British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   what happens when no longer dependant (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/what-happens-when-no-longer-dependant-512716/)

deannos Feb 8th 2008 4:15 am

what happens when no longer dependant

Possibly/hoping to get a tempory work visa/permit for truck driving which i understand i will have to keep applying for every 3 to 4 years. But i have 4 children what will they have to do when they are no longer classed as dependants.Do they apply for there own visas etc,or have to leave NZ. There is probably a simple answer but this is worrying me abit.

Deanno

deannos Feb 13th 2008 1:47 pm

Re: what happens when no longer dependant

bump

happynz Feb 13th 2008 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by deannos (Post 5902825)
Possibly/hoping to get a temporary work visa/permit for truck driving which i understand i will have to keep applying for every 3 to 4 years. But i have 4 children what will they have to do when they are no longer classed as dependents.Do they apply for there own visas etc,or have to leave NZ. There is probably a simple answer but this is worrying me abit.

Deanno

They will have to apply for their own work permits. If they decide to go on to tertiary studies they will get a student permit, but they will be liable for full international student fees (freakin' expensive, that option). However, for primary and secondary school they will be classified as locals.

If neither work nor study is in the cards then I am afraid they will only be able to stay temporarily on a visitor's permit.

If you do come here as a trucker you may get lucky and the government may decide to reclassify truck driving allowing people to use it a way to secure permanent residency (it's a bit of a punt and a long shot at that, but with elections coming up, who knows? I wouldn't hold my breath.). You may also decide to re-train to qualify for one of the 'skilled' migrant categories and then apply for PR while here in New Zealand.

If you do eventually secure PR your partner and kids will get PR as well (assuming they are eligible etc. etc.)

Good luck.

deannos Feb 14th 2008 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5928059)
They will have to apply for their own work permits. If they decide to go on to tertiary studies they will get a student permit, but they will be liable for full international student fees (freakin' expensive, that option). However, for primary and secondary school they will be classified as locals.

If neither work nor study is in the cards then I am afraid they will only be able to stay temporarily on a visitor's permit.

If you do come here as a trucker you may get lucky and the government may decide to reclassify truck driving allowing people to use it a way to secure permanent residency (it's a bit of a punt and a long shot at that, but with elections coming up, who knows? I wouldn't hold my breath.). You may also decide to re-train to qualify for one of the 'skilled' migrant categories and then apply for PR while here in New Zealand.

If you do eventually secure PR your partner and kids will get PR as well (assuming they are eligible etc. etc.)

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.Thats what i thought would happen,it now makes my decision even harder.:(

Deanno