Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Wandering if 105 points is worth applying

Wandering if 105 points is worth applying

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

drwatts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wandering if 105 points is worth applying

Hi guys,

My situation is I have filled in the online EOI and I have 105 points made up of thus:

id: 25
recognised qual: 60
recognised exp: 20

I am a web developer with 4 years experience and a degree from a recognised uni in computer science.

My wife Jane is an unregistered nurse - she is trying to get on a return to nursing course in April for 15 weeks - this will allow her to get back on the register and claim she is a registered nurse and she has about 10 years experience doing that. The trouble with 'return to nursing' courses is they are very hard to get on and due to the cutbacks most of the courses have been cancelled.

Without Jane doing the course or myself getting a job offer we have 105 points. Is there any point in applying and what are my chances if we do apply?

Thanks.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:13 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wandering if 105 points is worth applying

Welcome!
I've just had a quick look at the essential skills in demand lists on the NZIS website and web developer is on the long term skills shortage list which would give you extra points if you fit the criteria [it sounds like you may do]
Have a look at this: LTSSL web developer

I'm assuming your 60 points for quals includes 50 for your degree and 10 for a qualification in an area of skills shortage. Work experience of 4 years would give you 15 points not 20 and you would gain an extra 10 points for 4y work exp in an area of skills shortage. Points allocation

Recheck your points total and then have a look at this to see whether EOIs of that amount have been picked out recently. It will give you more of an idea of how successful you may be
History of Selection Points
Old Nov 24th 2010, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.

I have looked at the varios sheets u linked - very helpful thank you.

I am using the online EOI and it awards me 105 points so far (the in-built system does thsi) - I believe it should be more but there is no way I can add them manually.

It looks like there is a chance I will be selected I think - although tbh when they say we have selected 76 EOIs with >100 and <140 with 15 points for skills in a shortage area it doesn't mean too much as I don't know how many EOI's that fit that criteria where there in the first place. i.e. is it 76 out of 76 (great) or is it 76 out of 500 (not so great).
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Cheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really nice

We had 120 points with no jobs and we just waited it out. Got selected after about 4 months, sent in our ITA and got PR after an additional 5 months. So 9 months in total with no job offers. It made it so much easier to look for work with PR already in place.
So - you probably have a pretty decent chance of being selected especially with your relevant experience.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

just wondering did you have points from any of the bonus sections to get selected?
Old Nov 25th 2010, 10:56 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drwatts
Thanks for the reply.

I have looked at the varios sheets u linked - very helpful thank you.

I am using the online EOI and it awards me 105 points so far (the in-built system does thsi) - I believe it should be more but there is no way I can add them manually.

It looks like there is a chance I will be selected I think - although tbh when they say we have selected 76 EOIs with >100 and <140 with 15 points for skills in a shortage area it doesn't mean too much as I don't know how many EOI's that fit that criteria where there in the first place. i.e. is it 76 out of 76 (great) or is it 76 out of 500 (not so great).
All I can suggest with the EOI is recheck the areas where you are accumulating points and compare this to the points tables to try and work out the discrepancy and why there is one. For instance you say you have work experience of 4years, if you have for example 3years and 10m experience then you will only get points for 2 years. You can change your EOI once submitted if needs be.

I believe when it says 'All EOIs with a total of....' it means all. Otherwise there is usually a sliding scale of points eg 'All those with a job offer and with points between 120 and 135' They do not pick out the same number of EOIs every draw which implies that they pick out those that fit the categories rather than a predetermined actual number of EOIs. They do work to an approximate amount each draw though which is where they determine the cut off to be and how far down the list to go.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 2:26 am
Banned

robbyarg is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have 15 points BONUS work experience, IMO it's not a bad idea at all. So you need to confirm that.

Originally Posted by drwatts
Hi guys,

My situation is I have filled in the online EOI and I have 105 points made up of thus:

id: 25
recognised qual: 60
recognised exp: 20

I am a web developer with 4 years experience and a degree from a recognised uni in computer science.

My wife Jane is an unregistered nurse - she is trying to get on a return to nursing course in April for 15 weeks - this will allow her to get back on the register and claim she is a registered nurse and she has about 10 years experience doing that. The trouble with 'return to nursing' courses is they are very hard to get on and due to the cutbacks most of the courses have been cancelled.

Without Jane doing the course or myself getting a job offer we have 105 points. Is there any point in applying and what are my chances if we do apply?

Thanks.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Cheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really nice

no bonus points.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

figured it out - I do have 4 years experience - as I started a company a few months before i finished my degree... so therefore I cannot claim these months (to be recognised it has to be while I had a degree doesn't it?)

Therefore that leaves me with 3years and a few months exp.

Thanks for all the messages - EOI submitted now - fingers crossed
Old Nov 28th 2010, 6:27 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Good luck

Remember to inform NZIS if you get to 4 years work experience and have still not been selected. Extra points!