WHV Overseas Application

Old Apr 5th 2014, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

jim1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WHV Overseas Application

Hi all,

I'm hoping to apply for a working holiday visa, but I have been living in Canada for 2.5 years, which will be 3 years when I plan to move. The WHV website states the following:

"usually be permanently living in the United Kingdom – this means you can be temporarily visiting another country when you lodge your application"

Other than this I can't find much information though. Does anyone have any experience of a case like mine? I take it I would have to return to the UK to apply. But how long for? How long does it usually take to process WHVs?

Any help much appreciated.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Default Re: WHV Overseas Application

I managed to find a bit more information on this by going through the application process:

"All applicants must be British citizens who normally reside in the United Kingdom (UK). This requirement is considered to be met if the applicant has not been absent from the UK for more than two years immediately preceding the application."

So I would not be able to apply from Canada. It does not make it clear what time period "immediately preceding" is however.

Any ideas how long I'd have to go back for including application processing time?

Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 12:37 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

can you get through Canadian channels rather than applying from UK?
Old Apr 6th 2014, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Afraid not; I don't have a Canadian passport, which is one of the requirements for their scheme.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 1:32 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

from what you posted the requirements state you must not of been outside the UK for more than 2yrs so being in Canada for 3yrs would exclude you from that.

You might have to contact Immigration office and ask them how long you would need to reside again in the UK before you can apply
Old Apr 6th 2014, 10:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

A long tome about the UK term 'Ordinarily Resident'

HERE
Old Apr 7th 2014, 1:40 am
Just Joined

So I rang immigration New Zealand and they stated that given the fact I have been in Canada for 2.5 years, I'd have to move back to the UK for .5 years and a day until I am eligible, which I should have made sense of really on reflection.

So looks like I'm going to have to find another route into New Zealand.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 2:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jim1
So I rang immigration New Zealand and they stated that given the fact I have been in Canada for 2.5 years, I'd have to move back to the UK for .5 years and a day until I am eligible, which I should have made sense of really on reflection.

So looks like I'm going to have to find another route into New Zealand.
Thank you for coming back and posting that. So very helpful to others.

FTR. Working holiday visas are fast. I believe that if one applies on-line, the result comes back in around 5 days.

Is moving back to the UK for 6months and a day not a goer?
Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Afraid not, my girlfriend who'd be coming with me is Canadian, and whilst there are no conditions for her to be in Canada to apply, it'd be too much hassle to get her a UK visa for that period of time.