British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   We really like it here and want to stay, what are our options???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/we-really-like-here-want-stay-what-our-options-731630/)

madao Sep 8th 2011 8:22 pm

We really like it here and want to stay, what are our options????

Hi All

My partner and I, both from the UK, arrived in New Zealand on working holiday visa's at the start of April. We have travelled around a bit and are currently working a ski season in the North Island. We really like the country though and would like to find out our options for staying permanantly.

My partner is a secondary school history teacher with 4 years teaching experience in the UK before we left. Having a look at the points calculator we think the EOI application would come to 125 points.

A few questions for you if you can help though...

With 125 points and no job offer how does that stand with regards to other peoples recent experience of the EOI system. Do we stand a good chance or is it a no hope as we have less than 140 points?

Our current WHV expires in March 2012. I am too old now to aply for the extention for the second year. If we submit a EOI is there a bridging visa or something similar we could go on to to enable us to stay whilst we are being considered for permanant work?

Are there any migration agents that come highly recommended that it would be worth us speaking to?

Whats a ballpark timeframe for applications to be processed once a EOI has been accepted?

Finally, any other information that you feel we may need to know or consider?

Many thanks for your help!!!!

Adam

robbyarg Sep 15th 2011 7:50 am

Re: We really like it here and want to stay, what are our options????

125 points with no job offer is reasonably good, particularly since you are from the UK. I would suggest that you lodge an EOI after having confirmed your work experiences as required and relevant along with your qualification. This is best confirmed by an agent as there are some technicalities.

With 125, the chances of selection are good at some points. It may take a couple of months or a few weeks, but it's good. I've know many who have migrated for FAR LESS points recently at 115 or 110.

You probably won't be able to get some bridging visa just like that but since you had a WHV, there may be some grounds to request that. The immigration can best confirm so either post a question on the site or call them. They will be able to advise.

Originally Posted by madao (Post 9608605)
Hi All

My partner and I, both from the UK, arrived in New Zealand on working holiday visa's at the start of April. We have travelled around a bit and are currently working a ski season in the North Island. We really like the country though and would like to find out our options for staying permanantly.

My partner is a secondary school history teacher with 4 years teaching experience in the UK before we left. Having a look at the points calculator we think the EOI application would come to 125 points.

A few questions for you if you can help though...

With 125 points and no job offer how does that stand with regards to other peoples recent experience of the EOI system. Do we stand a good chance or is it a no hope as we have less than 140 points?

Our current WHV expires in March 2012. I am too old now to aply for the extention for the second year. If we submit a EOI is there a bridging visa or something similar we could go on to to enable us to stay whilst we are being considered for permanant work?

Are there any migration agents that come highly recommended that it would be worth us speaking to?

Whats a ballpark timeframe for applications to be processed once a EOI has been accepted?

Finally, any other information that you feel we may need to know or consider?

Many thanks for your help!!!!

Adam

Persephone Sep 15th 2011 9:52 am

Re: We really like it here and want to stay, what are our options????

Robbyarg is only slightly right. Your chances of selection do not solely go on the total number of points but also on whether you have a job offer or bonus points for work experience on the longterm skills shortage list.

Now, a quick look through the history of selection points on the NZIS website shows that there have been no selections for those with 125 points and no job offer at all this year UNLESS you have points for work experience in an area of skills shortage. The post above is misleading in saying that 125 points have a good chance of selection, it's only good if you have those bonus points.History of selection points
It looks like secondary school teachers are on the long term skills shortage list which may give you the bonus points which increase your chances of selection Essential skills in demand lists

Can't answer your questions on migration agents, sorry. Most of us on here have gone it alone and if your application is simple then it's much cheaper to do it yourself and isn't that difficult. Everything is on the NZIS website, main thing is to make sure you know how the process works [this applies to those using an agent as well!]

There are also approximate timings on the website which vary depending on the office you're applying through.

Hope this helps, just keep asking questions:D