British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   What a dilemma!!! Does somebody know the answer to this?? Please!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/what-dilemma-does-somebody-know-answer-please-543671/)

Water Lily Jun 18th 2008 11:18 am

What a dilemma!!! Does somebody know the answer to this?? Please!!

Hello all, apologies for the long post but couldn't make it any shorter! Hope you still read it! :unsure:

As some of you may remember, we went for our medicals last Monday, hoping to get the results soon so that we can submit our ITA before the end of the month. All being well, we expect to get PR, so let's say (for the sake of argument) that we do! :thumbup:

Now the other side of the coin....

Mark's best friend moved to Sydney last year and he's trying his hardest to convince him to come and work with him. We actually stopped in Sydney last year and Mark had an interview with his friend's boss but nothing came out of it. However they are now rebuilding the team, and seem a bit desperate to find the right people, so our friend's convinced his bosses to sponsor Mark! :blink: As they already met him last year, they are happy to do so, and would only want "an informal chat" over the phone.

So here's our dilemma!!!

If we go to Sydney, Mark would have to work for this company for 2 years before being able to apply for PR in Oz, at least that's what we think if we understood the rules right! If he hated it, and decided he can't stick it out for 2 years, we'd back to square one :ohmy::(

I guess what we really want to know is if there is a way we can try out Sydney without losing out on our NZ PR. I mean, what happens after you're granted PR? Is it just a question of entering the country, or are there any conditions attached to it? I mean, do they keep track of you, or leave you to it, or would they know if you leave the country and take away your right to PR, etc?

Basically we still think we'd rather go to NZ, but wouldn't mind living in Sydney for a bit, though as we really don't see ourselves staying there long term, that's why we are keen not to spoil our chances in NZ.

Hope all of this makes sense, we are very confused!!! :confused::confused::confused:

And hope someone can help us and will be kind enough to take the time to reply!! :) Pretty please? :)

Maria & Mark
x

Persephone Jun 18th 2008 4:40 pm

Re: What a dilemma!!! Does somebody know the answer to this?? Please!!

Hi Maria,
Wow that's a difficult one, having to start thinking about other options after you've gone so far down this route. I don't envy you that:eek:

I'll try and answer and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong:thumbup:
If you get PR then you would have 1 year to activate the visa and you would also get a 2 year returning resident visa at the same time [I don't know if the 2 years starts from when PR is granted or from when you arrive in NZ] I'm sure you can then leave but would have to be in NZ at the end of the 2 years or you would lose the RRV and PR. If you haven't lived and worked in NZ for this time then I think they give you another 2 year RRV. I think you have to have been in NZ for 184 days per year to qualify for an indefinite RRV.
So I suppose in theory you could go to NZ, activate it, leave and then return just in time to get another RRV.

Hoping BEVShere will be along to either say I'm right or tell you that I've just told you a whole pile of crap and give you the right advice. Hmmm it's not one I'd like to contact NZIS about to get the official version in case it jeopardises your application. They could give you a WTR visa instead which would mean working in NZ before you can get PR.

There was a similar question asked in the main forum recently "what happens if my visa runs out" posted by Gossage. Sorry still can't work out how to do links:curse: but it's on the first page at the moment.

Hope this helps! Just when life gets easier something always comes along and throws you off course:eek:
All the best
Sue :D

Water Lily Jun 19th 2008 10:09 pm

As usual here's Sue coming to the rescue!! :D Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it, particularly knowing how busy you must be right now preparing for your imminent trip! How's it going? :)

I have to say your reply was very interesting and gave us a lot to think about! Suddenly a whole new world of opportunities seemed to open up.... :lol:

However, it now looks like we'll be sticking to plan A after all. We had our friend on the phone this morning, apparently his boss is being a bit tight and not offering to pay for anything, so we would have to pay for the visa, new medicals, etc, all in all it would cost us more than £500 and we're not happy that he's not prepared to meet us half way. But he considers he's doing enough by offering Mark a job, even though nothing's been put on paper at all.... it just doesn't bode well, does it? :sneaky:

Our gut feeling tells us to stay away so we've pretty much decided we are going to ignore this option, unless the guy has a change of heart and makes us an offer we can't refuse! But somehow we don't think that'll happen :thumbdown:

It was just so nice to think we could be going with a guaranteed job, but I guess that could still happen if Mark manages to get an offer (he's promised to start looking after we submit the ITA).

Guess we've also felt a bit discouraged lately after reading a few negative posts about people taking ages to find jobs once in NZ, or having to take 3 steps back just to get your foot in the door.... we loved our time in NZ last year (and we spent 6 months there, so plenty of time to see the good and the not so good!), but I guess we didn't have to worry about earning money to pay the bills then.

Oh well, maybe it's just nerves. Perhaps I should simply stop reading negative comments! ;)

Hope all's going well for you, you must be well excited! :eek:

Persephone Jun 20th 2008 9:44 am

Hi Maria,

Well no one came along to correct me so I assume what I said was correct!
Think I would be a bit wary if nothing was in writing and I'd have to pay out for a whole new lot of immigration forms and the suchlike.
Your first desire was for NZ so if you go there, get PR then you could always go to Oz at some point later on if you wanted a change for a bit:p

Finally made it home yesterday after a very long day. Had to pack up the van myself [3 hours] as everyone was at work apart from 1 friend who has 2 young kids so she'd have spent more time looking after them than being of any help to me:eek:
Then into work for a final farewell,they all came out to wave me off/ make sure I left the premises:thumbsup: A 7 hour drive and then unpack the van, and up early this morning to return the van [here, not London!]
One more week to go!!!!!! yippeeeee

At the moment I feel excited but do have moments of wondering whether I'm doing the right thing, sometimes on here there are so many negative posts that you do start to doubt yourself. Oh well, if you don't take risks then you'd lead a very dull life:blink:

Hope it works out OK

BEVS Jun 20th 2008 10:46 am

Hey Sue and Maria:p

I've been doing some really cool NZ stuff today .

As usual here's Sue coming to the rescue
I agree :)

If you get PR then you would have 1 year to activate the visa and you would also get a 2 year returning resident visa at the same time
Seems fine to me.

you have to have been in NZ for 184 days per year to qualify for an indefinite RRV.
still looking good.

I guess what we really want to know is if there is a way we can try out Sydney without losing out on our NZ PR. I mean, what happens after you're granted PR? Is it just a question of entering the country, or are there any conditions attached to it? I mean, do they keep track of you, or leave you to it, or would they know if you leave the country and take away your right to PR, etc
Yes. They keep track.
You really need to be living and working in NZ for half of each of the first two years to qualify for IRRV.

If you gain PR then it is as Sue states. You have a certain amount of time to activate the visa. One year. Following that you really need to remain in NZ for at least half each of the next two years .

I don't know about Pr in Oz and any reciprocal agreement. JAJ is your person for that.

Hope that helps a little

BEVS Jun 20th 2008 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Sue R (Post 6485365)
Finally made it home yesterday after a very long day. Had to pack up the van myself [3 hours] as everyone was at work apart from 1 friend who has 2 young kids so she'd have spent more time looking after them than being of any help to me:eek:
Then into work for a final farewell,they all came out to wave me off/ make sure I left the premises:thumbsup: A 7 hour drive and then unpack the van, and up early this morning to return the van [here, not London!]
One more week to go!!!!!! yippeeeee

At the moment I feel excited but do have moments of wondering whether I'm doing the right thing

Sounds all good news to me SueR. You must feel tired and elated all at the same time.

Once you see 'him' :eek: 'it'll be right' as they say here in NZ. It's gonna be fine . Have some exciting times ahead karma.

Persephone Jun 21st 2008 11:16 am

Thanks Bevs,

I know it will all be fine when I get there and see him:thumbup:
I've just had an incredibly stressful and upsetting week so looking forward to a week up north with NOTHING to do!!!
I am now without internet so having to use the library but it's only a 10 minute walk so will be on it most days checking whether NZIS have been in touch:eek:
Thanks for the karma , I need it:ohmy:
Sue

Water Lily Jun 23rd 2008 3:46 pm

Thanks again girls, well we haven't heard anything new from Oz, so have now discarded that plan altogether and sent out our ITA this morning. Yipppeeeee!!! :eek:

Sue, I can imagine you're a nervous wreck right now, but that's entirely understandable and I'm sure your fears will disippate the moment you land and see Mr Sue again :)

It is only natural to feel apprehensive, it is after all a huge step to take. As someone who left family, country, friends and her entire life behind to be with someone she loved, I know exactly what you're going through!!! And you're absolutely right, if you don't take risks in life then you haven't lived. In my case things went wrong after a few years but I still never regretted my decision, even when things looked very glum! I still wouldn't have changed the experience for anything, it helped me grow and shaped me into the person I am today.

So you go girl, and just in case you need a little more encouragement, I leave you with 2 of my favourite quotes:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain

“Do not lose hold of your dreams or aspirations. For if you do, you may still exist but you have ceased to live.” Henry David Thoreau

All the best and don't forget about us when you're enjoying your new life! :):thumbsup:

Persephone Jun 24th 2008 12:40 pm

Thanks Maria and CONGRATULATIONS on sending in the ITA:thumbsup:
It seems like such along time since you received it.

I suppose you could always do a detour over to Oz once you've got your residency and IRRV and then nip back across to NZ whenever you want to. The world's your oyster as they say!

Here's to a speedy response to the ITA
Tried to send you some karma but it won't let me sorry!
Sue:D

Water Lily Jun 24th 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks Sue, congratulations to you too on getting PR, gosh you must be so relieved!!! And I can imagine the grin on your face!! :lol:

Yes, we'd like to give Oz a go at some point, just to have another adventure, but we did like NZ a lot better so we're in no rush! Happy to wait until we get IRRV as you say, or even citizenship, then life will be so much easier!

Have a fantastic holiday, keep us posted! :)