Warning about using agents

Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Warning about using agents

Please take heed of this and take advice from forum members.

I took on an agency in my attempt to move to NZ.
I paid them over £600 as the first half of my fee before i went over last year for a recce and to attend interviews i had set up myself.
Whilst i was in NZ i visited the agency once to see how things were going. They phoned me once whilst i was there and managed to arrange one interview for me. (didn't get the job)

I came back to the UK and heard nothing from them until i contacted them earlier this year and told them i was pulling the plug on attempting to emigrate.

Of course i broached the subject of a refund but guess what the answer was. Correct. NO.
£600 for what?
Save your money and ask your questions on here.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:55 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Warning about using agents

Snap! We lost £950 recently after changing our mind after a week of going with an agent. Gonna do-it-ourselves when the time and will still save against what we've lost already. Just need to wait it out til the end of the year/beg of 2010 as need job offer points so we can do the EOI. Don't want to be in NZ until next June/July so seems more realistic to wait until then as can't really expect an employer to offer job so far in advance. Also gives economy chance to pick up a little. Also, the process will be much quicker with a job too so there is some good in delaying things as we must.

It is a valid point you raised. It's ok to employ an agent if money is no object, but for the majority of people, the system is fairly straightforward with a good chance of success. It seems silly to pay someone else mega £'s for the priviledge of checking your forms - you still have to fill them in and provide the evidence - the agents don't do that bit, but feel the need to charge extortionate amounts of money all the same. You were wise to get out when you did and lucky you didn't lose too much.

So, have you decided to knock it on the head completely then?

Best Wishes, LB