Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Visitor from UK - 6 months or 9 months allowed?

Visitor from UK - 6 months or 9 months allowed?

Old Sep 8th 2007, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Barpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant future
Default Visitor from UK - 6 months or 9 months allowed?

Hi there
I am a UK citizen and I'm coming to NZ as a visitor in November with the intention of securing a job offer and getting a work permit and then WTR.

Can somebody tell me if I am allowed 6 months as a visitor or can this be extended to 9 months somehow?

I am planning to book an onward flight to Australia instead of a return flight to Britain and I will have 19 months left on my passport at that stage.

Do I need a visitor visa or does everything get sorted at the airport when I arrive there?

any info would be great

thanks
Barry
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:30 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Visitor from UK - 6 months or 9 months allowed?

Hi Barry,

As a UK citizen you will get a six month visitor permit upon arrival. If you wish to stay a further three months you can apply to extend you visitor permit. I understand that you need to show NZIS that you have NZ$1000 a month if you don't have accommodation and NZ$400 per month if you have pre-paid accommodation (receipts will be asked for).

You are not allowed to stay more than nine months in an eighteen month period on a visitor permit. So, if you are coming here to get work you need to keep these restrictions in mind.

Good luck.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Barpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Visitor from UK - 6 months or 9 months allowed?

Thanks for the reply HappyNZ

Good to get the 9 months confirmed. I had 4 weeks in NZ in February so I may only get an extra 2 months.

Barry