Where and when to start?

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Fayebalina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where and when to start?

Hi all, me and my family are looking to move over to NZ in the next 3-5 years. I dont know were to start the ball rolling or if it is too soon to do so now?

Any advie would be much appreciated

Faye xxx
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where and when to start?

Hi there

welcome!

All the info you need is here: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

It's easy to understand and mostly depends on what route you want to take.
check the points indicator on the website. It's a good starting point to find out first of all if you qualify for enough points to immigrate.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...or.htm?level=1

100 points get you into the pool but you're more likely to be selected for residence if you have a job offer/over 140 points or any bonus points for a qualification or skill on the long term shortage lists.

the process takes a while if you don't have a job offer (as we are currently finding out) but you could probably get residence from start to finish in less than a year if you have a simple case and everything goes smoothly. Once you have PR then you have a year to take it up so that gives you approximately 2 years to work with.

I would suggest now is probably a little too early for you given your time frame however, there is nothing to stop you getting your ducks in a row. Do some investigations. Find out if you have enough points and perhaps get your skills assessed by NZQA so you know exactly where you stand with regards to the immigration process then when you are ready, you can submit your Expression of Interest.

If you don't have enough points, there is always the job first route. Get over on a recce trip and find yourself a job, then apply for residence once you have a job offer.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that, will check it out. I was also wondering if both my husband and myself are able to join our points together as i'm a midwife and he is an electrician so both classed as skilled! I think?

xxx Faye
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

i'd guess a joint application's the way to go... check out details on nzis to check but you just need to work out who gets you the most points as principle applicant... check out skills shortages to work it out..

if you do the points checker on nzis to try out different combinations of your skills/experience/quals etc etc before you do the EOI... it'll help you work out the best way to go maybe

hth
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:16 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Faye
Yes best way is for both of you to go on the same application. But you cannot join your points together I'm afraid. One of you has to be the principal candidate and the other the non principal one. Only the principal candidate's points are counted though you will get a few extra points [20 I think] if the other partner has a skilled job.

Both your jobs are on the long term skill shortage list so you should have no trouble getting selected and going through the process. One thing to watch is that you can't get permanent residency unless you have occupational registration [ you would get a work to residence visa instead ] and from reading posts on here it looks like it is easier for a nurse to be registered than it is for an electrician. So maybe better for you to be principal.
If you want to move in 3-5y time then it is probably too early for you to start applying. Without a job offer it will probably take up to a year to get the visas [assuming you go for PR], it took me 7m. Then you have up to 1.5years to get to NZ. Unless you get the visas and then go over and activate them, come back here and then you have 2y to re enter NZ until your returning residents visa runs out. Though I have a feeling I'm probably just complicating matters here
Sue
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:02 am
luckybean

angmargien is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fayebalina
Hi all, me and my family are looking to move over to NZ in the next 3-5 years. I dont know were to start the ball rolling or if it is too soon to do so now?

Any advie would be much appreciated

Faye xxx
In my opinion, immigration are a complete waste of time and money! You are better off coving your own back by doing the research yourself and making sure you know everything which is all on the NZ immigration website....
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of

I would keep eye on your BMI, waist measurement, blood pressure and just keep healthy. If you have any operations or see any Consultants regarding a problem - ask them (when you have been discharged from the hospital) for a letter "to whom it may concern" which gives your diagnosis and prognosis.

My waist was 1cm too big and I had to have an extra blood test!!

Good luck

Paula