British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   What sort of visa should I apply for...??! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/what-sort-visa-should-i-apply-423448/)

curlygirl000 Feb 3rd 2007 9:21 am

What sort of visa should I apply for...??!

Hi everyone,

Just a bit of a question about visas tbh - I don't have a job app at the mo and am planning on submitting my EOI around November time, and plan to look for work and hopefully have a job offer prior to submitting it - my question is, if an employer is then waiting for me to start my job, will they wait the 2-3 months for the visa to be approved?? Or is it better to go over on a work sponsored visa and then submit my EOI once I am there??

I was just wondering how other people have handled it really...!

Thanks for the advice!!!

:unsure:

P2L Feb 3rd 2007 3:51 pm

Re: What sort of visa should I apply for...??!

Originally Posted by curlygirl000 (Post 4358179)
Hi everyone,

Just a bit of a question about visas tbh - I don't have a job app at the mo and am planning on submitting my EOI around November time, and plan to look for work and hopefully have a job offer prior to submitting it - my question is, if an employer is then waiting for me to start my job, will they wait the 2-3 months for the visa to be approved?? Or is it better to go over on a work sponsored visa and then submit my EOI once I am there??

I was just wondering how other people have handled it really...!

Thanks for the advice!!!

:unsure:

Welcome Curlygirl

You can go two routes really TBH
1. Work Visa, is a lot quicker but will only be valid for as long as your contract normally or

2. Permanent Residency, favoured by a lot of people (inc. us because you know you've got the stability esp. if you've got kids. The downside is the expense :frown: and the time it takes

Most employers appear to accept the situation that by choosing to recruit from overseas, they are at the mercy of NZIS.

Out of interest, how many points would you have if you submitted your EOI? What is your profession?

HTH
Sarah

Smelly Cat Feb 6th 2007 8:24 pm

Hi

We have the same question we were wondering if we can just go out on a holiday visa look for jobs then get a work permit and then apply for residency, has anyone ever done this is it possible?

Thanks

Fi & Rich

Beachcombers Feb 6th 2007 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Smelly Cat (Post 4371973)
Hi

We have the same question we were wondering if we can just go out on a holiday visa look for jobs then get a work permit and then apply for residency, has anyone ever done this is it possible?

Thanks

Fi & Rich

(Melissa and Stephen put their hands up) That's was us in a nutshell.

Smelly Cat Feb 6th 2007 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Beachcombers (Post 4371999)
(Melissa and Stephen put their hands up) That's was us in a nutshell.

I have just read your life story in another thread and it was so heart warming..... and promising knowing that we have a chance to make our dream come true......

we have just put our house on the market and after moving in with parents for a few months to save we are hoping to head out around xmas and are also hoping to see a bit of Asia on the way.

Do you know how long you can stay on a visitor visa?

Many thanks

Fi & Rich :D

Beachcombers Feb 6th 2007 8:57 pm

Thanks guys. Let us know if we can be of help.

You can stay six months on a visitors visa, then extend it for three months.

If you make it down to Marlborough, drop us a line. :beer:

Happy travels!:thumbsup:

Smelly Cat Feb 6th 2007 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Beachcombers (Post 4372102)
Thanks guys. Let us know if we can be of help.

You can stay six months on a visitors visa, then extend it for three months.

If you make it down to Marlborough, drop us a line. :beer:

Happy travels!:thumbsup:

May have to take you up on that one......:beer:

Thank you sooooooo much for your help.

mazi Feb 9th 2007 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Smelly Cat (Post 4371973)
Hi

Thanks

Fi & Rich

Done that - but didn't take up the offer of PR. if your employer likes you, NZIS start bombarding you with letters to stay.

pumpkin blossom Feb 15th 2007 6:07 pm

We have been looking at the work to residency visas. You get a work permit for 30 months, but after two years of working on this temp visa you can apply for PR. From the immigration site it looks like you would have to have murdered someone and caught HIV in your two years in NZ to not be accepted (ok, well they make it look pretty easy anyway).

curlygirl000 Jun 23rd 2007 8:41 am

Hi, sorry for the lack of reply!!

I am an IT Business analyst/Project manager, not sure how many points it will get me but i know most IT skills are in demand so hopefully it will be a high point score!
:rofl:

happynz Jun 23rd 2007 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by curlygirl000 (Post 4956221)
Hi, sorry for the lack of reply!!

I am an IT Business analyst/Project manager, not sure how many points it will get me but i know most IT skills are in demand so hopefully it will be a high point score!
:rofl:

Yes, IT should see you get some job offers. However, for PR purposes NZIS is persnickety about your IT experience being paired up with a computer sciences degree.

Good luck.

ginny5577 Jun 26th 2007 5:07 pm

Hi.
I and my partner are on the trail of immigration having made the decision over a year ago, we contacted 'The immigraion group' for advise and made an appointment to see 'andrew' down here on the south coast.
We were at the time not convinced that we would be able to go ahead with our plans, thinking that we had more chance of OZ (although we wanted NZ!)
However.... it was my trade that came up trumps ( now there's a first!) and having done an exhausting paper trail we are now about to embark on our EOI! (I am going on skilled migrant my partner on a working visa! long story.) I would recommend to any one who has an inclin' to go to the other side of the world that you go to EXPO's on every six months in the uk) we went to two!
Have to say that its not for the faint hearted (especially if you've got kids from a previous!!!!) but heres hoping that those that persevere and have got what it takes make it.... it would appear that its not just the medical profession that need apply!