Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Who is classed as a dependant and who is not please.

Who is classed as a dependant and who is not please.

Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:35 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 37
alice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nice
Default Who is classed as a dependant and who is not please.

Hi Bev ! that was a really useful link.

We've got 4 kids. The 2 youngest (14 & 9) i know can come over on our visa.
I've been told ( by other parents of teenagers) that my 17 yr old can do the same , if we can prove he earns a low wage ( which he does) & lives with us.

My question is : do we have to do this before he turns 18 (to be classed as our dependent ) ?

I have also been told to add my eldest son on our visa ( He's 20) He's a qualified electrical engineer & earns a decent wage ! He still lives at home with us.

I'm confused who would be classed as our dependents.

If we add him to our application & he has to apply in his own right, Do we have to reapply ? 3 different agencies ( who are trying to get me to sign up- But I just keep trying to get free info. from them) all say different things - Or there's ways round it , which they will sort out once I've paid them a fee !!

I don't want to apply twice & pay twice !!! HELP !!!!

thanks, Love Alice xxxxxxxxxxx
alice goodwin is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:22 am
  #2  
P2L
BE Forum Addict
 
P2L's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: NZ
Posts: 3,366
P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is classed as a dependant and who is not please.

Originally Posted by alice goodwin View Post
Hi Bev ! that was a really useful link.

We've got 4 kids. The 2 youngest (14 & 9) i know can come over on our visa.
I've been told ( by other parents of teenagers) that my 17 yr old can do the same , if we can prove he earns a low wage ( which he does) & lives with us.

My question is : do we have to do this before he turns 18 (to be classed as our dependent ) ?

I have also been told to add my eldest son on our visa ( He's 20) He's a qualified electrical engineer & earns a decent wage ! He still lives at home with us.

I'm confused who would be classed as our dependents.

If we add him to our application & he has to apply in his own right, Do we have to reapply ? 3 different agencies ( who are trying to get me to sign up- But I just keep trying to get free info. from them) all say different things - Or there's ways round it , which they will sort out once I've paid them a fee !!

I don't want to apply twice & pay twice !!! HELP !!!!

thanks, Love Alice xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Alice

Have a look at this link

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...hatisrequired/
P2L is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:28 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
newkiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 977
newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Who is classed as a dependant and who is not please.

Originally Posted by alice goodwin View Post
Hi Bev ! that was a really useful link.

We've got 4 kids. The 2 youngest (14 & 9) i know can come over on our visa.
I've been told ( by other parents of teenagers) that my 17 yr old can do the same , if we can prove he earns a low wage ( which he does) & lives with us.

My question is : do we have to do this before he turns 18 (to be classed as our dependent ) ?

I have also been told to add my eldest son on our visa ( He's 20) He's a qualified electrical engineer & earns a decent wage ! He still lives at home with us.

I'm confused who would be classed as our dependents.

If we add him to our application & he has to apply in his own right, Do we have to reapply ? 3 different agencies ( who are trying to get me to sign up- But I just keep trying to get free info. from them) all say different things - Or there's ways round it , which they will sort out once I've paid them a fee !!

I don't want to apply twice & pay twice !!! HELP !!!!

thanks, Love Alice xxxxxxxxxxx
You have to mention him in your application form, thats a given, even if he turns out to be non-dependant. You have to put his name down. As far as the guidance goes, it states if you are applying for residency a child under 24 is dependent if you can show he is financially dependent in part or in full on you. Why not claim him as a dependent, with supporting evidence that he is living with you and you are helping him with financial/ living support. (im sure you can prove he is not able to afford to buy his own place, therefore dependent on you still?)

If he is found to be non-dependent the NZIS will let you know.

Either way its important to make sure all your children are mentioned in your application.
newkiwi is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:34 am
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2
alison stevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who is classed as a dependant and who is not please.

HI this is my first post on NZ forum as originally looking at Oz. However we think NZ may be better for us as OH turns 45 in October.
Anyhoo we are in same position as you. 4 kids eldest 20 qualified electrician, daughter 17- 2nd year apprentice electrician and 2 boys aged 12 and 9. All our children live at home but the difference is the older 2 work for their dad so are sort of dependant on him for their wages. Do you think this makes them any more dependant? hehe I suppose we could give them the sack making them unemployed send them to college full time then claim them as dependants!! only joking.
Our plan is to poss get visa granted get it validated return to uk finish daughters apprenticeship and then make the move. Just need to make sure that we go for the right country.
alison stevens is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:54 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 37
alice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nicealice goodwin is just really nice
Default Re: Who is classed as a dependant and who is not please.

Originally Posted by newkiwi View Post
You have to mention him in your application form, thats a given, even if he turns out to be non-dependant. You have to put his name down. As far as the guidance goes, it states if you are applying for residency a child under 24 is dependent if you can show he is financially dependent in part or in full on you. Why not claim him as a dependent, with supporting evidence that he is living with you and you are helping him with financial/ living support. (im sure you can prove he is not able to afford to buy his own place, therefore dependent on you still?)

If he is found to be non-dependent the NZIS will let you know.

Either way its important to make sure all your children are mentioned in your application.
Hi newkiwi
Thanks for that info !! It's a great help !

My sons earns nearly as much as my hubby - so even if they say he's NOT financially dependent on us - We won't have to start again ?
Would my son then need to send a EOI ?

Love Alice xx
alice goodwin is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:51 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
newkiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 977
newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Who is classed as a dependant and who is not please.

Originally Posted by alice goodwin View Post
Hi newkiwi
Thanks for that info !! It's a great help !

My sons earns nearly as much as my hubby - so even if they say he's NOT financially dependent on us - We won't have to start again ?
Would my son then need to send a EOI ?

Love Alice xx
If he doesnt qualify as a dependent child and he wants to move to Nz he will have to do so under another option. Some options available in that case include a working holiday visa (which is good for a year, and easy to get), puttingin an EOI undr his own steam and being assessed points wise individually, applying for a workpermit if he can get a job offer. There is also some sort of remaining relative visa for a sibling who is the only one not having moved to Nz, but I dont know the details of what is required for that. THats why its important to name him on your application so NZIS are aware of everyone in your family should he want to apply under his own name in future.

Might be worth a call to Nz house asking what info they usually require when deciding on who is dependent or not, and making sure you wont all get refused in case he is found to be non-dependent.

Last edited by newkiwi; Apr 23rd 2008 at 9:53 am.
newkiwi is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.