Visa : Tourist, work or skilled?

Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Location: Currently live in Colchester Essex and would love to swap it for Christchurch in NZ!
Austins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant future
Default Visa : Tourist, work or skilled?

Happy New Year to you all.. since I wasnt busy thought I would do some research on my favourite topic of moving to NZ.. now I am scared witless

My husband is a carpenter with a Gold CSCS Skills card which is equivalent to an NVQ3, but hasnt got an NVQ as such as the obtained this under grandfather rights. He is getting an NVQ2 assessment by February.

We tried the route of Australia and fell at first hurdle with the TRA saying that he didnt have the right qualifications. So instead of going alone we contacted a firm of lawyers who also do immigration in NZ through an Expo we visited as I had no idea what was the best way to come out to NZ.

They have advised us the only way to secure a job would be to come out on a visitors passport, look for a job, once this was obtained, "whack in" a work visa and go for permanent visa at same time.

On this information, we thought, okay best thing to do is put the house on the market, sell up everything and come out with 18 year old kids, both studying.. one as a personal gym instructor and the other as a hairdresser.. me, I'm a secretary.

Long winded moo I am I know.. but I'm getting there.. promise! lol

What I want to know is .. should I be doing the EOI myself? Should I get his skills assessed first, I was told by lawyers that because he has 20 years experience this would be more than adequate for a NZ employer than qualifications.

I am starting to think once and if I ever sell my house, we will all get ourselves out there and have no job, no home and totally alone.. apart from you guys of course

Any advice would be appreciated.. especially as the boss is still away.. this little mouse is playing!
Lena
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: Visa : Tourist, work or skilled?

Hello

Happy new year to you too.

just a few thoughts - NZ immigration is not difficult to go alone - before you pay out huge amts of money to get someone to do it for you, consider doing it yourself. the website is self explanatory and unless you have a complicated case - you should be ok to do it solo plus there are some really helpful people out there on this forum who have lots of great advice and help when needed.

so, do the EOI yourself is my advice. and yes, get skills assessed first if you can because NZQA has a reputation for takes months and months to assess skills and rather get it done sooner than later when you are in a hurry and already have your ITA and only have 4 months to submit it in.

lots of people have done it that way - gone on a holiday visa and found work. it's been done! Plus with your hubby's experience, i am pretty sure he shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job so maybe that is the best route for you guys. but have you tried the points test on the NZIS website yet? if you get enough points (particulary if you have points in a shortage area) you might be able to get PR first, before you go.

Good luck
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:55 pm
Banned

gedsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Austins
Happy New Year to you all.. since I wasnt busy thought I would do some research on my favourite topic of moving to NZ.. now I am scared witless

My husband is a carpenter with a Gold CSCS Skills card which is equivalent to an NVQ3, but hasnt got an NVQ as such as the obtained this under grandfather rights. He is getting an NVQ2 assessment by February.

We tried the route of Australia and fell at first hurdle with the TRA saying that he didnt have the right qualifications. So instead of going alone we contacted a firm of lawyers who also do immigration in NZ through an Expo we visited as I had no idea what was the best way to come out to NZ.

They have advised us the only way to secure a job would be to come out on a visitors passport, look for a job, once this was obtained, "whack in" a work visa and go for permanent visa at same time.

On this information, we thought, okay best thing to do is put the house on the market, sell up everything and come out with 18 year old kids, both studying.. one as a personal gym instructor and the other as a hairdresser.. me, I'm a secretary.

Long winded moo I am I know.. but I'm getting there.. promise! lol

What I want to know is .. should I be doing the EOI myself? Should I get his skills assessed first, I was told by lawyers that because he has 20 years experience this would be more than adequate for a NZ employer than qualifications.

I am starting to think once and if I ever sell my house, we will all get ourselves out there and have no job, no home and totally alone.. apart from you guys of course

Any advice would be appreciated.. especially as the boss is still away.. this little mouse is playing!
Lena
Hi Lena . my wife and myself are going the holiday visa and getting ajob when we get there route. We are paying someone to sort it for us. My mate is now in Christchurch with his wife. They went out oct 08,we're using the same chap as they did. I think the biggest problem is going to be the housing market in the uk. We can't do anything until it's sold. Here's hoping.By the way what are Grandfather rights? I'm a time served tradesman and I've never heard that expression.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedsy
Hi Lena . my wife and myself are going the holiday visa and getting ajob when we get there route. We are paying someone to sort it for us. My mate is now in Christchurch with his wife. They went out oct 08,we're using the same chap as they did. I think the biggest problem is going to be the housing market in the uk. We can't do anything until it's sold. Here's hoping.By the way what are Grandfather rights? I'm a time served tradesman and I've never heard that expression.
Means time served, awarded for having held equivalent for a period of time.
Well that's our understanding of it
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Location: Currently live in Colchester Essex and would love to swap it for Christchurch in NZ!
Austins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant future

Afernoon, feeling much better about it today, thanks for your advice all.
My other half says "grandfather" rights, I think its an old term as you said for time served, he is getting on you know

We are also looking to go to Christchurch and I hear you on the housing market. Put ours up for sale in September last year and only had one viewer, interested so they said, four months on and still waiting! I think once we get an offer I will panic and that will gear me to do more. I am at the stage where I think, oh well, no-one buying so I have time to research.. only I tie myself up in knots, panic and blog you guys! Vicious circle to be in, quicker I get a buyer the quicker the boot up the a$$ will come to get me moving!

Good luck with the house sale and keep me posted.

Lena
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:27 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As we have previousuly discussed, do get the carpentry qualifications & work exp assessed by NZQA . You need to know that New Zealand Immigration will accept his trade skill level for points under the Skilled Migrant Category, othwise no points for the trade skill .
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Bevs, thanks for the message. He is having his now undertaking to go to a two day course where they assess his skills in the UK and give him a trade certificate for an NVQ2, even though his card says he is NVQ3 which gives me a second bite at the cherry when it comes to being assessed by them. Don't want to be knocked by as I was with the TRA saying that he had no qualifications and to pay more to them to have it re-evaluated.

Thanks again and will keep you posted once I have sent them off and what they come back with.
Lena x
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Still waiting for the house to sell. Called the estate agent at the weekend.. to say I came off the phone with steam out of ears is an understatement. "Ah yes, Mrs Austin, remind me, what is your address again.. ah let me get the file and I will call you back in 10 mins" TWO HOURS later.. he calls to apologise as he has been "hectic" .. funny as he doesnt seem to be hectic sending anyone to my house! Needless to say after a very short conversation with him, he's got two weeks to pull his finger our or I switch. Jeez, I know its difficult to sell but even sending my details out would be doing something for me!

Anyhow to end on a good note, we have some fab news to add, OH has been assessed and now has a trade certificate of an NVQ2 to add to his CSCS Gold trade card. He's also now going for the NVQ3 assessment after Easter. Got to do something whislt waiting for a buyer. Once they are obtained will get them assessed by NZQA, then the fun begins.

Speak soon and thanks for helping me vent earlier
Lena x