British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   What's my chances? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/whats-my-chances-548842/)

carl-r Jul 14th 2008 6:00 am

What's my chances?

Hi all. I have been looking to live and work abroad for a while now. I have looked at the skills lists to get into Aus and New Zealand but it doesn't look too good for me. I work at the moment as a building labourer and have been a Retained Firefighter for over 10 years in a busy Devon station in the UK. I also have a class 2 LGV but will probably take my class 1 soon for extra fexibility. I thought I was on to a loser untill I spoke to a guy who was back on holiday from New Zealand. He went over 2 years ago on holiday and has stayed ever since doing groundworks. He is getting his citizenship soon. He says they are crying out for people that are prepared to work well and it should be easy for me to get in. My question is. Do I have a chance of getting in? I would be prepared to do any type of work. Many thanks. Carl.

Genesis Jul 14th 2008 7:27 am

Re: What's my chances?

Originally Posted by carl-r (Post 6568333)
Hi all. I have been looking to live and work abroad for a while now. I have looked at the skills lists to get into Aus and New Zealand but it doesn't look too good for me. I work at the moment as a building labourer and have been a Retained Firefighter for over 10 years in a busy Devon station in the UK. I also have a class 2 LGV but will probably take my class 1 soon for extra fexibility. I thought I was on to a loser untill I spoke to a guy who was back on holiday from New Zealand. He went over 2 years ago on holiday and has stayed ever since doing groundworks. He is getting his citizenship soon. He says they are crying out for people that are prepared to work well and it should be easy for me to get in. My question is. Do I have a chance of getting in? I would be prepared to do any type of work. Many thanks. Carl.

I think class 1 driving is on the skills shortage list. Anyways a mate of mine got a job as a sales rep here...thats hardly on the skills list aye? Correct me if I am wrong, all you have to do is get a job offer from a bona fide 'accredited' company and you are away!!!

I think they have to show that you are the only person who will or can do the job over a kiwi or someone who has perm residency/citizenship. I think the salary has to be a certain amount..is it $50k and you have to stay in that job for a length of time? Last I heard was it was a measly 3 months..then you can do what you like, I know 2 people who have done that!!!!

Then of course after getting the job y'all have to jump thru' the NZIS paper work, medical, police check hoops etc....but think carefully afore you choose Oz over NZ or vice versa.........they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bloody different....its research time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!