British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   what are our chances for NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/what-our-chances-nz-473926/)

cherylstorm Aug 14th 2007 8:03 am

what are our chances for NZ?

after being advised by forum members on the US and CANADIAN sites that my husband, a lawyer stands no or little chance of getting in there, I wonder what the chances for AUS and NZ would be.

TeamEmbo Aug 14th 2007 8:29 am

Re: what are our chances for NZ?

Have you looked on the New Zealand Immigration website? They have a list on there of Absolute Skills Shortage and Immediate Skills Shortage, that might be a start. Wouldn't your OH have to learn about NZ laws, cases and precedents though to be able to practice here?

happynz Aug 14th 2007 8:33 am

Originally Posted by cherylstorm (Post 5186237)
after being advised by forum members on the US and CANADIAN sites that my husband, a lawyer stands no or little chance of getting in there, I wonder what the chances for AUS and NZ would be.

Howzit cherylstorm:

First go here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/smcpromo/ and go halfway down the page until you see the link for points indicator, click on that. It will give you an idea on how many points you may have. If you have 140 points you'd be sweet as. Between 100 and 135 you'd be eligible, but you may languish in the pool. A job offer would help speed things along. If you have less than 100, uh, sorry, back to the drawing board to figure out a way of bumping your point total up.

cherylstorm Aug 14th 2007 9:43 am

there are very good links some of the members have sent me. Although my husbad is not one for forums, I pass it all on to him. He is very interested in NZ or AUS, He would have to convert his degrees but I was hoping he could do it once we are there. He does not have to work as a lawyer to start off with. What I would like to know is if he has not yet converted when we apply, do his points drop?

happynz Aug 14th 2007 10:10 am

What do you mean by converting degrees?

For your qualifications you may need to have them assessed by New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). From there New Zealand Immigration Service (NZIS) will make a decision if the qualifications you claim are relevent to your application for residency.

I'm not sure if this helps your cause, but I'm still unclear on what you mean by conversion. It may be a South African thing of which I am unaware of.

cherylstorm Aug 14th 2007 10:28 am

Apologies! yes, what usually happens is the person would attend some hours at the law school university of the foreign country. After wich, the person would write the bar exams for that country and "convert" his degree.

happynz Aug 14th 2007 5:26 pm

^Ah, got it.;)

cherylstorm Aug 14th 2007 7:31 pm

We have just done the "self test"for NZ and Scott fails hopelessly because lawyers are not listed under "skill shortage". Now this means he stands no chance. It also seems he stands no chance do the US or CANADA. I have not investigated AUS yet but I gather it would be a waste of time. Anybody have other ideas?

happynz Aug 14th 2007 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by cherylstorm (Post 5188868)
We have just done the "self test"for NZ and Scott fails hopelessly because lawyers are not listed under "skill shortage". Now this means he stands no chance. It also seems he stands no chance do the US or CANADA. I have not investigated AUS yet but I gather it would be a waste of time. Anybody have other ideas?

That's a stumbling block, for sure. However, it's not the end of it. What is sometimes required is a leap of faith in one's skills and abilities to adapt to a situation.
There is always the path of coming on a visitor visa and securing work and then changing to a work permit and then applying for residency. I know it's an expensive punt 'cos nothing is guaranteed.

Beachcombers Aug 14th 2007 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by cherylstorm (Post 5188868)

Guys, you have to think "outside the box" a bit. Your husband has an excellent education. Surley a law degree, open doors to job roles, that do not require to be a practising lawyer............

As happynz says, many people come over here on visitors visas and apply for jobs, then go through the immigration process from within NZ (including ourselves).

BEVS Aug 15th 2007 1:45 am

Hi Cherylstorm.
Welcome to the NZ part of the BE forums. I can see that you are trying hard to find a new place to live.

I would have to agree with HappyNZ and Beachcombers that if you both feel that NZ could suit you both as a place to live and work, then it could well be a leap of faith. Many come over on visitors visas, secure work and then apply for a work permit. They then go onto apply for residency.

How many points can your husband accumulate. How far short of the 100 minimum is he? I take it , he picks up 50 for his law degree. what work do you do?
Bung over some more details and we'll all have a look for you.

cherylstorm Aug 15th 2007 4:35 am

Bev, everybody, Thankyou. I feel so much better. yes, we are trying hard, and it is difficult without much money. Are there other self tests? I think the one we did was for a two weekly draw.

happynz Aug 15th 2007 4:55 am

Originally Posted by cherylstorm (Post 5190737)
Bev, everybody, Thankyou. I feel so much better. yes, we are trying hard, and it is difficult without much money. Are there other self tests? I think the one we did was for a two weekly draw.

Yes, fortnightly draws are made from the pool of eligible applicants. The minimum number of points is 100 points. If you had 140 points you'd be automatically selected and sent an invitation to apply. If you are somewhere between the 100 and 135 NZIS will assess your skills against New Zealand's needs and if they match up you'll get an invitation to apply. If you have a skilled job offer your chances of a positive outcome are greatly enhanced. The job does not necessarily need to be on a shortage list (immediate or long-term). My job wasn't on any shortage list and I was granted residency. Of course, perhaps piddling around here for four-and-a-half years on temporary work permits and NZIS figured this knothead -- that would be me -- isn't going anywhere so let's give him residency.

cherylstorm Aug 15th 2007 7:15 am

if anybody can think of any other ideas.. please, please let me know. We have sent away to employment agents etc, but as yet, no response!

happynz Aug 15th 2007 7:53 am

Take a deep breath, cherylstorm. Lining up employment from overseas is not an easy task.

Look at www.seek.co.nz for a start on what possible jobs are out there.

A google brought up http://www.sinzasa.org.nz/ I haven't any knowledge of them, but perhaps as expatriate South Africans they could offer you some tips.

I have read you are a bit short of funds to play with and coming here for a job search would be an expensive, I know. However, boots on the ground are more likely to pay dividends where CVs from overseas often get placed in the too much trouble tray.