British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Visiting New Zealand - Length of Stay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/visiting-new-zealand-length-stay-693554/)

sjb_red Nov 15th 2010 2:36 am

Visiting New Zealand - Length of Stay

Hi all

New to these forums and .... New Zealand :-) Been here for 8 weeks now ...having promised kiwi hubby of 10 years that we'd eventually 'go home' ...we're now here.

My mum is still based in the UK and will be spending her time between NZ and the UK until such time as I can sponsor her to stay permanently ...a long three years ahead!

This seems like such a basic question but I can't seem to find anything in the archives on it ...so here we go. Understand that British passport holders can stay in the New Zealand for 6 months at a time. I can't seem to find any reference to a maximum amount of time in a given period - if any. I note the very clear terms for those countries that do not fall into the visa-free categories - no more than 9 (?) months in a 18 month period. I have received advice that this does not apply to Briitish nationals. Is this true?

Would like mum to visit for extended periods but want to ensure we don't breach any conditions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

4pommes Nov 15th 2010 1:34 pm

Re: Visiting New Zealand - Length of Stay

If you have children then grandparents can stay for up to 18 months at a time.....

BEVS Nov 16th 2010 9:45 pm

Re: Visiting New Zealand - Length of Stay

From here

Multiple entry visitor’s visa for parents and grandparents of New Zealand citizens/residents

If you have family members in New Zealand and you wish to visit them, you may apply for a visitor’s visa under normal visitor policy to allow you to travel to New Zealand, or you may travel to New Zealand visa-free if you are a ‘visa waiver visitor’.

However, if you are the parent or grandparent of a New Zealand citizen or resident you may like to have the flexibility of a multiple entry visa, to allow you to visit your child or grandchild several times over a three-year period. To do this, you may apply for a visitor’s visa under the parent and grandparent multiple entry visitor’s visa policy.

To be eligible for a visa under this policy, you must apply from outside New Zealand, and you will need to complete full medicals and meet normal character requirements (you may include your partner in the application but not your children). Your New Zealand sponsor* will need to complete the Sponsorship Form for Visiting New Zealand (INZ 1025) PDF and must guarantee to meet the cost of your maintenance, accommodation, repatriation (if necessary) and healthcare costs (if required).

If the application is approved you will be issued a three-year multiple entry visitor’s visa, authorising a permit for a visit of six months from your date of arrival. You will not be able to extend the permit, however you will be able to enter and leave New Zealand during the validity of your visa, as long as you do not remain in New Zealand for more that 18 months during the validity of the visa.