When do you get 'medical referred'?

Old Mar 11th 2012, 3:46 am
Just Joined

taless is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When do you get 'medical referred'?

Hi all,

I will be submitting an EOI soon for SMC, and have been reading the forum.

Was wondering about medical referrals.

I am someone who had childhood asthma. Discontinued any regular inhalers since age 12. Only got a prescription for a reliever inhaler 1 year ago when after a bout of winter cold, I got slightly wheezy. And since then never used it again.

Also had some rather bad acne a few years back, these were treated with some oral antibiotics and topical lotions, made a good recovery. Also had eczema as a young teenage (required some mid-potency topical steroids, which is why I saw a doctor back then - not used any since then!).

Being a doctor myself, I foresee myself being ticked "no significant or abnormal findings."

Does it mean my personal medical history would almost certainly earn me a 'referral', or would the 'no significant or abnormal findings' help me to avoid one? My main concern is time - hopefully by avoiding a referral I could get a Residency visa in the very limited 2.5 months that I will have.

Thanks!
Old Mar 11th 2012, 4:15 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do you get 'medical referred'?

firstly the waiting time for Visa's is from the time you get your ITA and not when you submit an EOI.
Medicals are only valid for 3mths so no point doing it before you get the ITA. and they must be done by an authorised Panel Doctor
see here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/panel...neldoctors.htm for approved list (use the search option to narrow it down).

I wouldn't worry about the asthma or the acne, I have asthma now and was fine, pulled up on a calcified nodule on the lung but after being referred was cleared.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Mar 11th 2012 at 4:18 am.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 4:19 am
Just Joined

taless is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi MrsFychan,

Many thanks for that. Yes I am aware that Medicals are only valid for 3 months, the panel doctor requirement.

Was asking the questions mainly because I was planning ahead. Need to be in Auckland from August onwards, and I anticipate only being able to submit my documents from early May - was concerned a 'medical referral' will tilt the balance from having sufficient time to not enough!
Old Mar 11th 2012, 5:09 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

If your work visa is for 12 months or less then you are not required to get a medical certificate unless you have risk factors for TB. May be a way round your problem as you're thinking of applying for one anyway. May work if you do get referred and NZIS drag their heels?