British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   what visa is available if in NZ ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/what-visa-available-if-nz-775658/)

ray1980 Oct 24th 2012 9:36 pm

what visa is available if in NZ ??

Hi Guys,
Im new to this forum. How are you all doing ?
Im looking to move to NZ early next year and am just looking for some help with some issues I have.
If I have job interviews lined up, then go over to NZ for them, I know I can stay in NZ for up to 6 months with no visa, but if I get a job offer, what visa would I apply for and how long would it take for me to actually start working ?
Sorry to be a pain but i'm really confused:unsure:

Any help, greatly appreciated
Cheers,
Ray

MrsFychan Oct 24th 2012 10:28 pm

Re: what visa is available if in NZ ??

hello and welcome

it all depends on if the company is an approved company, so can actually offer you a position, what that position is and if it is on the long term skilled shortage list.

If you can give us information on what field you would be looking to be employed, your age and experince on we may be able to help more.
or have a look on the Immigration website and see what they suggest
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/

ray1980 Oct 27th 2012 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10348387)
hello and welcome

it all depends on if the company is an approved company, so can actually offer you a position, what that position is and if it is on the long term skilled shortage list.

If you can give us information on what field you would be looking to be employed, your age and experince on we may be able to help more.
or have a look on the Immigration website and see what they suggest
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/

Hi
My work experience is 6 years as a supervisor/foreman on civil infrastructure jobs, 6 years previous to that on the tools. This role of a foreman is on the CSSL and this is what I will be applying for. I have lots of qualifications including supervisor, excavator operator, manual handling, risk assessment and many more. I will be completing my HNC in Construction Management in June next year. I am 32. If we can assume my potential employer is accredited...

I have had correspondance with HAYS who suggest I come over and they will set up interviews but I am worried about leaving my current job on the assumption of getting a job in NZ, let alone not knowing how long it takes to get a visa to physically start working after I get a job offer.

Any thoughts ???
Thanks

ray1980 Oct 28th 2012 10:54 am

is EOI necessary if in NZ and get a job offer ?

Hi
I want to move to NZ next year but am unsure if I can go with no visa, find a foreman job from an accredited employer then apply for work visa over there
Please help, Im very confused:confused:

thanks guys
Ray

MrsFychan Oct 28th 2012 7:01 pm

Re: is EOI necessary if in NZ and get a job offer ?

you can but don't let the border guards know that's your intention when you fly in. You would not be able to start work until you had a valid visa in your passport

BEVS Oct 28th 2012 10:23 pm

My strong suggestion is that you complete your HNC without a doubt. Christchurch will still be here waiting for several years & more after that.

As the occupation is on the CSSL it doesn't matter if your employer is accredited or not. An employer is able to offer you work. You would just need to have transparency as to whether or not the work would be temporary for a couple of years or so, or permanent.

In my opinion it is too soon for you to be looking for a job offer & HAYS shouldn't be suggesting it.

edit...
I've merged the 2 threads as I found myself answering the same thing twice. lol

BEVS Oct 28th 2012 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by ray1980 (Post 10353830)
Hi
I want to move to NZ next year but am unsure if I can go with no visa, find a foreman job from an accredited employer then apply for work visa over there
Please help, Im very confused:confused:

thanks guys
Ray

If you have a job offer whilst still in the UK , you apply for a temporary work visa.
If you come to NZ as a visitor and then find yourself offered a job, then you apply for a work permit whilst here.
Time taken to process a permit is case by case but can be quite quick if you have all the paperwork needed .
You shouldn't really enter NZ on a visitors visa with intent to look for work. If you have interviews lined up for Christchurch then you could inform NZIS of this intent to attend interviews.

If on the CSSL the employer doesn't have to be accredited.

....and it is OK to be confused. We all were and probably still are :-)

ray1980 Oct 29th 2012 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10354513)
If you have a job offer whilst still in the UK , you apply for a temporary work visa.
If you come to NZ as a visitor and then find yourself offered a job, then you apply for a work permit whilst here.
Time taken to process a permit is case by case but can be quite quick if you have all the paperwork needed .
You shouldn't really enter NZ on a visitors visa with intent to look for work. If you have interviews lined up for Christchurch then you could inform NZIS of this intent to attend interviews.

If on the CSSL the employer doesn't have to be accredited.

....and it is OK to be confused. We all were and probably still are :-)

Hi BEVS
Your input has been very very hepful in making some decisions!!
I will probably complete my HNC (june 2013) and apply for Residency in the meantime. If I gain a Residency visa, I guess finding a job would be easier from an employers point of view. Plus I can go to NZ then find a job with no pressure of getting temp visas or coming home after 6 months :thumbsup:
Cheers
Ray

BEVS Oct 29th 2012 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by ray1980 (Post 10356037)
If I gain a Residency visa, I guess finding a job would be easier from an employers point of view. Plus I can go to NZ then find a job with no pressure of getting temp visas or coming home after 6 months :thumbsup:
Cheers
Ray

Erm. Yes ! But if you choose to do it this way, then you need to weigh up if a residency application (EOI - expression of interest ) without a job offer will be pulled from the EOI pool. It may not if you don't have good enough points & you may then waste your money.

If your occupation is on the CSSL then an NZ employer can offer you the work. It;s no worries there & the employer will know the drill. ;)

ray1980 Oct 30th 2012 7:56 pm

Hi BEVS

Earlier you mentioned that ,in your opinion, I was looking for a job too early. I can't submit an EOI with no job offer (no point) so a job offer would progress things for me don't you think ?
Ray (still confused :unsure:)

MrsFychan Oct 30th 2012 8:57 pm

Ray you stated earlier in the thread that you wasn't going to come over to next year so looking for work now might be to early as employer would probably want you to start asap.

ray1980 Oct 30th 2012 9:17 pm

Ok I can see what you mean :-)
I'm hoping that a job offer is put on the table with a view to starting around march so I can submit strong EOI. I suppose I'm looking for everything to be in place as soon as possible;)

BEVS Oct 31st 2012 12:45 am

Originally Posted by ray1980 (Post 10358047)
Ok I can see what you mean :-)
I'm hoping that a job offer is put on the table with a view to starting around march so I can submit strong EOI. I suppose I'm looking for everything to be in place as soon as possible;)

Now I'm confused. :p You won't have your HNC under your belt until June 2013 so you couldn't start in March 2013.

ray1980 Oct 31st 2012 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10358273)
Now I'm confused. :p You won't have your HNC under your belt until June 2013 so you couldn't start in March 2013.

HAHA. I have everyone confused I think because I don't know what to do myself!!:cry_smile:
The only way I could come over in March is if I can fast track my HNC or complete in NZ. I want to come over in March but I think it would be best left until I complete my HNC first.:beer: