Visa & work advice

Old Oct 1st 2014, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Sarahelane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa & work advice

Hi

Myself and my husband and our young son are looking to move to New Zealand . We were advised that securing a job offer would be the best way to gain an open visa. So far applying from the UK has been unsuccessful

I have worked in telecoms for 12 years 8 years in management (sales) my husband works as a care worker n a children's home, I'm 35 and my husband is 30

Just wondered if anyone has any advice, is it difficult finding work when applying from the UK? One of the first questions I'm asked is if I have a visa which currently I don't?

Have any of you gone over on holiday to look for work?

Thank you
Old Oct 1st 2014, 10:09 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa & work advice

Hi Again

from what you have written I don't believe you would find it very easy to get work to up lift a visa, even if you were in NZ. the only option I can see, others may see it differently so may have other options for you, is to find an employee that cannot find a person in NZ all ready available to do the work or an accredited company, as neither sales manager or child care worker appears on any of the visa lists that I can see. You can't come over on a working holiday visa or a BUNAC as you have a child.
sorry it doesn't sound to hopeful atm but as I said others maybe able to offer a more positive response.

what skill level is you husband, so actual job title and qualifications?

Last edited by MrsFychan; Oct 2nd 2014 at 12:46 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sarahelane
Hi

One of the first questions I'm asked is if I have a visa which currently I don't?
Hi you sound like you are in the same position we were in, then we realised that most interviewers/companies don't understand the visa process.

You will probably need an accredited employer, then providing you fit the rest of the criteria, over $55k salary, then you could apply for a work to residency visa.

When they ask the question or before state 'of course being an accredited employer if you offered me the job then I can apply for a work to residency visa, which can be applied and issued within a week ' then listen to the silence as they wonder 'accredited employer/WTR visa'

Once explained they usually start to interview you as though they are likely to employ you

Good luck
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

I came over six years ago to look for work in telecoms after leaving BT where I was heading for a life sentence and I managed to get employed in NZ by an accredited employer at the time, although some months later.

What I say is that the telecommunications sector has been shaken up in the last 18 months like maybe no either, with TelstraClear being bought out by Vodafone and there being significant redundancies and Telecom being split up and forming Chorus, also leading to significant redundancies.

This doesn't mean you won't get anything of course it just means you need to stand out from the crowd, I would recommend you being here to meet people but of course you need to accept that it may not result in gaining a post. I would also recommend lining up meetings at target companies with the right people before you come and not going through recruitment firms.

Hope this helps in some way.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply
Do you know where I can find the lust of accredited employers?

It's sounds like it's going to be tough to find work but not ready to give up
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 6:42 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

if only

Accredited Employers List

please keep eye on expiry dates. OH company had to reapply for accreditation to hire as they had let it slip and didn't realise but then did not uplift the accreditation again.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks again for your advice
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply

It's sounds like it's going to be tough to find work but not ready to give up
My intention was never to put you off, but I felt you needed to know the issues in that particular sector at this time. That isn't to say that you won't get anywhere, far from it, just that you will need to stand out and with record numbers of people returning back to NZ etc, I do feel that being here is a necessary but expensive part of trying.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

I'm greatful of honest advice Robbo thank you . I have looked at the list of accredited employers but the website doesn't seem to work very well I can't see past the first page
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Not sure what's going on your end, I just looked at it and it worked fine for me. I don't believe there is another place to get a straight forward list.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:01 pm

works ok for me as well
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:53 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

The list also says something about 'those who have agreed to make their accreditation public' so there may be more out there!