British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   what to do?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/what-do-645093/)

unit5 Dec 16th 2009 6:23 pm

what to do??

hi i have read countless times all the information but im still unsure what route we should be taking, ideally we want to get PR for NZ however im a hairdresser with many many years behind me and my partner is a trucke driver, so his job i believe is on the issl is it possible to apply for eoi? is it best to get a job offer 1st, i have applied for several jobs but i think unless you are there in person a trucking job is hard to obtain whilst living in a different country. i have a brother who has lived in nz and is now a PR for severel years which i know can help us, so do we go on a holiday visa try and get work and get a work visa then do the wtr? there is plenty of info but i think i have read sooo much my brain is fried!any help will be fab many thanks in advance andree :blink:

Persephone Dec 16th 2009 7:22 pm

Re: what to do??

Hi
The ISSL is not relevant when applying down the EOI route. You can only get a temporary work visa if your job is on the ISSL and that means getting a job offer first.
I think hairdressers count as skilled so you would have to be the principal candidate when applying for PR. Have you added up your points total yet? If you get over 100 points then you can submit an EOI. If less than that then you would have to look at getting a job offer first.
Hope this helps
Sue :D

BEVS Dec 16th 2009 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by unit5 (Post 8177842)
hi i have read countless times all the information but im still unsure what route we should be taking, ideally we want to get PR for NZ however im a hairdresser with many many years behind me and my partner is a trucke driver, so his job i believe is on the issl is it possible to apply for eoi? is it best to get a job offer 1st, i have applied for several jobs but i think unless you are there in person a trucking job is hard to obtain whilst living in a different country. i have a brother who has lived in nz and is now a PR for severel years which i know can help us, so do we go on a holiday visa try and get work and get a work visa then do the wtr? there is plenty of info but i think i have read sooo much my brain is fried!any help will be fab many thanks in advance andree :blink:

I know. Really it is quite straightforward but read too much and it all turns into a muddle. A bit like a ball of wool being unravelled by a kitten.

I'll give it a go to unravel what you have written , then you get back to us all here with your thoughts. As you know most of us have either gone through the process or are going through the process and we come from allsorts and everywhere. :p

I'm just going to set out what I think is right from stuff I have read on this board , on the NZIS website and what I know from doing it myself. Others may well come in with other thoughts and experiences.

1 - Truck driving is not seen as a skilled occupation by NZIS - New Zealand Immigration service - so you cannot apply for PR through the skilled migrant category. ( there is another policy/category - I will get to it later)

2 - Hairdressing is seen as a skilled occupation so you can apply under the skilled migrant category.

3 - The ISSL is about temporary work visas really. In simple terms for you anyway. There are occupations on this list which are skilled and unskilled.
If an occupation , like truck driving, is on this list then it means an NZ employer is free to offer your hubby a job without having to prove there is no NZ citizen or resident for that job.

4 - Hairdressing is not on either of the shortages lists. Not the immediate nor the long term. So. If you get a job offer , your NZ employer will need to prove to NZIS there is no NZ resident or citizen that could do that job. They just can't offer you a job.

5 - There is a Work To Residence category which we have read in the past that some Tanker drivers have applied under. I mention tanker drivers because they are paid more. These chaps gained a job offer from an accredited employer. The list of accredited employers can be found on the NZIS website. For this there is a minimum salary and hours worked for that salary to meet the requirement. A WTR is over a 2 year period

6 - If your husband gets a job offer as a truck driver then he can apply for a temporary work visa and you an open work visa . Those temp work visas are renewable.

7 - As you may know you need 100 points minimum to apply for PR under the skilled migrant category . As a hairdresser you could apply under this category but for any job offer you get tp 'up' the points , the NZ employer will need to prove that there is no-one else in Nz for that job.

Close family does help with the points. Could you have a holiday with him and get a feel for how things are here at the present time. sometimes these things are best viewed with boots on the ground.

garfield250 Dec 16th 2009 11:45 pm

Excellent post as always BEVS :thumbsup:

unit5 Dec 20th 2009 7:12 pm

many many thanks for the great advice i think the wtr sound very good, my brother and his partner have just holiday with us and so they offered us plenty of information, to apply for the wtr route you would have to have a job offer before going? or can you go on a holiday visa and change the visa to a wtr visa once you got a job? i know this is a risk just going but we are very gun ho and once we get a idea we just go for it as life is so short and it should be an adventure!any more comments gratefully recieved many thanks again andree

BEVS Dec 20th 2009 8:22 pm

If your OH happened to find a job as a trucker driver whilst you visited NZ, then he would apply for a temporary work permit.
If the job offer was with an acredited employer and if he earned enough (55K pa for around a 40 hours week) he could maybe apply for WTR.
Most truck driving jobs not pay this sort of money. The possible exception being tanker drivers.

Please read NZIS here

It also states the areas where truck drivers are in shortage and so an NZ employer is OK to offer employment

Auckland/Upper North Island, Waikato/Bay of Plenty, Central North Island, Wellington, Canterbury/Upper South Island, Otago/Southland

unit5 Dec 21st 2009 6:18 pm

thank you so much for your help and great advice, i have 1 more question if you coud be so kind i have been looking for jobs at the usual sites mentioned is it just a case of right place right time with getting a job offer, you know if the skills match etc?
kindest regards andree