Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Visitor's Visa - Partners of New Zealand residents and citizens

Visitor's Visa - Partners of New Zealand residents and citizens

Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Rain1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visitor's Visa - Partners of New Zealand residents and citizens

Hi
I have been in a long distance relationship with my partner for 5 years, he is a New Zealand resident.

We have read that to apply for a visitor visa, partners must show they are in a genuine and stable relationship but we have been unable to find out what this actually means. Do we have to have lived together for 12 months?

I know the UK is a visa free country and that I can have a 6 month visa but we are hoping I can stay for longer by applying for the visitor visa. I have already had the Working Holiday Visa.

Thank you for any advice given.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Sarah1999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visitor's Visa - Partners of New Zealand residents and citizens

You can apply for a work permit under the partnership category. You don't have to have lived together for any amount of time but you would have to live together while you were in NZ.

To "prove" a relationship, you just have to show evidence like letters to each other, photos, statements from friends and family supporting your relationship etc.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you want other info about this visa
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:14 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked on the NZ Immigration site? Partner is a residence category, not work permit (although that comes with residence), the rules are that your partner in NZ has to be able to sponsor you.... look here
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

You can apply for a work permit under the partnership category. Applying for residence under the partnership category has different rules. You have to have lived together for 12 months first and residence takes about 9-15 months to obtain while a work permit only takes about 3 months.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Thanks for your replies.
Where can we find more information about this work permit under the partnership category? We have looked at the New Zealand Immigration website and all we seem to be finding is visas where we have to have been living together for 12 months. We cant find anyway for us to be able to live together for 12 months.
Thanks again for your help.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Here's a link to the form - http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...INZ1015PDF.pdf. If you go to Section N that's where the partnership category is.

A lot of people don't know that you can apply for the partnership visa this way as INZ direct people straight to a residency application which requires a lot more paperwork. My partner and I have the work permit so feel free to ask any questions
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

here's a link with some further information too if that helps
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for posting the links. Hopefully this will work for us.

I hope its ok if I PM you tomorrow with some questions. Thanks again Sarah this is fantastic news for us we really cant wait to be together.

Happy Easter
Old Apr 4th 2010, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

No prob Feel free to PM. I know from experience getting answers out of INZ is not an easy task.