British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Visit Visa to Work Permit - How difficult /easy? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/visit-visa-work-permit-how-difficult-easy-424911/)

sunny side Feb 8th 2007 2:44 am

Visit Visa to Work Permit - How difficult /easy?

Hi,

You learn so much by just reading the posts on this site. I have found them very helpful.

We are planning a visit in the next few weeks to see our family, who are there for more than 5 years. But at the same time we will also be looking at potential employment opportunities. Any advice or suggestion would be highly appreicated.

How easy or difficult it is to change a visit visa to work permit? Is the Immigration Department very tough on it?

Thanks inadvance.

Mari

Beachcombers Feb 8th 2007 6:49 pm

Re: Visit Visa to Work Permit - How difficult /easy?

Good day Mari

We arrived on visitors visa's in 2004 and went through the whole, working visa application and eventually PR whilst inside NZ.

It worked out fine for us, with no real major trauma's.

If you are thinking of this route, then you need to consider the following.

Technically immigration can refuse you entry, if they suspect you are arriving to look for work, so make sure you "look" like visitors to avoid a grilling.

A successful visa application, will in the end rely on the type of job you are going for and what steps your new employer has taken to recruit a kiwi. So if you have a job offer and your employer has tried to recruit internally in NZ with little success, then your chances are all the greater.

Remember, NZ has a very low unemployment rate, there are more jobs then people available.

Other than that, make sure you bring any relevant paperwork, qualifications certificates, open references from your employers, bank statements, proof of partnership etc These have to be either originals or certified copies, immigration will not accept photocopies, fax's or emails.

Good luck. :thumbup:

sunny side Feb 9th 2007 1:53 am

Hi,

Thank you for your kind advice.

I wonder how easy it is to secure a job in the travel field.

Also we have growing children who will require to go to school. Do work permit holders pay local or international fee?

What if we tell the Immigration that we have job interviwes lined up for our visit? Will they have a problem in granting visa?

Thank you,

Mari

Twig Feb 10th 2007 7:27 am

I've seen a similar question on another forum and general consensus was....you didn't admit you were looking for work if you are coming in on a visitors visa. Another couple I know, that did a similar thing were actually asked were they going to look for work and they said 'no' (the only small fib they made).

I believe your children are entitled to appropriate education (if on a students visa) but you will have to pay for it. It is only free if you have PR.

This is by no means totally accurate, just what I have read when also considering this option!

Anyway, good luck!:)