VISA Query

Old Jan 9th 2015, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

LozBeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VISA Query

Hi Everyone

We're on a Residents Visa for 24 months but can't find our travel restriction conditions listed anywhere. Just reference to s49 of the immigration Act 2009 (looked up online and again no reference to travel restrictions).

My OH seems to remember something about not being able to leave the country for more than three months in each year.

Thing is, I want to book a flight home for 3.5 months which staggers our date of entry. So if the three month restriction is correct and valid from the date of entry, I'll be taking two months from year one and 1.5 months of year two. However I'm taking them back to back so I don't know if this is allowed

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2015, 1:38 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VISA Query

from link above in sticky
"You have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months immediately preceding your PRV application"

so as long as you have those amounts you should be ok
Old Jan 10th 2015, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LozBeth
Hi Everyone

We're on a Residents Visa for 24 months but can't find our travel restriction conditions listed anywhere. Just reference to s49 of the immigration Act 2009 (looked up online and again no reference to travel restrictions).

My OH seems to remember something about not being able to leave the country for more than three months in each year.

Thing is, I want to book a flight home for 3.5 months which staggers our date of entry. So if the three month restriction is correct and valid from the date of entry, I'll be taking two months from year one and 1.5 months of year two. However I'm taking them back to back so I don't know if this is allowed

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks
First of all I don't understand your reference to being on a Resident Visa for 24 months?
Resident visas are essentially permanent - i.e. they allow a person to to live study and work in NZ permanently. It is only the 24 month travel condition that complicates matters for people who wish at some point to leave and return to NZ on that visa as the travel condition expires after 24 months of first entry.

If you have travel conditions on your visa then it will be stated on the visa which is stickered in your passports.
Have a look what the actual visa states at the top - i.e. "Resident Visa" or "Permanent Resident Visa" and at the bottom there will be an area stating Conditions :

What does it say ?

For instance my old Resident Visa stated .....

Conditions : Visa valid for further travel for 24 months (s) from first arrival. Initial stay subject to grant of entry permission. Visa is invalid if holder is outside NZ with expired travel conditions. Please apply for the transfer of this visa when the passport expires.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

LozBeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: VISA Query

Thanks for the advice,

Sorry for the confusion, I'm on a Residents Visa with 24 month travel restrictions.

I checked my passport and the conditions are identical to yours escapedtonz.

We apply for PR at the end of this period so with what Mrs F has said I should be ok :-D
Old Jan 13th 2015, 1:29 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

You should be ok.

Also the conditions only apply to the principal candidate and not the dependents so even if you [on your own] wanted to leave for 8 months in each year you should be fine as he would still be in NZ
P