Where do we start?

Old May 17th 2013, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Katej is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where do we start?

Help... At the age of 60, my husband has just been offered a job from the immediate skills shortage!! We're both very excited about it but daunted by all the paperwork and form filling etc and don't quite know where to begin. My questions at the moment are:
Can he still get a 3 year work visa at his age and if so what visa does he need?
Can I get in to NZ on the basis that he has got work and if so what kind of visa do I need?
His passport runs out before the 3 years is up, will we need to renew it now?
What checks do we need other than medical and police checks?
Roughly how much will it cost us to get across?
How quickly can this happen as his new employer would like him to start mid-july?
Any help will be much appreciated
Old May 17th 2013, 10:27 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we start?

Welcome to BE kate j

take a look here
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rktemporarily/

and here

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...y/howdoiapply/

if your husband is granted a temp work visa then you can apply under the
family stream

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm

as for costs that all depends on what you intend to bring over and how
Old May 18th 2013, 12:40 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

It cost us around 4,000 GBP two years ago to ship a three bedroom house lot of furniture. We used PSS, you could get quotes from several movers before making a decision who to give your business too.

We didn't ship a car or pets and we have no children.

Then there's the cost of flights, accommodation on arrival etc. Unless your husband's prospective boss is arranging anything for you or paying any of your relocation costs.

I don't know much about visas, as I'm married to a New Zealander and I have a family category visa and I'm now a permanent resident of NZ.
Old May 18th 2013, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

we have just had our WTR visa granted in 4 days , cost £687 however medicals were a bit of a snag and in Devon the next appointment was 2 months later, cost about £727
The police checks were really quick and cost £140
A 40ft container with PSS is costing just under £6,500, people on here say haggle but I really tried and they barely budged, offered £150 off
And the flights for 2adults 2kids cost £2,692
6 weeks holiday accommodation in a 3bed unserviced apartment is costing £2,166 and a hire car for 2 weeks £377

TOTAL £13,289

There are hidden charges like getting permission from the mortgage company to rent out the house £500 plus all the charges for closing accounts etc they charge for breathing over here!

If you need any more info just ask, good luck
Old May 18th 2013, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your advice... it really is a bit of a mine field but we're determined to get there.
I've got a few more questions today if anybody can help??

Do you think it would be worth paying an advisor to help us with the forms and if so how much? At this stage we're just looking for a 3 year work visa for my husband and whatever visa I need (I think it's a partner visa though haven't seen forms for that yet)

Will my husband need to renew his passport which expires in July 2015? and lastly

Would it be worthwhile shipping our furniture out, we've got accommodation but it's unfurnished.

Thanks again... any / all help is appreciated
Old May 18th 2013, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

I hope my replies are in red??
Originally Posted by Katej
Thanks for all your advice... it really is a bit of a mine field but we're determined to get there.
I've got a few more questions today if anybody can help??

Do you think it would be worth paying an advisor to help us with the forms and if so how much? At this stage we're just looking for a 3 year work visa for my husband and whatever visa I need (I think it's a partner visa though haven't seen forms for that yet) i would say no, we used a advisor for our LTBV but the temp/WTR and partnership visa were really really simple

Will my husband need to renew his passport which expires in July 2015? and lastly its always best to get as many years on your passport as it costs a small fortune to get one in NZ

Would it be worthwhile shipping our furniture out, we've got accommodation but it's unfurnished. most people do as it is cheaper than starting again over there as it can be very expensive

Thanks again... any / all help is appreciated
Old May 18th 2013, 10:00 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think it would be worth paying an advisor to help us with the forms and if so how much?
No, it's not worth paying an, 'advisor' to help with the forms. If there is a problem with one's health or any character issues i.e. being detained at the pleasure of H.M. or coming to the attention of the local constabulary in a negative way then an immigration advisor might be useful. Sometimes a family issue i.e. wanting to take child/ren from a previous relationship overseas can add complications.

Other than that, don't pay someone else to fill in the forms on your behalf. You are an intelligent resourceful person. Have you looked up the New Zealand Immigration Website ? It's an official nz government website that's got lots of advice and guidance, and yes, forms to complete.

The fees for these advisors run into thousands of pounds. Plenty of people have filled in their own forms and submitted them successfully without paying money hand over fist to an advisor.

I got a phone call from NZ Immigration in Britain as part of the process for getting my Returning Residents Visa reissued in 2011. If she was my Case Officer then so be it. However, she was able to ask me for the further information that she wanted regarding my visa application. This was basically confirmation of my relationship status with my kiwi husband which I was able to supply. In due course, my passport came back with the RRV in it.
Old May 18th 2013, 10:05 pm

At this stage we're just looking for a 3 year work visa for my husband and whatever visa I need (I think it's a partner visa though haven't seen forms for that yet)
Again, I would advise you to look into the NZ Government Immigration Service website for information on visas. Are you getting any help from your husband's prospective employer regarding what visa you will need ?
Old May 18th 2013, 10:20 pm

Will my husband need to renew his passport which expires in July 2015? )
No, I don't think so. This contradicts another contributor's opinion.

My passport expires in 2014. I'll just have to put up with the cost of renewing it and then having my Visa put in my new passport. You really don't want the extra paperwork of renewing your husband's passport on top of everything else you are trying to do at present.

I guess May is one of the busiest times at the UK passport office which could mean a delay in processing his passport application.

I'd say, just use the passport he has so that you get here and get established in NZ. The passport can get renewed when it falls due.

Please don't think you can give the UK PA the impression that you are still living in Britain when you apply for your British passport from overseas. People have been caught out doing this. They forfeit their fee and have to start the application process all over again and this time pay the larger fee for overseas applications which should have been done in the first place. This is what I'll have to do next year when I need to renew my passport i.e. just put up with the extra cost of an overseas renewall.

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 18th 2013 at 10:28 pm.
Old May 18th 2013, 10:35 pm

Would it be worthwhile shipping our furniture out, we've got accommodation but it's unfurnished.
Yeah, ship all your furniture out. You might not think much of some of your possessions but at least you know what's wrong with them. Um, I mean, how they work !

Your stuff is a 'comfort blanket' when all around you is so new when you arrive to unfamiliar surroundings.

You probably can't imagine yourself saying, 'hello sofa, I've missed you', or, 'hello bed, it's been a while hasn't it ?'

Some people say it's like Christmas when your container of household goods arrives at your door in NZ (provided that's what you meant to happen).

If there's things you really don't want then fair enough. I'd advise against asking yourself, 'will we really need that in NZ ?' The answer is, 'yes'. Even if on arrival in NZ you ask yourself why did you bring it. Rather have the confidence to chuck something after you have settled than wish you still had it and regret chucking it prior to leaving Britain.

The advice to, 'bring everything' when you move from Britain is good advice. Unless you have, for instance, a tent that's mouldy and a pushbike that's rusty etc and was due to be ditched anyway. We gave away our gas barbeque and our petrol lawnmower in Britain on Freecycle. It was just to much heartache getting them forensically clean for NZ customs. I threw away my wicker or sea grass baskets as they were made of natural fibres. Other things such as leather goods, an ornamental ostrich egg shell, sheepskin, wooden ornaments etc I declared on the paperwork. It dawned on me after we had been through our NZ customs inspection that they weren't interested in my wooden chopping boards and wooden spoons from my kitchen. They were more interested in my vacuum cleaner !

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 18th 2013 at 10:48 pm. Reason: post wasn't long enough
Old May 19th 2013, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Dont throw out or give away your wicker, I brought in loads chairs, baskets etc and they never batted an eyelid.

The golden rule is if you like it, its in good knick = keep it.
Old May 19th 2013, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Will my husband need to renew his passport which expires in July 2015? and lastly

You can only renew a passport 9 months in advance of its expiry date.
Old May 20th 2013, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

We renewed our passports about two years before they expired, UKPA added the nine months into the end. I costed out renewals and visa tranfers, so decided it was cheaper to get new 10 year passports for our blue stickers.
Old May 20th 2013, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for the info. Because it conflicted a little got hubby phoned NZ immigration in London today and they told him he would need a new passport before we applied for visa! Going to fast track passports, get our medicals and x-rays next week and will look at Police check form now if there is one.
Old May 20th 2013, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

My next question.... does anybody know what we need to bring when we go for our general medical? The INZ1007 form says that you have to bring 'All your medical notes and reports, immunisation record, blood test results, X-rays, scans and anything else that is relevant to your health' ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.