When to start applying

Old Dec 16th 2007, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

misterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nice
Default When to start applying

Hi all,

My wife and I have set a date for our hopeful arrival in NZ - we're aiming at March '09 - this will give us time to pay off our existing debts and sell up. We're planning on going the EOI route, and am wondering when we should start getting everything together and submit our EOI. Is it earlier the better? Or should we start in the summer?
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:48 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: When to start applying

Hi Mr Jingo:

That can be a curly one as there may well be a few variables such as your qualifications, your work experience, whether you have a job offer in New Zealand and so on.

You can come over on a visitor visa, secure a job and get a work permit in short order if you have a skill that is in demand. From there you can put in your Expression of Interest (EOI). If you are successful and pulled from the pool you will be sent an Invitation to Apply (ITA) whereby you will need to supply the evidence for that which you claimed on your EOI as well as provide a police clearance for any country that you have lived in for more than a year for the past ten years (the police clearance is valid for six months) and you will also need to have your medicals and x-rays which have a shelf life of three months.

I hope this helps.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

misterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nice

Originally Posted by happynz View Post
Hi Mr Jingo:

That can be a curly one as there may well be a few variables such as your qualifications, your work experience, whether you have a job offer in New Zealand and so on.

You can come over on a visitor visa, secure a job and get a work permit in short order if you have a skill that is in demand. From there you can put in your Expression of Interest (EOI). If you are successful and pulled from the pool you will be sent an Invitation to Apply (ITA) whereby you will need to supply the evidence for that which you claimed on your EOI as well as provide a police clearance for any country that you have lived in for more than a year for the past ten years (the police clearance is valid for six months) and you will also need to have your medicals and x-rays which have a shelf life of three months.

I hope this helps.

Thanks happynz,

My wife would be happier if we apply before we go. That we are going is definate - we've talked a lot about it over the past year, and now have finally set a deadline.
Looking at the emigration site, we both individually have enough points to be selected, but as my wife is a nurse, we were told to put her down as the main applicant as nurses are more desirable (I work in Education/IT management). The plan was to apply, and look for jobs from here, if none turn up, then go over there and look in person.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 11:37 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by misterjingo View Post
Thanks happynz,

My wife would be happier if we apply before we go. That we are going is definite - we've talked a lot about it over the past year, and now have finally set a deadline.
Looking at the emigration site, we both individually have enough points to be selected, but as my wife is a nurse, we were told to put her down as the main applicant as nurses are more desirable (I work in Education/IT management). The plan was to apply, and look for jobs from here, if none turn up, then go over there and look in person.
A nurse, eh? You probably will need to check into professional registration and all that. That may be a bit time consuming so as a first step why not contact the New Zealand District Health Boards and see what they recommend.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 1:21 am

Try this linky http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498994
Old Dec 17th 2007, 4:46 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz View Post
as well as provide a police clearance for any country that you have lived in for more than a year for the past ten years
And even if you've not lived in your country of birth for over 10 years, you also need a police cert from there, too.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 12:08 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

I would apply for your Nurse Registration before you apply for a job (that'll take 3-4 months minimum). Before you can apply for registration you will need your police check (that'll take 40 days). Apply for your EOI with a job offer (a couple of weeks if you time it right).Your ITA should only take 1-2 months max with a job offer.

Now fit all of the above times into your own timetable and bobs your uncle
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Izzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to all

Hi MisterJingo

Great advice Ned. Just one comment, I'd add more time to
Your ITA should only take 1-2 months max with a job offer.
Anything can delay the decision on an ITA: medical assessor, more evidence, something missing, backlog of applications. So add an extra 6-8 weeks to be more comfortable.

We started this whole thing believing it was 1-2 months for ITA and it has lead to massive amounts of personal stress and pressure from employer (currently 5 months and no decision).

So my advice would be build yourself a safety net of some extra time and reduce your stress levels.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 4:47 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Originally Posted by Izzy and Ian View Post
Hi MisterJingo

Great advice Ned. Just one comment, I'd add more time to

Anything can delay the decision on an ITA: medical assessor, more evidence, something missing, backlog of applications. So add an extra 6-8 weeks to be more comfortable.

We started this whole thing believing it was 1-2 months for ITA and it has lead to massive amounts of personal stress and pressure from employer (currently 5 months and no decision).

So my advice would be build yourself a safety net of some extra time and reduce your stress levels.
Yep, a bit of a safety net will help with your sanity