Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Warning - Permanent Returning Residence Visas expire after 2 years

Warning - Permanent Returning Residence Visas expire after 2 years

Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

scracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant future
Thumbs down Warning - Permanent Returning Residence Visas expire after 2 years

Because of family illness, after 5 years living here, I'll had to unexpectedly return to the UK for 3 weeks. Advised most of my customers of thie and one of them tells me a story about how after a short holiday in OZ, him and his family were forced there and then to get ANOTHER return flight to OZ (over 2 grand) to sort out his visa.

"Surely not" says I, but I've just rung up the immigration department to be told that my returning residence visa expired after 2 years.

After gasping, I replied, "Nah, that was my original returning residence visa that said 2 years. This replacement one doesn't have have an expiry. In fact it says, "Number of entries - multiple" and "Please apply for a transfer of this visa when the passport expires" . And my residence permit says "indefinite"

Nope. Fleeced for another $150 and I don't have enough time before the flight for my citizenship application to be processed. Still, better than paying a few hundred to be kicked back out the country again upon my return. I can't grumble too much as they're going to process the visa quickly so I don't miss my flight. Just a warning to y'all.

Last edited by scracha; Apr 20th 2011 at 5:42 am.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:37 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning - Permanent Returning Residence Visas expire after 2 years

Eh?

If you had the original RRV and then applied for a further RRV it would have been indefinite. An IRRV. We went back and forth to the UK on the RRV and the IRRV before we gained our citizenship. No problems.

There is summat not right there.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

scracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Eh?

If you had the original RRV and then applied for a further RRV it would have been indefinite. An IRRV. We went back and forth to the UK on the RRV and the IRRV before we gained our citizenship. No problems.

There is summat not right there.
You're telling me. I've got a Residence PERMIT. This is indefinite. The PERMIT doesn't let me get back in the country as it says "This permit expires when the holder leaves New Zealand." Again, one would assume it means "leaves for good" and not "buggers off for a short holiday/family emergency".

I've also got a Returning residence visa. The does let me back into the country. It says "Number of entries - multiple". The previous one had a clear expiry date of 2 years. This one has "must not arrive after 29th May 2008" at the top right hand corner. I mistakenly (as do many others) believed that this was the last date of FIRST entry. When the immigration peeps handed this to me I was told it was permanent. My returning residents visa is no longer valid.

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1091

It seems I've to now apply for a Permanent Residence Visa (not residence permit) or (another) Returning Residence Visa.

Gah...there's a whole industry in bureaucratic madness.

I'm basically posting this as a warning to other people in similar situations.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Scracha

You are absolutely correct. I didn't realise this either and was stopped at Heathrow on our 2 week hols last year and told I didn't have a visa to get back into NZ - cue panic Fortunately he took my passport away and checked and told me I could as I was within the original 2 years of my residence visa being issued.

This is wrong however. When I returned to NZ, I filled out the forms, sent off my money only to get it returned. You have to reapply 2 years from the date of your original residence permit (stamp) and then you can come and go as you please if you meet the criteria.

So my original blue Residence Visa was issued 29 Oct 2008 which gave me 12 months to get here and a blue Returning residence visa which means I can come and go for 2 years from my stamp (i.e. first entry).

On my first arrival, I was issued a Residence permit - 23 Sep 2009 (stamp)
So by 23 Sep 2011 I must reapply for an indefinite something or other!!!

It's all a bureaucratic mess. I, like you, believed I was a permanent resident of NZ - but no. It only counts for 2 years and then you have to pay up again!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MOSO View Post
This is wrong however. When I returned to NZ, I filled out the forms, sent off my money only to get it returned. You have to reapply 2 years from the date of your original residence permit (stamp) and then you can come and go as you please if you meet the criteria.

So my original blue Residence Visa was issued 29 Oct 2008 which gave me 12 months to get here and a blue Returning residence visa which means I can come and go for 2 years from my stamp (i.e. first entry).

On my first arrival, I was issued a Residence permit - 23 Sep 2009 (stamp)
So by 23 Sep 2011 I must reapply for an indefinite something or other!!!

It's all a bureaucratic mess. I, like you, believed I was a permanent resident of NZ - but no. It only counts for 2 years and then you have to pay up again!
  • Oct 2003 Come here for just under 1 year for a reccie on the working holiday thing.
  • Early 2005. Get a job offer. Apply on the skilled migrant thing.
  • Aug 2005. I got a single entrance residence visa. Must not arrive after Aug 2006. 12 months to get here and 3 months to take up offer of employment.
  • Aug 2005. At same time, got a returning residence visa. 2 years from first stamp (see below)
  • Oct 2005. Arrive. Residence permit stamp on passport.,....holder may remain indefinitely. This permit expires when the holder leaves New Zealand.
  • May 2006. Got a returning residents visa, multiple entry. Must not arrive after May 2008 (so I assumed 2 years to 'get here' if I wasn't in the country. Didn't realise it meant it expired in May 2008.
  • May 2006. At same time, got another indefinite residence permit (big blue whole page thing like the visas). This permit expires when the holder leaves New Zealand. Again, didn't realise it meant I couldn't leave New Zealand for short trips.......I mean....what would be the point of also giving me the returning residents visa?
I thought the stuff they'd given us in May 2006 was the permanent returning resident thing. That was the what the implied when we asked if we'd have to get more visa's etc in the future. They told us our next step was citizenship*. To be honest, I don't understand the point of the stuff they gave me in May 2006. The permit I got in Oct 2005 let me stay here indefinitely anyway?

So you can stay here....you just erm....can't leave without asking permission to return. Maybe they hope you'll just leave all your posessions here and sell your house cheaply to some Kiwi or something :-)

I've heard other stories of people not getting in and being charged a fortune for a short notice flight to the nearest country (usually OZ). Common sense seems to be out the window. I mean, what's going to benefit the country more - putting a productive family's life on hold, potentially threaten their livelihood, having them line a hotel (Aussie) and airline's (often Asian or Aussie) pockets OR paying a few hundy directly for the immigration department to make a few phone calls and issue an emergency visa? The whole thing is a mess.

At the end of the day, I got lucky (through someone else's misfortune I've been informed of the error of my ways). The immigration lady on the phone was pretty helpful and she reckons there shouldn't be an issue getting the new visa in time. My post is merely to warn other (obviously stupid) people like me.

*we actually had all the forms filled out for this (had a to wait for the 5 year thing a bit longer as the girlfriend arrived a few months after me due to crazy English house sale process)

Last edited by scracha; Apr 20th 2011 at 9:16 am.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

totally confused
I have just completed 2 years and paid $160 got new blue stickers say indefinate not expiry, prior to this I had 2 year thing PR I presumed I had what was IRRV only one sticker and assume I can come and go as I please in fact I asked the Immigration officer if there was a next stage he said not until passport expire then $90 to transfer sticker???
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

re reading your explanation, you gained in 2006 PR but with a S18 on it which you had to prove employment etc, upon this you gained multiple entry for 2 years for which you had had certain contidions ie being resident for 184 days in each of the previous 12 months. If you did not do this you can still stay here but as you say would have trouble returning upon leaving.

We have just completed this and gone and got our 'IRRV' which has now changed its name which means we can come and go as we please for as long as we like if we want we can appply for citizenship
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:25 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I am completely confused by all this- did the visa system change around 2005/2006?
I don't understand why you got a Residence visa and permit and 2yr RRV in Aug/Oct 2005 and then got another RRV in May 2006. That first 2yr RRv would not have expired until Oct 2007

The residence permits do allow you to remain indefinitely in NZ but expire when you leave whether that is for a short holiday or for good. If your RRV is still current then you used to get another permit stamped into your passport [free of charge] on re entry to NZ.
Once your 2yr RRV had expired and assuming you had spent sufficient time in NZ and were still in NZ then you apply for an indefinite RRV which means you can leave for as long as you like and still return to NZ as a resident.
So I don't really follow what has happened with your visas.

Just to confuse everyone more, NZIS have now changed the terminology for the resident visas and RRVs. You no longer get a residence permit on arrival as they no longer exist, RRVs are no longer issued either. You must have a current RRV or resident's visa/ permanent resident's visa to re enter NZ.
Non-expired visa are deemed to be the new equivalent so no need to change anything until your passport [if an IRRV] or visa expires.
Think of it as residence visa/permit and 2yr RRV is now a resident's visa with travel conditions which last for 2 yrs. Indefinite RRV/ permit is now called a permanent resident visa. The rules are the same just different terminology!

Last edited by Persephone; Apr 20th 2011 at 9:37 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:49 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk View Post
re reading your explanation, you gained in 2006 PR but with a S18 on it which you had to prove employment etc, upon this you gained multiple entry for 2 years for which you had had certain contidions ie being resident for 184 days in each of the previous 12 months. If you did not do this you can still stay here but as you say would have trouble returning upon leaving.

We have just completed this and gone and got our 'IRRV' which has now changed its name which means we can come and go as we please for as long as we like if we want we can appply for citizenship
Does that mean that if you gained your residency with what was an S18 condition on it you would then get another 2yr RRV once that condition was removed?? I always assumed that the 2yr RRV ran from the date of your first residency permit and not when the conditions were removed. I didn't have an S18 so don't know and didn't need to know.

Looks like the main message to take away from this is to make sure you know exactly what your visa(s) mean and understand how the system works rather than make assumptions.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by janeyk View Post
Nope. One I got in 2005 had to prove employment etc. One I got in 2006 had no such conditions.