Visa quation

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

robc1985 will become famous soon enough
Default Visa quation

I have been looking at moving to New Zealand with my Girlfriend. I do Civil Engineering and after looking at detail it appears that I can get permanent residency there. The problem is, that it says you mist have been living with your partner for a year to submit a joint application.

With this being a issue I would have to look at getting a 1 year working Visa which will hopefully be extended to 2 years. Can you shed any light on if the same rule applies regarding living with your partner.

Thanks in advance.

Rob.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:53 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa quation

I've had a look and I'm not sure whether the 12m rule applies or not.
This is if your partner wants to join you and work under the Family Stream

Your partner holds a New Zealand work permit
If your partner holds a work permit for more than six months we may grant you a work permit for the same length of time your partner is allowed to work in New Zealand.

You must show that you are in a genuine and stable relationship with your partner. Your partner must:

be eligible to sponsor you
meet the character requirement for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications’
intend to be in New Zealand for the period you apply for in your application
provide a completed Form for partners supporting partnership based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF.

It just mentions being in a genuine and stable relationship. They may not be as strict if you are applying for a temporary visa but I just don't know, sorry. You could try emailing NZIS via their website, under "contact us" on the website. Or hopefully someone will come along who has a work permit and can give you some better advice
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:00 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

I am applying for a work visa, and we will apply for my partner once mine comes through only as he is still waiting on some police check from abroad.

I have contacted NZIS on numerous occasion & although they advised me "you must have lived together for over a year" They also say you need to proove you're in a genuine & stable relationship... I think we're ok after 5yrs (even though we dont currently live together due to work commitments). as we have loads of evidences.

Hope my little story can help you!

Good luck!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of the type of visa you are applying for, any partner that wishes to be included with your application must have been living with you for at least a year and you must be able to prove that this is a joint and stable relationship.

If you cannot show this, then your partner would have to apply in his/her own right .