We've got it!!!! Christchurch bound

Old Jun 27th 2009, 8:36 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 89
Denise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really nice
Thumbs up We've got it!!!! Christchurch bound

Found out yesterday that we've been aprroved. Can't quite believe it. A month ago we were under the impression that it could take us around 7 months, but here we are celebrating.

Thanks to everyone who has passed on advice.... Now to sell the house, organise shipping....... Yipeeeee
Denise01292 is offline  
Old Jun 27th 2009, 8:45 am
  #2  
loui5a
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: N. Ireland
Posts: 51
loui5a will become famous soon enough
Default Re: We've got it!!!! Christchurch bound

Messaged you on the other thread re house selling / renting.

We are hoping to live in Christchurch too. Need to find jobs though.

When you planning on moving and what do you do, any kids?

Sorry for all the questions

Louisa
loui5a is offline  
Old Jun 27th 2009, 2:53 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
RobDon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Rotorua
Posts: 1,625
RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We've got it!!!! Christchurch bound

Originally Posted by Denise01292 View Post
Found out yesterday that we've been aprroved. Can't quite believe it. A month ago we were under the impression that it could take us around 7 months, but here we are celebrating.

Thanks to everyone who has passed on advice.... Now to sell the house, organise shipping....... Yipeeeee
Congratulations
RobDon is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:01 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 89
Denise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really nice
Default Re: We've got it!!!! Christchurch bound

Thanks RobDon.

Hi Louisa. We need to sell to get some cash!! My hubby is a joiner and I am a primary teacher. We have a 1 year old son. WE hope to move fairly soon but all will depend on selling the house. U??
Denise01292 is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:10 pm
  #5  
DGH
Danni
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 85
DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice
Default Re: We've got it!!!! Christchurch bound

Originally Posted by Denise01292 View Post
Thanks RobDon.

Hi Louisa. We need to sell to get some cash!! My hubby is a joiner and I am a primary teacher. We have a 1 year old son. WE hope to move fairly soon but all will depend on selling the house. U??
Hey congratulations!
DGH is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:20 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Norwich, Uk (sigh)
Posts: 396
bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We've got it!!!! Christchurch bound

CONGRATULATIONS Denise, hope you get the house sold and get on your way soon. Bevissa
bevissa65 is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:58 pm
  #7  
loui5a
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: N. Ireland
Posts: 51
loui5a will become famous soon enough
Default Re: We've got it!!!! Christchurch bound

Originally Posted by Denise01292 View Post
Thanks RobDon.

Hi Louisa. We need to sell to get some cash!! My hubby is a joiner and I am a primary teacher. We have a 1 year old son. WE hope to move fairly soon but all will depend on selling the house. U??
We have a 10yr old daughter and we are both civil engineers. Been saving like mad and living on beans for ages now so we plan to rent out our house here and rent there until we are settled into an area and also til the house prices go up a bit. House across the road sold for 225 a while back and the one two doors down is on for 160 and not selling so we hope to hang tight for a bit and see if it improves. In an ideal world it would be easier to sell but it is also a good back up plan should it all go pear shaped!

No news on our decision yet - can't stop thinking about it!
loui5a is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:52 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
strawbie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: west yorkshire
Posts: 222
strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: We've got it!!!! Christchurch bound

Hi, we are also heading for Christchurch eventually....... have to sell house first like you!! have 3 children, aged 9yr, 5yr and 21 month! x
strawbie is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2009, 1:00 am
  #9  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 24
chrisinus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We've got it!!!! Christchurch bound

We arrived in Christchurch last week and don't know anyone. If any of you come here, or are already here, I would love to hear from you as I haven't met anyone yet. It's very different here and not at all what I expected.
chrisinus is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:28 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
strawbie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: west yorkshire
Posts: 222
strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: We've got it!!!! Christchurch bound

Originally Posted by chrisinus View Post
We arrived in Christchurch last week and don't know anyone. If any of you come here, or are already here, I would love to hear from you as I haven't met anyone yet. It's very different here and not at all what I expected.
Is it better or worse than you expected, or just 'different'???
strawbie is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:41 am
  #11  
loui5a
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: N. Ireland
Posts: 51
loui5a will become famous soon enough
Default Re: We've got it!!!! Christchurch bound

Originally Posted by strawbie View Post
Is it better or worse than you expected, or just 'different'???
Not sure when we will be in Christchurch - hoping Nov, and not sure if that plan will work. Hoping to find out today if we got PR or WTR and then the job hunting steps up a gear. I would like to hear more and would be happy to keep in touch.

L
loui5a is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:45 am
  #12  
loui5a
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: N. Ireland
Posts: 51
loui5a will become famous soon enough
Default Re: We've got it!!!! Christchurch bound

Originally Posted by strawbie View Post
Hi, we are also heading for Christchurch eventually....... have to sell house first like you!! have 3 children, aged 9yr, 5yr and 21 month! x
What is your time scale like? OH had interview on Friday and we were told we would get it just depends what visa so checking email every 5 seconds! CO said she would email Mon / Tue so I am slightly worried but more nervous / excited too. Off work today so need to keep busy or I will just watch the email all day! If we get WTR we have to move in 3 months if we get PR we plan for Nov time.

I would be interested in keeping in touch and making some contacts hopefully to keep for long term

Louisa
loui5a is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 4:32 am
  #13  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 24
chrisinus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We've got it!!!! Christchurch bound

Originally Posted by strawbie View Post
Is it better or worse than you expected, or just 'different'???
Christchurch is definitely in the 'different' category. We've lived in many countries (originally UK then France, to Australia, Canada and USA). I did masses of research before arriving here but none of it really helped when I got here. The first country that has happened. It has all been a bit of a shock.

The people are really friendly and helpful in the shops, etc, but it's difficult to find anything, mainly because it doesn't exist. They don't really have family restaurants, such as sit-in Pizza Hut, Beefeater, etc and the only places are Asian and fish and chip take-aways, small eateries at some shopping centres and taverns. The shops are spread out all over the place so you have to know where to go beforehand, you can't just pop into a shop or shopping centre and necessarily find what you're looking for, however basic.

As it was explained to me by another expat I met this week, if you've been into downtown Christchurch, don't blink or you'll miss it. It's tiny but quite cute. The upshot of that is that it's not at all busy and they consider it traffic congestion at peak time if you wait 30 seconds at the traffic lights!

As to housing, you need to read other things on this forum about it. Very basically, make sure you rent/buy an almost new house. The housing stock is basically like largish British bungalows (everything's one storey). They have only just heard of insulation and double glazing, etc, and in our place (which is 2 years old) the double glazing leaks like a sieve. Also, they are still inventing heating here. Most people rely on a log or pellet fire in the lounge to heat the entire house. They have just discovered the luxury of 'heat pumps' which are wall mounted heat/air conditioning units that are designed to heat one room but are used here for the whole house. They are like extra large fan heaters, but a lot cheaper to run. Obviously, they don't heat the entire house but take the chill off the bedrooms, unless you're extremely fortunate to get 2 heat pumps in the house which is rare. You also can't close any of the internal doors, even at night, if you want to keep 'warm'. I've been told many Kiwis go to bed in their beanies (wool hats) to help keep warm. If you see electric blankets before you leave, especially ones with a fleecy top, buy them as they're really expensive here but virtually a necessity. I'm getting one this weekend as I'm fed up of freezing at night.

As to whether I like it, well I'm not sure at this stage but it's very early days. The tax system is extremely strange but the medical system seems pretty good from everything I've heard. The kids seem to like their schools and the other children.

I'll stop or I'll fill up the entire forum. Good luck everyone with your move and let me know when/if you arrive.

Chris
chrisinus is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:01 am
  #14  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 336
harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We've got it!!!! Christchurch bound

Originally Posted by chrisinus View Post
Christchurch is definitely in the 'different' category. We've lived in many countries (originally UK then France, to Australia, Canada and USA). I did masses of research before arriving here but none of it really helped when I got here. The first country that has happened. It has all been a bit of a shock.

The people are really friendly and helpful in the shops, etc, but it's difficult to find anything, mainly because it doesn't exist. They don't really have family restaurants, such as sit-in Pizza Hut, Beefeater, etc and the only places are Asian and fish and chip take-aways, small eateries at some shopping centres and taverns. The shops are spread out all over the place so you have to know where to go beforehand, you can't just pop into a shop or shopping centre and necessarily find what you're looking for, however basic.

As it was explained to me by another expat I met this week, if you've been into downtown Christchurch, don't blink or you'll miss it. It's tiny but quite cute. The upshot of that is that it's not at all busy and they consider it traffic congestion at peak time if you wait 30 seconds at the traffic lights!

As to housing, you need to read other things on this forum about it. Very basically, make sure you rent/buy an almost new house. The housing stock is basically like largish British bungalows (everything's one storey). They have only just heard of insulation and double glazing, etc, and in our place (which is 2 years old) the double glazing leaks like a sieve. Also, they are still inventing heating here. Most people rely on a log or pellet fire in the lounge to heat the entire house. They have just discovered the luxury of 'heat pumps' which are wall mounted heat/air conditioning units that are designed to heat one room but are used here for the whole house. They are like extra large fan heaters, but a lot cheaper to run. Obviously, they don't heat the entire house but take the chill off the bedrooms, unless you're extremely fortunate to get 2 heat pumps in the house which is rare. You also can't close any of the internal doors, even at night, if you want to keep 'warm'. I've been told many Kiwis go to bed in their beanies (wool hats) to help keep warm. If you see electric blankets before you leave, especially ones with a fleecy top, buy them as they're really expensive here but virtually a necessity. I'm getting one this weekend as I'm fed up of freezing at night.

As to whether I like it, well I'm not sure at this stage but it's very early days. The tax system is extremely strange but the medical system seems pretty good from everything I've heard. The kids seem to like their schools and the other children.

I'll stop or I'll fill up the entire forum. Good luck everyone with your move and let me know when/if you arrive.

Chris
Have to say this is a good post regarding Electric Blankets wish I had not left mine back in the uk. WE have a new house with under floor heating, one heat pump, gas fire lpg, heat transfer plus a large inventor heat pump down the hall way, so nice and warm DOWN SIDE THE DAM COST Good luck that you have sold hope you all get sold at some point.
harrogate girl is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.