British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Visitors Visa to Temp Work Visa - Help? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/visitors-visa-temp-work-visa-help-494994/)

Elsie03 Nov 19th 2007 3:54 pm

Visitors Visa to Temp Work Visa - Help?

Hubby and I have taken the bullet and decided to come over on a Visitors Visa next April, with the intention of finding work - which we are hoping will not be too difficult once we are over there. If/when we land a job offer, we can then apply for a temp work visa.

Obviously, we need to have in our possession our police checks (valid no longer than 6 mths) and medicals (valid no longer than 3 mths).

Would you knowledgeable folks suggest that we obtain our police checks just prior to leaving the UK and then obtain our medicals in NZ? How long do they take on average to obtain in both UK and/or NZ?

Any help/advise much appreciated as always.

Elsie

simonmarkellis Nov 19th 2007 4:45 pm

Re: Visitors Visa to Temp Work Visa - Help?

Originally Posted by Elsie03 (Post 5574752)
Hubby and I have taken the bullet and decided to come over on a Visitors Visa next April, with the intention of finding work - which we are hoping will not be too difficult once we are over there. If/when we land a job offer, we can then apply for a temp work visa.

Obviously, we need to have in our possession our police checks (valid no longer than 6 mths) and medicals (valid no longer than 3 mths).

Would you knowledgeable folks suggest that we obtain our police checks just prior to leaving the UK and then obtain our medicals in NZ? How long do they take on average to obtain in both UK and/or NZ?

Elsie

Police checks take 40 days from them receiving the request, medicals in NZ, you'll have everything done and dusted withina couple of days - there very fast over here...

Elsie03 Nov 19th 2007 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 5574950)
Police checks take 40 days from them receiving the request, medicals in NZ, you'll have everything done and dusted withina couple of days - there very fast over here...

Thanks for this - certainly helps us with timings. Ta muchly :)

Dustybin Nov 21st 2007 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Elsie03 (Post 5574752)

Elsie

Wouldn't worry too much. We had neither when we arrived. We had to have chest x rays but only because we had spend over 6 months in asia (high TB areas). Work permits for less than one (could be 2, I forget) year you don't need police checks.

The way we have done it is get the one year work permit, apply for PR, send off for police checks (arrived exactly 40 days later!), soon we'll do our medical when the ITA arrives. This way at least we don't have to re do everything for out PR claim.

Either way hope it works out for you, relax and enjoy the ride :thumbsup:

nellyboo Nov 22nd 2007 3:11 am

I'm in the process of doing exactly this at the moment. I intended to apply under family quota for PR immediately but have been informed this could take up to 12 months!!!
Bring your Police check form with you (you don't need it if you're applying for less than 2 years)...I didn't and have been really bored for the last 33 days waiting for it to arrive :) If you get a 1 year visa and want to extend it you will need the police certificate.
Get your medical done here, you can see any GP. I had to wait a week for mine, it cost a total of $325 (drs appt, chest xray and standard blood tests), I'm led to believe that this is a lot cheaper than in the UK. The results were back in 2 days.
Also don't forget your long birth certificate, short forms aren't accepted.
There are NZIS offices all over the place here and I've found them to be pretty helpful.

Hope this helps and good luck

Marika 38 Nov 22nd 2007 6:54 am

Hi Elsie,
we've just come out in Oct, we just came into country with our passports, as we are Brits, thats all you need, they stamp your passport for a 6 month visit, tell them you are travelling around for 6 months, we had to buy return tickets, but these can be extended or part refunded when work visa is secured. OH has just got job offer after 4 weeks, so we are applying for 2 yr work visa, no police checks needed for 2 yr visa but you do need them for 3 yr visa. We have had to do medicals, much cheaper here than U'k too, we got in the day after we rang and asked for appt. At medicals all went very efficiantly.

Don't know if any of this helps, hope havn't confused you. :)

Sorry Nelly, i have seemed to just repeat what you said, i didn't read your post completely. !!!! Good advice though.

Elsie03 Nov 22nd 2007 8:56 am

Thanks very much folks for your advice, really appreciate it; as you all know there is so much to think about.

Ideally we'd like to secure a job offer prior to coming over so that we can apply/obtain a temp work visa (3 years) before we come out. That way our shipment company can see the visa in the passport and then they can ship our goods over. Whilst I have had an impromptu interview at the NZExpo and am now awaiting a telephone interview, Im conscious that nothing is guaranteed and we could still end up coming over as "visitors". So I think if its the latter, we'll come prepared with police checks ready to apply for a 3 yr work visa in NZ and take the opporunity of cheaper medicals once we are there.

I think Ive just repeated everything you fine people have just told me ;) Thats the joy of this Emmigration lark!

Thanks again guys (& gals?) :)

Elsie.

happynz Nov 22nd 2007 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Elsie03 (Post 5587324)
I think Ive just repeated everything you fine people have just told me ;) Thats the joy of this Emmigration lark!

I prefer to use the word 'immigration' as it implies there is someplace I'm going. 'Emigration' (not emmigration. It seems to be one of the most common errors on this board) is about leaving. Well, maybe that can be a good thing too, huh?

Originally Posted by Elsie03 (Post 5587324)
Thanks again guys (& gals?) :)

Elsie.

Good luck with it all and I hope New Zealand works out for you.

Dustybin Nov 23rd 2007 2:01 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5587822)
I prefer to use the word 'immigration' as it implies there is someplace I'm going. 'Emigration' (not emmigration. It seems to be one of the most common errors on this board) is about leaving. Well, maybe that can be a good thing too, huh?

Coming and going works for me, but there again I try not to use words I can't spell! :D

lele.juggins May 23rd 2008 2:59 pm

Are you now in NZ? Are you who I think you are?