Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Wellington - Can anyone suggest good areas to live?

Wellington - Can anyone suggest good areas to live?

Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

chrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to all
Default Wellington - Can anyone suggest good areas to live?

Just over a year ago we completed the EOI, now after getting Skilled Migrant visas we are booked to fly out in Sep
Thanks to everyone on this site, for lots of tips and encouragement along the way!

We now have lots to sort out, renting house, packing, not to mention all the stuff in NZ..
All abit scary, and even though we want to go it will be difficult leaving family and friends..

I have a job offer in Wellington, so I am just after some recommendartions of good areas to live.
There is just the 2 of us, we would like somewhere fairly central but not right in the centre.
Some local shops, bars cafes would be great..

Any ideas would be welcomed!..
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all
Default Re: Wellington - Can anyone suggest good areas to live?

In all honesty I would get over here and rent for a while until you find what you are looking for.
Every area has pro's and con's and what 1 person likes, another will dislike.

That said, I would be tempted to start looking in Island Bay and Berhampore as these areas are close to the centre, have good public transport links, and a good selection of cafes.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:47 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington - Can anyone suggest good areas to live?

if you want good transport then, as cc said, Island Bay has brilliant bus service and a few shops and a couple of bars. A nice safe feel to it, but it is quite built up in terms of housing (relatively speaking)

Kilbirnie also has amazing transport and a few bars - however, it's a bit of a rougher area and the bars might not be what you're after.

Newtown has brilliant buses to town - takes about 10mins, if that, and has a few bars (one of the excellent) a few curry houses (one of them excellent), other take aways, a supermarket. I really like newtown, but there are some rougher streets there too (and some lovely parts)

I live in Melrose and I love love love it. There are no shops, bars anything though. I thought we'd need them on our doorstep before I came here (I lived in London for the previous 6 years), but TBH I have got used to it, and would love to stay here long term (currently renting). We have gotten used to getting a bus to the pub and shops (and it is only 10mins), so don't limit yourselves to areas with all that stuff if you find a decent property.

I really don't know any other areas too well as haven't been here overly long. Maybe someone else will come along and give you info on the other areas.

Or if there's anywhere specific you want info on, try a thread on the main page.

Last edited by shelloid; Aug 8th 2010 at 2:48 am. Reason: to clarify something.