Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to go for Skilled Migration

What is the best way to go for Skilled Migration

Old May 13th 2010, 8:03 am
Just Joined

timbuktu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the best way to go for Skilled Migration

Hi there

We have been looking into the possibility of moving to NZ and have contacted a few agents in relation to advice. Some say it will be pretty difficult and some say it is a possibility but the fees are kind of high to say the least. We have been told we would need a job offer and the best thing to do would be to visit NZ. It is kind of expensive to do that and we arent exactly millionaires either

Im not sure if I would class our case as straight forward so maybe giving you a little details could help you answer the questions:

Me and my OH (33yr & 34yrs) plus my daughter from previous relationship but I have sole custody.

OH works in IT and has done for 10 yrs - currently a Data Centre Manager. He has had no "official" qualifications or degree but has a vast amount of experience. Is there anyway that you can get IT experience qualified for NZ to increase our points? My OH used to live in Australia (but he is back 5 yrs). He also has current assessment with the ACS in Australia that shows he has a certain amount of exp that would relate to a formal qualification. I dont know if this would make a difference.

I have experience in Office Management for 6 years and HR from years before. My qualifications (4 diplomas) do not relate to my experience whatsoever. When you are calculating points can you use work exp and quals that are not related?

Im just trying to get a grip with the immigration process and Im not quite sure where to start and I would prefer to do it myself but not mess up if you get me

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Su
Old May 15th 2010, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

The_Foulgers will become famous soon enoughThe_Foulgers will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What is the best way to go for Skilled Migration

Originally Posted by timbuktu View Post
Hi there

We have been looking into the possibility of moving to NZ and have contacted a few agents in relation to advice. Some say it will be pretty difficult and some say it is a possibility but the fees are kind of high to say the least. We have been told we would need a job offer and the best thing to do would be to visit NZ. It is kind of expensive to do that and we arent exactly millionaires either

Im not sure if I would class our case as straight forward so maybe giving you a little details could help you answer the questions:

Me and my OH (33yr & 34yrs) plus my daughter from previous relationship but I have sole custody.

OH works in IT and has done for 10 yrs - currently a Data Centre Manager. He has had no "official" qualifications or degree but has a vast amount of experience. Is there anyway that you can get IT experience qualified for NZ to increase our points? My OH used to live in Australia (but he is back 5 yrs). He also has current assessment with the ACS in Australia that shows he has a certain amount of exp that would relate to a formal qualification. I dont know if this would make a difference.

I have experience in Office Management for 6 years and HR from years before. My qualifications (4 diplomas) do not relate to my experience whatsoever. When you are calculating points can you use work exp and quals that are not related?

Im just trying to get a grip with the immigration process and Im not quite sure where to start and I would prefer to do it myself but not mess up if you get me

Cheers

Su
Not sure how much help this will be but we have a really good migration agent, they're really helpful, they'd certainly be able to advise you. You need to speak with Veronika as she looks after the NZ side of things and the company is Sortoutmyvisa (www.sortoutmyvisa.com)
Good Luck
Old May 16th 2010, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is the best way to go for Skilled Migration

Originally Posted by timbuktu View Post
Hi there

Cheers

Su
Have you filled out the points calculator on the NZIA website yet?
That may give you an idea where you are at..