Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

What's the cheapest way to get the medical done in Auckland? Is $350 a good price?

What's the cheapest way to get the medical done in Auckland? Is $350 a good price?

Old May 21st 2008, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

hannahc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's the cheapest way to get the medical done in Auckland? Is $350 a good price?

I've just moved to Auckland from London. I have a working holiday visa until Sept 2009 but want to apply for residency. It's a long story but basically my residency application was never submitted back in UK (couldn't afford the extra cost) which now means I have to do a new medical.

I've only been here since Saturday and we are house sitting/staying with friends and of no fixed home address at the moment, so I didn't think I should register with a GP since I assumed as everything costs money here it was pointless until we are settled......

BUT my BF (who I have been with for 5 years) is encouraging me to get my medical done asap before I get busy with a job etc (looking at the moment). I think he is right but the GP up the road from where we are staying won't do it. I looked online and found a place in Ponsonby who will do the medical for $350 including the doctors exam, blood tests and chest xray. Is this a good deal?
THANKS
Old May 22nd 2008, 12:04 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's the cheapest way to get the medical done in Auckland? Is $350 a good price

Why the hurry to get the medical done ?
I can't see why this needs to be done until you have submitted an EOI , least been selected from the pool & feel you stand a good chance of being offered an ITA. You won't have done this until you have your job surely.
Do you have your police checks ? They can take more time .

There is nothing to stop you registering with a local GP, it's free to register and then when you are finally settled at your own address you can have the records transferred to a news GP practice. It's painless, quick and easy .Simply a matter of filling in one form.
If you visit the GP or nurse, then there will be a fee to pay.

Regarding the medicals ,you should ring loads of GP practices to find the best deal .
Old May 22nd 2008, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Default Re: What's the cheapest way to get the medical done in Auckland? Is $350 a good price

Thanks for your quick reply. I didn't think I had to do an EOI.

The rush to get the medical is because my partner wants my residency application to be started as soon as possible just in case something happens to him (he is older than me - 52, I am 30 - and feeling a bit morbid!) and so I have better job prospects etc.

I was turned down for a job I was really keen on because they wouldn't take on someone without permanent residency, so we thought we would get on to it asap.

I have the police certificates from UK. Got them done just before I left.

Any idea what it would cost to get a medical done by a GP if I was registered with them (rather than just going to these immigration medical people)? I just have no idea what these things cost!
Old May 22nd 2008, 12:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by hannahc
I have a working holiday visa until Sept 2009
Now I'm confused but it isn't hard to confuse me.

You stated you are here on a Working Holiday Visa but that you want to apply for residency.

What route were you thinking of using then?

Is your partner a Kiwi ?

Sorry. I can;t help you with current medical and xray costs in Auckland. You'll have to ring around . Perhaps someone who now lives in Auckland will be along to advise shortly.
Old May 22nd 2008, 12:26 am
Just Joined

Yes he is a Kiwi, so it would be residency under the partnership category. Sorry, my post was confusing when I read it back!

(I blame the lack of lunch. Must go make some now!)

THANKS