British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Which Visa and Which Way?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/visa-way-663512/)

Angelaoliver Apr 11th 2010 1:57 pm

Which Visa and Which Way?!

Hi everyone

My husband and I have just returned for a 4 week holiday in New Zealand. We hated every second of coming back and desperately want to live in New Zealand.

We discussed just going for 12 months, rent our house out find jobs and rent a flat or something over there. But we looked at the Visa applications and it states that you need to be under 30. I am 28 and my husband is 34.

So we applied for a skilled visa which I passed on the basis of getting a job offer over there. I am a graphic/apparel designer so am lucky that it's recognised as a level 1 skill.

However finding a job from the other side of the world is proving very difficult.

Is there a way thr my husband can get a 12 month visa by being married to me if I get one?

If not, is there any merit in me going over on a 12 month visa trying to find a job and then he could come over?

Or am I just way off the mark and should give up this fantasy?!

Hope someone out there can advise me :)

Thanks
Angela

RobDon Apr 11th 2010 9:45 pm

Re: Which Visa and Which Way?!

Have you filled in the points indicator on NZIS and if so how many points do you currently have?
You must be under 30 to apply for the Working Holiday Visa but NZ accepts skilled people on other visa`s up to the age of 56. :)

BEVS Apr 12th 2010 1:23 am

Not sure I understand but that isn't unusual.

So we applied for a skilled visa which I passed on the basis of getting a job offer over there.
:unsure: It doesn't happen like that.

Do you mean you have applied to emigrate under the skilled migrant policy? If so, that will be a joint application .

If you mean that you want to apply for a temporary work visa then it is job offer first and then you can apply for the work visa. Your husband would also apply for an open work visa on the back of your skilled temp. work visa application.

Angelaoliver Apr 12th 2010 7:42 pm

Sorry BEVS I haven't explained myself very well - I filled out an application on the visa bureau website for myself and my husband, I got an email back explaining that they wouldn't be able to start the process until i got a job offer, but it looks promising.

The application was for both of us, but I am the only one who is skilled.

Also, the email didn't explain if the job offer needed to be in my skilled area, I assume it does.

But failing getting a job from the other side of the world, my main question is if i got a 12 month under 30 visa and got any old job out there while I tried to get a 'proper' job, would that be easier? Then if and when I get settled out there, my husband could come and meet me?

Sorry for all the questions!

Hi RobDon - I can get in on the under 30 and the skilled visa, but my husband is 34 and unskilled :( I did do the points system and I think I got 104 which was acceptable - I will do this again to be sure.

Thanks for the help guys!

simonsi Apr 13th 2010 7:06 am

Scrath the visa bureau, use the proper NZ immigration site, that has the real data and information, all the info and processes explained:

www.immigration.govt.nz

Don't use any agent, they charge a fortune and you will get better info from the peeps on this site (for free) :thumbup:

simonsi Apr 13th 2010 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Angelaoliver (Post 8490855)
but my husband is 34 and unskilled

Doesn't matter, if you get a permit he is elegible for a spouses permit whatever his age or skills (not sure that applies to the working holiday but it certainly does to all others.)

Angelaoliver Apr 14th 2010 10:37 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8492037)
Doesn't matter, if you get a permit he is elegible for a spouses permit whatever his age or skills (not sure that applies to the working holiday but it certainly does to all others.)

Thanks!!

Angelaoliver Apr 14th 2010 10:37 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8492026)
Scrath the visa bureau, use the proper NZ immigration site, that has the real data and information, all the info and processes explained:

www.immigration.govt.nz

Don't use any agent, they charge a fortune and you will get better info from the peeps on this site (for free) :thumbup:

Great advice thank you!