Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

What are the chances of visa for Excavator Operator?

What are the chances of visa for Excavator Operator?

Old May 9th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice
Default What are the chances of visa for Excavator Operator?

Hi,

After a failed attempt of obtaining a visa for Australia, we've thought of trying New Zealand after a friend suggested it was easier to gain entry than Australia. Either would be great as we seek an outdoor lifestyle and hopefully a better future for our kids.

However after looking at the NZ govt website, I find it so much more confusing than the Australian one! (it doesn't take a lot to confuse me )
My husband has only ever worked for one employer which he has done for the last 23 years. He's an excavator operator on 20T machines but has also been site foreman on various sites. I did find foreman on the short term list but foremen for roading and infrastructure whereas hubby's experience is on construction sites.

Could anyway advise me please if there is a way in for us?
Old May 10th 2008, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the chances of visa for Excavator Operator?

Originally Posted by Dawn-D
Hi,

After a failed attempt of obtaining a visa for Australia, we've thought of trying New Zealand after a friend suggested it was easier to gain entry than Australia. Either would be great as we seek an outdoor lifestyle and hopefully a better future for our kids.

However after looking at the NZ govt website, I find it so much more confusing than the Australian one! (it doesn't take a lot to confuse me )
My husband has only ever worked for one employer which he has done for the last 23 years. He's an excavator operator on 20T machines but has also been site foreman on various sites. I did find foreman on the short term list but foremen for roading and infrastructure whereas hubby's experience is on construction sites.

Could anyway advise me please if there is a way in for us?

Why don't you come for a holiday and have a look around and then get hubby to apply for a job while he is here. So long as it is above $40,000 (correct me if I am wrong anyone!) and he has a permanent contract and not a short term contract you can get a work permit and apply for residency that way. My hubby works in construction and he too used to mainly do site work on residential and has had to get to grips with commercial work which he is doing at the moment. Just asked my OH and he said look for Earthworks on the job site as thats what is is here. Lots of things are termed differently here. Leading Hand for instance is a foreman and Hammer Hands would be semi qualified carpenters. Ahh so much to learn about the NZ way!!! There are a lot of companies that advertise for digger drivers and if you can find one that has had no luck getting anyone in NZ, write to them and if you can secure a job offer it may be one way of getting in. Check www.trademe.co.nz for jobs. Look up this number on Trademe - Trade Me classified number: 150540446 this is for a digger driver - Look down the various lists, I am sure you will find something. Good luck.

Last edited by shirl; May 10th 2008 at 2:33 am. Reason: Adding info
Old May 10th 2008, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice
Default Re: What are the chances of visa for Excavator Operator?

Originally Posted by shirl
Why don't you come for a holiday and have a look around and then get hubby to apply for a job while he is here. So long as it is above $40,000 (correct me if I am wrong anyone!) and he has a permanent contract and not a short term contract you can get a work permit and apply for residency that way. My hubby works in construction and he too used to mainly do site work on residential and has had to get to grips with commercial work which he is doing at the moment. Just asked my OH and he said look for Earthworks on the job site as thats what is is here. Lots of things are termed differently here. Leading Hand for instance is a foreman and Hammer Hands would be semi qualified carpenters. Ahh so much to learn about the NZ way!!! There are a lot of companies that advertise for digger drivers and if you can find one that has had no luck getting anyone in NZ, write to them and if you can secure a job offer it may be one way of getting in. Check www.trademe.co.nz for jobs. Look up this number on Trademe - Trade Me classified number: 150540446 this is for a digger driver - Look down the various lists, I am sure you will find something. Good luck.
Hi Shirley,

Thanks for getting back to me and for all the advice, I'll be following up the website.

Unfortunately at the moment a trip for hubby to NZ wouldn't be on the cards as we spent out on our family of 5 going to Australia for a month in early December. That trip concluded in us having a sponsor who has not been in touch since January after promising to contact us after two weeks, so we are a bit dubious about doing the same again. 200+ cv's later we thought we would start to look at New Zealand. Our eldest child is 14 so for educational reasons, we don't want to leave it too late!

Thanks again for your help.

Best Wishes