British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Well, I just didn't think this through .... UK Passport Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/well-i-just-didnt-think-through-uk-passport-question-820465/)

smileypigface Jan 5th 2014 8:38 pm

Well, I just didn't think this through .... UK Passport Question

Yet again I seem to have played a blinder and discovered that my 'bull at a gate' approach to life is definitely my downfall.

Any words of wisdom to offer please?

We now have our Visas - hubby has a 5 year Work Visa to do the specific role he has accepted with a NZ firm. I have a 5 year Work Visa which allows me to work anywhere (that will have me!!!). And our 3 year old has a 2 year visitor visa.

My questions are concerning the 3 year old.

His passport expires 17 May 16 - so his visa is only for 24 months (expires Feb 16) because (as the accompanying letter explains) - the length of the Visa cannot be longer than the life of the passport - understandably.

He would need a new visa before May 15 anyway - because he has a visitor visa and it will need to be changed to a student visa to enable him to start school when his is 5 (on 27 May 15).

So, it seems straightforward enough to not loose sleep over his Visa at the moment as both his visitor visa and his passport are in date.

But when should I start worrying about it? I assume we would need to renew his passport prior to putting in the application for a student visa - how far in advance of his 5th birthday can we apply for a student visa?

The cost of renewing his UK passport while resident in NZ is astronomical - if we happened to be coming to UK for an extended holiday in late 2014, for example, could we renew his UK passport while in UK - but then his new passport wouldn't have his visa sticker in it - is it a simple case of making sure we keep his old and new passports together to prove he has a visa and then his student visa would go into his new UK passport?

I'm not sure how far in advance of expiry it is possible to renew a UK child's passport.

Wading my way through information on the internet to try and answer these questions myself .. but thought it might be worth asking here in case anyone has been in similar circumstances.

:D

MrsFychan Jan 5th 2014 8:49 pm

Re: Well, I just didn't think this through .... UK Passport Question

I think they can do it with 9mths left on the passport, or they just carry over 9mths so if you do it before the 9mths you just loose the extra months.

kiwi wanna be Jan 5th 2014 9:31 pm

My OHs passport was due to expire in December 2014, he has had his replaced 12 months early but has only been given an extra 9 months as Mrs F said!

Not sure about the the visa stuff, OH changed his in prep for getting the initial visa - sure someone who knows wht they are talking about will be along shortly :)

smileypigface Jan 5th 2014 9:47 pm

OK - so I think I've answered some of the questions via internet search ... which simplifies my questions somewhat!! :D

As Mrs Fychan says (thank you Mrs F) - I can renew his passport at any time but will only get a maximum of 9 unexpired months added on to his new one.

An internet search tells me that you have to be resident in the UK in order to renew a UK passport within the UK - so it would be stretching the truth to try and do it while back in UK on holiday.

So .. in conclusion - it appears that we should renew his passport in NZ and just dry our eyes and suck up the higher cost - and then immediately we receive his new passport we shouldn't worry about transferring his visitor visa into it - but just put in his application for a student visa.

Ta Dahh :D

So, my question now is how far in advance of his 5th birthday can we apply for his student visa to make sure that he starts school at the right time?

Once we can work out that timescale then it will dictate when we put his passport renewal in.

MrsFychan Jan 5th 2014 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by smileypigface (Post 11064611)
So, my question now is how far in advance of his 5th birthday can we apply for his student visa to make sure that he starts school at the right time?

Once we can work out that timescale then it will dictate when we put his passport renewal in.

the school can give you 2 weeks provision of having the stamps in the passport, just go in and speak to the Principal and discuss with them as I think they have to inform the Ministry, so I personally would look at processing times at the Immigration office you will be getting the visa from.