What to do?

Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

james2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb What to do?

I have been living in NZ for 10 Months now and love it here! stayed in every part some are more fantastic than others!

I am currently on a whv and it is due to expire in a couple of months i have been talking to a few people and they keep saying to me get residency while your here as your regret it when your older!

I have talked with a few local company's that say they can get you residency in 6 to 9 months if i work in ICT (what i did in UK) but my question is once i get it could i just leave? I really want to carry on with my travels to OZ as i am 28 now!

Or should i just try get residency in OZ? or is that harder?

Cheers
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:20 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do?

Hi James and welcome!

If it was me and I am only saying this because I love travelling. I would head to OZ for a year (or two). Just to have a look and see what happens. Maybe you will find other opportunities there, or you might want to come back to NZ.

If you do want to come back to NZ, you can apply for a Bunac IEP Work Exchange Visa, which operates just like a WHV and you can apply for one even if you had previously held a WHV (if that makes sense) up to the age of 35.

http://www.bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/...-zealand/visas

Of course you can apply for a work permit or if you have enough points now, residency.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:27 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi James,
I agree with Catchafire, if you want to continue travelling then do it now. You can always return to NZ.

I can't answer your questions on residency in Aus as I know nothing about that!

I won't go into a long explanation of the visa system but I'll try and answer and try to keep it as simple as possible...

If you apply for residency under the Skilled Migrant Category ( assuming you have enough points) and you are granted residency then you are issued a Resident visa with travel conditions for two years. The travel conditions are the part that allow you to leave NZ and re enter as a resident. They expire after two years and you then need to apply for a further visa. How much time you've spent in NZ in those two years determines which visa you can get. If you gain residency and leave immediately you run the risk of forfeiting your residency which means a new application if you want to return to NZ as a resident. You could return to NZ just before the two years is up but you may only be eligible for travel conditions of 14 days which severely limits your ability to travel anywhere other than NZ.

Also if your application contains a job offer then you need to work in this job for at least three months.

It also sounds like you've discussed visas with an agent/s. Most of us have done the visa applications ourselves. It is fairly simple and most people don't need to spend the astronomical amounts agents cost to get residency. Your application will not go through any quicker if you use one!

P

I did try to keep it as concise as possible

Last edited by Persephone; Aug 15th 2013 at 4:30 pm. Reason: Forgot a bit
Old Aug 15th 2013, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

james2k is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice guys!

I have enough points but need to get my ICT qualifications assessed witch is a pain.

So if I worked for 6 months under a smc visa would I not keep my residency? I did not know it expired after 2 years.

I only asked local companies as it was free advice so knew what I needed to do.

cheers
Old Aug 16th 2013, 3:42 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

This is where it starts to get complicated!

What happens after you're granted residency depends on how long you spend in NZ amongst other things.

A permanent resident in NZ has either a 'resident visa with travel conditions' (whether valid or expired) or a 'permanent resident visa' (PRV) in their passport.

The former has a time limit on the travel conditions and when they expire you need to apply for either of the above to allow you to leave and re enter as a resident. What you are granted depends on how long you have spent in NZ ( though there are other ways ). A PRV has permanent travel conditions ie you can leave for as long as you like and still return as a resident. As things stand you could leave dor 20 years and still return. Your residency does not expire. This is what you would be wanting but you have to spend >184 days in NZ in two subsequent years as a resident to get one.
Your residency can expire if you leave and have no valid travel conditions-again it depends on timing.

Incidentally if you never ever leave NZ and your travel conditions expire, your residency does not expire - this only expires if you leave without valid travel conditions...

I told you it got a bit complicated......

If you gain residency and work for 6m (184d) and then leave. It all depends in when you are planning on returning as to what will happen. depending on when you return you may be eligible for a PRV, a further resident visa with travel conditions, a second and subsequent resident visa or nothing and have to reapply.

If you are planning on returning to NZ at some point to live permanently it may be better to wait rather than spend $$$ on a residency application that may go to waste- but as I said that depends on YOUR plans and timescale....

I'm surprised that this was not mentioned as an issue if those you spoke to said to get residency since you're here and working, why fail to mention the fact that you'd have to remain to get a PRV: which gives you the option to leave indefinitely yet still retain your residency.... sorry that is a long sentence!

Some useful links which might explain it better than me, to see what happens if you do not have a PRV and leave indefinitely...

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nnz/residents/

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nts/nextsteps/

Have a look at what is necessary in order to gain a PRV as there are other criteria than just time spent in NZ but you may well not fulfill these conditions. Also follow the links to further travel conditions and second and subsequent RVs in the second Link above.

Happy reading!

Last edited by Persephone; Aug 16th 2013 at 4:40 pm. Reason: Attempted to clarify something