British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Who is classed as a dependant and who is not please. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/who-classed-dependant-who-not-please-531162/)

alice goodwin Apr 21st 2008 1:35 pm

Who is classed as a dependant and who is not please.

Hi Bev ! that was a really useful link.

We've got 4 kids. The 2 youngest (14 & 9) i know can come over on our visa.
I've been told ( by other parents of teenagers) that my 17 yr old can do the same , if we can prove he earns a low wage ( which he does) & lives with us.

My question is : do we have to do this before he turns 18 (to be classed as our dependent ) ?

I have also been told to add my eldest son on our visa ( He's 20) He's a qualified electrical engineer & earns a decent wage ! He still lives at home with us.

I'm confused who would be classed as our dependents.

If we add him to our application & he has to apply in his own right, Do we have to reapply ? 3 different agencies ( who are trying to get me to sign up- But I just keep trying to get free info. from them) all say different things - Or there's ways round it , which they will sort out once I've paid them a fee !!

I don't want to apply twice & pay twice !!! HELP !!!!

thanks, Love Alice xxxxxxxxxxx

P2L Apr 22nd 2008 3:22 am

Re: Who is classed as a dependant and who is not please.

Originally Posted by alice goodwin (Post 6242691)

I've been told ( by other parents of teenagers) that my 17 yr old can do the same , if we can prove he earns a low wage ( which he does) & lives with us.

My question is : do we have to do this before he turns 18 (to be classed as our dependent ) ?

I have also been told to add my eldest son on our visa ( He's 20) He's a qualified electrical engineer & earns a decent wage ! He still lives at home with us.

If we add him to our application & he has to apply in his own right, Do we have to reapply ? 3 different agencies ( who are trying to get me to sign up- But I just keep trying to get free info. from them) all say different things - Or there's ways round it , which they will sort out once I've paid them a fee !!

Hi Alice

Have a look at this link

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...hatisrequired/

newkiwi Apr 22nd 2008 9:28 am

Originally Posted by alice goodwin (Post 6242691)

You have to mention him in your application form, thats a given, even if he turns out to be non-dependant. You have to put his name down. As far as the guidance goes, it states if you are applying for residency a child under 24 is dependent if you can show he is financially dependent in part or in full on you. Why not claim him as a dependent, with supporting evidence that he is living with you and you are helping him with financial/ living support. (im sure you can prove he is not able to afford to buy his own place, therefore dependent on you still?)

If he is found to be non-dependent the NZIS will let you know.

Either way its important to make sure all your children are mentioned in your application.

alison stevens Apr 22nd 2008 10:34 am

HI this is my first post on NZ forum as originally looking at Oz. However we think NZ may be better for us as OH turns 45 in October.
Anyhoo we are in same position as you. 4 kids eldest 20 qualified electrician, daughter 17- 2nd year apprentice electrician and 2 boys aged 12 and 9. All our children live at home but the difference is the older 2 work for their dad so are sort of dependant on him for their wages. Do you think this makes them any more dependant? hehe I suppose we could give them the sack making them unemployed send them to college full time then claim them as dependants!! only joking.
Our plan is to poss get visa granted get it validated return to uk finish daughters apprenticeship and then make the move. Just need to make sure that we go for the right country.

alice goodwin Apr 22nd 2008 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by newkiwi (Post 6246899)
You have to mention him in your application form, thats a given, even if he turns out to be non-dependant. You have to put his name down. As far as the guidance goes, it states if you are applying for residency a child under 24 is dependent if you can show he is financially dependent in part or in full on you. Why not claim him as a dependent, with supporting evidence that he is living with you and you are helping him with financial/ living support. (im sure you can prove he is not able to afford to buy his own place, therefore dependent on you still?)

If he is found to be non-dependent the NZIS will let you know.

Either way its important to make sure all your children are mentioned in your application.

Hi newkiwi
Thanks for that info !! It's a great help !

My sons earns nearly as much as my hubby - so even if they say he's NOT financially dependent on us - We won't have to start again ?
Would my son then need to send a EOI ?

Love Alice xx

newkiwi Apr 23rd 2008 9:51 am

Originally Posted by alice goodwin (Post 6249901)
Hi newkiwi
Thanks for that info !! It's a great help !

My sons earns nearly as much as my hubby - so even if they say he's NOT financially dependent on us - We won't have to start again ?
Would my son then need to send a EOI ?

Love Alice xx

If he doesnt qualify as a dependent child and he wants to move to Nz he will have to do so under another option. Some options available in that case include a working holiday visa (which is good for a year, and easy to get), puttingin an EOI undr his own steam and being assessed points wise individually, applying for a workpermit if he can get a job offer. There is also some sort of remaining relative visa for a sibling who is the only one not having moved to Nz, but I dont know the details of what is required for that. THats why its important to name him on your application so NZIS are aware of everyone in your family should he want to apply under his own name in future.

Might be worth a call to Nz house asking what info they usually require when deciding on who is dependent or not, and making sure you wont all get refused in case he is found to be non-dependent.