British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Ways to emigrate... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/ways-emigrate-602833/)

kazmac72 Apr 10th 2009 9:14 am

Ways to emigrate...

Hi again,

Trying to find the best possible way to emigrate to NZ. Ideally it would be as a PR through SMC, but unfortunately hubby is a HGV driver and as yet it is not included on the LTSSL, just the ISSL. So it sort of put our plans on the back boiler... then, after having had another good look at what amounts to an offer of skilled employment on NZIS website, I realised that my line of work is actually classed as skilled employment, but the hubby's regretfully is not.

So... if I were able to gain an offer of employment in my line of work, it should still be possible to emigrate under SMC, as for some strange reason, despite his line of work being on ISSL and mine being on neither list, mine is classed as skilled employment and his is not:confused: Do they do this deliberately to confuse us?? Also, I realised that if my employment happens to be in one of the sectors of future growth, despite the fact that my line of work has really no connection, I would gain further points!!

So worked out on his skills, being on the ISSL, we get a measly 55 points!! But worked out on mine, on neither list, we get 135, or 155 if he gets an offer of employment too... :thumbsup:

Can someone confirm that I am correct in my understanding of this, cos I do get a bit girly and blonde sometimes and manage to confuse myself really easily :blink:

Karen xx

angpaul Apr 11th 2009 6:49 pm

Re: Ways to emigrate...

Originally Posted by kazmac72 (Post 7468756)
Hi again,

Trying to find the best possible way to emigrate to NZ. Ideally it would be as a PR through SMC, but unfortunately hubby is a HGV driver and as yet it is not included on the LTSSL, just the ISSL. So it sort of put our plans on the back boiler... then, after having had another good look at what amounts to an offer of skilled employment on NZIS website, I realised that my line of work is actually classed as skilled employment, but the hubby's regretfully is not.

So... if I were able to gain an offer of employment in my line of work, it should still be possible to emigrate under SMC, as for some strange reason, despite his line of work being on ISSL and mine being on neither list, mine is classed as skilled employment and his is not:confused: Do they do this deliberately to confuse us?? Also, I realised that if my employment happens to be in one of the sectors of future growth, despite the fact that my line of work has really no connection, I would gain further points!!

So worked out on his skills, being on the ISSL, we get a measly 55 points!! But worked out on mine, on neither list, we get 135, or 155 if he gets an offer of employment too... :thumbsup:

Can someone confirm that I am correct in my understanding of this, cos I do get a bit girly and blonde sometimes and manage to confuse myself really easily :blink:

Karen xx

Hi Karen
This is a good point and I am hoping someone will clear this up.We are in NZ and I to am a HGV driver but My wife is a PA which is classed as a skill but not a shortage like yours.I am not sure about the exrta 20 points you claiming for your OH as truck driving is not classed as a skill for immigration purposes although it is on the ISSL.We to get 135 points for my wife and if you are correct and me wrong then we to would get the 20 points for my job.Be nice to clear this up .the one problem we have is that my wife earns below the threshold of $45000 but together we earn way over that so is that taken into consideration.I have heard of whispers of people been given PR earning less than $45000 but the company has to back them .How true this is who knows so if anybody has any experience is this field please let us know.
Thanks
Paul