British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Who can witness declarations and certify certificates? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/who-can-witness-declarations-certify-certificates-683865/)

MrsCheeks Aug 29th 2010 6:00 pm

Who can witness declarations and certify certificates?

Rgards having witnesses sign declarations - will they accept a JP (Justice of the Peace) signature for immigration purposes?

JP's don't charge for their services on witnessing legal documents you see, so that would be a load off for anyone going through the process. Massive bonus for me 7 yrs ago when I was registering a business and couldnt afford the solicitors fees!

Those in the UK, you can get JP details from local council offices or even in the Yellow Pages :thumbup:

BEVS Sep 3rd 2010 2:06 am

Re: Who can witness declarations and certify certificates?

Yes. A Justice of the Peace would be OK.

Persephone Sep 3rd 2010 11:57 am

When I needed certified copies to send in with my ITA I got quotes for £2 per certification by some solicitors and that was in London so it isn't that expensive. The notary public I had to use for my NZ occupational registration was a lot more...I had no choice with that:sneaky:

BevK Sep 3rd 2010 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 8823312)
When I needed certified copies to send in with my ITA I got quotes for £2 per certification by some solicitors and that was in London so it isn't that expensive. The notary public I had to use for my NZ occupational registration was a lot more...I had no choice with that:sneaky:

Thanks guys for all your input. Got charged £5 in London which I was quite happy with until I saw this - solicitor tried to charge us £10, but my partner bartered him down to £5. Never mind, all done now, good to know for future reference though. :thumbup:

joannii Sep 4th 2010 8:30 am

Is a headteacher ok?

BevK Sep 4th 2010 11:27 am

Originally Posted by joannii (Post 8825379)
Is a headteacher ok?

Not sure about certifying certificates but definitely not for witnessing declarations unfortunately. :unsure:

gaz1277 Sep 5th 2010 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by BevK (Post 8825611)
Not sure about certifying certificates but definitely not for witnessing declarations unfortunately. :unsure:

Is a British Army Officer OK for certifying certificates?

BevK Sep 5th 2010 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by gaz1277 (Post 8827889)
Is a British Army Officer OK for certifying certificates?

From a bit of reading that I have done, it is the same bodies that witness declarations that have to certify certificates as well. I found it easier to send in the originals with photocopies and let immigration certify them when I sent my application in. That way it doesnt cost you anything except the postage to return them to you. Hope this helps. Somebody else might know differently??:unsure: