British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   where to start? nz immigration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/where-start-nz-immigration-873970/)

NZLorraine Mar 8th 2016 10:29 am

where to start? nz immigration

Hi Guys, Would appreciate some advise. I am a New Zealander who has lived in the UK for 30 years, married to an English man with 2 children. We are wanting to retire to NZ. Myself and the kids have NZ passports, however, obtained the forms for my husband to apply for visa. They are a nightmare and cannot seem to find someone who can advise on how to fill them out/where to send them?. Does anyone know or can recommend a NZ immigration advice service based in the UK (London area) that could help with the process?

KOH2 Mar 8th 2016 4:51 pm

Re: where to start? nz immigration

Originally Posted by NZLorraine (Post 11889572)
Hi Guys, Would appreciate some advise. I am a New Zealander who has lived in the UK for 30 years, married to an English man with 2 children. We are wanting to retire to NZ. Myself and the kids have NZ passports, however, obtained the forms for my husband to apply for visa.

Hello NZLorraine,

Welcome to the BE forum:) I'm in a similar boat to your hubby (except we've only been in the UK for about 20 years) & am also quite new to the forum.

They are a nightmare and cannot seem to find someone who can advise on how to fill them out/where to send them?. Does anyone know or can recommend a NZ immigration advice service based in the UK (London area) that could help with the process?

Wait for NZ to wake up - I'm sure the people will be along shortly to help you out. IMHO, you really don't need an advisor to go through all the forms - it really is doable. Just read EVERYTHING through a few good times and start collecting the supporting evidence (bearing in mind their validity) so thing can be done within your time frame.

I'm Polish so had to get an extra police check from my home country but everything else, whilst perhaps initially overwhelming, you can really manage to do yourselves (and save some money in the already expensive process). So just take a deep breath & tackle one thing at a time - go ahead and ask on the forum if anything is unclear. I'm perhaps used to beaurocracy but that doesn't mean it makes it easier. At least you don't have to be earning a minimum income for your hubby to join you in NZ but if you haven't done it already I'd apply for British citizenship BEFORE you leave just so that you don't have any problems coming back to the UK should things not turn out as you expect over at the NZ end.

Also read through some of the stories here on the forum - it's useful to compare your lot to other people's experiences (good or bad).

Wishing you lots of luck and as seamless as possible transfer to the other side;)

MrsFychan Mar 8th 2016 5:50 pm

as KOH2 has said it is really quite possible to do it yourself you just need to read the forms and the booklet that should of come with them that explains exactly what they want. Its all about evidence that you live as one unit.

any thing that is really baffling just ask on here, although no one on here is a immigration agent, they can answer on their own experience and knowledge they have picked up from the forum.

james01708 Mar 8th 2016 6:29 pm

I found the forms to be overwhelming, but using the forums and calling the very helpful Nz immigration helped a lot.

escapedtonz Mar 15th 2016 9:58 am

Hi Guys, Would appreciate some advise. I am a New Zealander who has lived in the UK for 30 years, married to an English man with 2 children. We are wanting to retire to NZ. Myself and the kids have NZ passports, however, obtained the forms for my husband to apply for visa. They are a nightmare and cannot seem to find someone who can advise on how to fill them out/where to send them?. Does anyone know or can recommend a NZ immigration advice service based in the UK (London area) that could help with the process?

It shouldn't be too difficult.
As you know, both of your kids and of course you are covered as you have NZ passports. All you need is a visa for your hubby.

How do I apply?

Your hubby will be applying for Residence under the Partnership Category. He will need to complete Residence Application (INZ 1000). At the same time you will have to complete Partnership Support Form for Residence (INZ 1178). These forms aren't difficult to complete. Just make sure you both answer all the questions truthfully and provide the necessary info. Your hubby will need to provide relationship evidence to support the claim. If he can provide at least 5 years worth then his application will be "upgraded" to Permanent Residency status. If you can only provide over 1 but up to 5 years then the application will remain as Residence. Still a permanent visa type but it will have travel conditions and there'll be a further fee a couple of years down the line to change it for Permanent residency to remove any travel conditions.
He'll also have to provide a full medical report and police certificates for every country he has lived in for 12 months or more plus the fees.

I'd urge you not to seek assistance and do it yourself. An advisor will charge you like they were a solicitor....£100...maybe £150 per hour ? Won't be cheap.

NZLorraine Apr 17th 2016 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by KOH2 (Post 11889827)
Hello NZLorraine,

Welcome to the BE forum:) I'm in a similar boat to your hubby (except we've only been in the UK for about 20 years) & am also quite new to the forum.

Wait for NZ to wake up - I'm sure the people will be along shortly to help you out. IMHO, you really don't need an advisor to go through all the forms - it really is doable. Just read EVERYTHING through a few good times and start collecting the supporting evidence (bearing in mind their validity) so thing can be done within your time frame.

I'm Polish so had to get an extra police check from my home country but everything else, whilst perhaps initially overwhelming, you can really manage to do yourselves (and save some money in the already expensive process). So just take a deep breath & tackle one thing at a time - go ahead and ask on the forum if anything is unclear. I'm perhaps used to beaurocracy but that doesn't mean it makes it easier. At least you don't have to be earning a minimum income for your hubby to join you in NZ but if you haven't done it already I'd apply for British citizenship BEFORE you leave just so that you don't have any problems coming back to the UK should things not turn out as you expect over at the NZ end.

Also read through some of the stories here on the forum - it's useful to compare your lot to other people's experiences (good or bad).

Wishing you lots of luck and as seamless as possible transfer to the other side;)

Thanks for your advice, took my time and even rang NZ immigration who were really great, you were right take your ti:thumbsup:me reading the form it seems more daunting than it actually was. My advice to anyone going through this is take 2 copies of the form use one as a draft then ring NZ immigration who are quite happy to go through the application with you step by step. Our application has been submitted and waiting for passport/visa (:fingerscrossed:), next stage is sorting dog immigration.

PB65 Apr 18th 2016 7:33 am

One of the great things about NZ immigration in that you can actually talk to a real person, try doing that with Canada immigration no chance. Good luck with the dog immigration passport photo , no baring of teeth :rofl: Seriously as with everyone else on here good luck for the future.