British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   whats the chances? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/whats-chances-714268/)

smvh Apr 22nd 2011 1:22 pm

whats the chances?

fully qualified bricklayer with 15yrs exp.AQF cert 111 in bricklaying completed for australia.no recent work exp for last 3 yrs due to construction collapse in this country.am i eligable for any visa for new zealand,i am really fed up trying to get into australia,have been applying for jobs all over with not much success,surely there must be loads of jobs after the recent earth quake,just want to work, anywhere will do at this stage!

BEVS Apr 22nd 2011 9:47 pm

Re: whats the chances?

Hi there and welcome to our cosy little NZ forum.

Can't be sure of your chances. Can't be sure of anyone's chances but we can certainly explore what avenues could be tried. NZ immy doesn't work the same as Oz Immy.

HHmmm. I've been reading back over your posts to try and ascertain if you are a time-served bricklayer or not. By that I mean the 4 year apprenticeship and a C&G advanced or part 2 cert / NVQ3 or similar please? Forget the Oz assessment thing.

Bricklayer is seen as a skilled occupation in New Zealand . One does need to have the required trade standard though. That relates back to your original trade training.

Bricklayer isn't an occupation currently in shortage in New Zealand. We have a lull here just like everywhere else. Husband is a plumber and work has been thin on the ground at times.

Yes in a way. The trade skill shortage list might be amended to take into consideration the needs of rebuilding Christchurch and surrounding areas. There are bi-annual reviews of the shortages lists . Next one due June.

This wouldn't stop you trying to gain a bricklaying job offer but any employer offering yo a job in this trade would have to prove that there is no current NZ resident or citizen that could do that work.

If you gained a job offer you could apply for a temporary work visa to get you here and started. Thing is that if you wanted to go onto apply to be an NZ Resident , that job would need to be full time and permanent. Not contract.

I don't know how old you are. If you had enough points under the skilled migrant policy anyway you could try a residency application and see if you are selected. If you were selected you might be offered a work to residency visa. This would give you the chance to enter NZ and find permanent work.

I gotta go out but please have a browse of the NZIS website.

There are jobs out there . Please see Trade Me . The trouble you will have is in getting a prospective employer to understand that they can offer you a job without a visa in place. It is job offer firest and then you apply for a visa . Not the other way around. Of course, the other hurdle is in the employer showing that no NZ resident or citizen can fill that vacancy. Having written that , it's not impossible They show proof of advertising. Training scheme etc.

Finally, please note that New Zealand residency doesn't give you any rights to Australia. NZ citizens can go work in Australia but have no automatic rights to Australian residency. To be an NZ citizen you \must be an NZ resident for 5 years.

Hopefully this should get you started and have something to mull over.