Visas questions

Old Jun 11th 2018, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Uchisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visas questions

Hi,

i have just been on the immigration website and I saw that now the SMC visa can take up to 10 months for the application to come through. That is a long time, are employers even employing people if they have to wait so long?

So, now we are thinking the work to residence visa might be better. however i read in a Living in NZ book that if you lose your job withing the temporary time, you lose your right to live and work in NZ even if you find another job. Is this true? This seems precarious and unfair.
If so, is there a way to be able to stay and work in NZ without having to move back to the UK and go through the same process?

Is it possible to go on the work to residence visa and then when in NZ after 6 months to apply for the SMC visa?

Hum, wondering if the work to residence visa is still there as I've only found information on specific purpose work visas....It's all so confusing. Would it be worth calling immigration and ask them questions? anyone knows if they are helpful?

Thanks for reading
Old Jun 12th 2018, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visas questions

Originally Posted by Uchisa View Post
Hi,

i have just been on the immigration website and I saw that now the SMC visa can take up to 10 months for the application to come through. That is a long time, are employers even employing people if they have to wait so long?

So, now we are thinking the work to residence visa might be better. however i read in a Living in NZ book that if you lose your job withing the temporary time, you lose your right to live and work in NZ even if you find another job. Is this true? This seems precarious and unfair.
If so, is there a way to be able to stay and work in NZ without having to move back to the UK and go through the same process?

Is it possible to go on the work to residence visa and then when in NZ after 6 months to apply for the SMC visa?

Hum, wondering if the work to residence visa is still there as I've only found information on specific purpose work visas....It's all so confusing. Would it be worth calling immigration and ask them questions? anyone knows if they are helpful?

Thanks for reading
Resident Visa via SMC has always taken several months. Ive always said you can count on at least 6-9 months when the application includes a job offer or at least 9 to 12 months without.
That has all changed now due to the government changes over the last couple years so meeting the correct requirements results in around a 10 month process with a job offer or some NZ experience but now much longer if you don't have a job offer or NZ experience as the rule is only to offer a job search visa in this case now.
When we started the process in 2010 with enough points for automatic EOI selection but no job offer it was likely to take anything from 6 months +. In total it took 17 months to get the approval then another 4 or 5 weeks until we had the passports in hand with visa stickers attached. Unfortunately the wife's medical was referred to a medical assessor and combined with their incompetence in that process it delayed us for maybe 9 months.

You are correct that an employer is unlikely to wait for so long but the solution as you say is a temporary work visa in the interim which takes a matter of weeks not months and allows travel much sooner. This could be a number of different types.....WTR being one of them however WTR has some specific requirements that you, the job offer and employer have to meet and unless the employer is accredited by Immigration this type may not be available to you.
Since the whole basis of a temporary work visa is due to the job of course you are at risk of not being able to stay should your circumstances change. This is not unfair. NZ isn't a charity and has to protect the interests of people who have the right to live and work here permanently. You'll find this condition in work visas worldwide.
It is possible that changing circumstances don't necessarily mean you have to leave. It is sometimes possible to just apply for another temporary work visa with respect to the different circumstances. There's no hard and fast rule. Immigration will treat every case individually. The best policy is to be open and honest and take whatever is thrown at you on the chin and keep within the law.

You can always have a Resident Visa via SMC application ticking away in the background assuming you have enough points to get the EOI selected.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Uchisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. It's good to Know it's not a black or white situation if the job falls through. Seems to be the best visa then.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

I came over on a tempory work visa but also had the SMC resident cisa workong away in the background...lots of money but def a good option my resident visa was actually granted the month after i arrived in country and a week after i started work lol.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Andrew.Family is an unknown quantity at this point

How long did it take for them to approve your visa after they had received it?

Hope all is going well.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew.Family View Post
How long did it take for them to approve your visa after they had received it?

Hope all is going well.
the work visa took two weeks, the SMC took 4.5 months