British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   visa possibility when occupation is different from qualification (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/visa-possibility-when-occupation-different-qualification-599043/)

roobers Mar 21st 2009 8:20 pm

visa possibility when occupation is different from qualification

I'm looking to work in NZ temporarily (18 months to 2 years), but am unsure whether I can get a visa to do that.

Here's the situation: my specific IT occupation is on the skill list, and also on the LTSSL. I've more 11 years direct experience in this, and further years before that in other related IT jobs.

The sticking point is that whilst I do have an honours degree, it's in something entirely unrelated, and despite many years in the software industry I don't have any formal qualifications in IT.

Am I likely to get turned down for a visa because of this, even if I get a job offer for NZ?

Thanks,

roo

samiam2009 Mar 24th 2009 3:27 pm

Re: visa possibility when occupation is different from qualification

Hi roobers,

I am not sure exactly how you would go about it. but from what i have learned from the previous post and the immigration website is that if you have a job offer that is on their shortage list then you can apply under SMC as you will be getting points for the job offer and as long as you have more than 100 points you can apply.
Thats what i have realized but you might want to double check.

roobers Mar 24th 2009 10:43 pm

Thanks samiam, it does look like it might be ok if I can get a job offer first. Bit of a chicken and egg situation though as I might need to go out to NZ to get one though - but apparently you can apply for a work permit there and then if a job is landed.

Cheers,

roo

BEVS Mar 24th 2009 11:38 pm

You would need a job offer first and then you apply for the temporary work visa/permit. You will need to show NZIS that you are able , qualified and experienced for the work. Your work experience may stand you in good stead in lieu of a formal qualification in the field. Just make sure you have all your proof to hand to back up your claim that you can do the job offered to you.

You may have to come to NZ to obtain the job offer. You would enter on a visitors visa & then if you found a job offer you would apply for a temporary work permit via an NZIS office here in NZ.

With the application you will need meds and a police check also.

from this thread

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
Just mentioned in another thread - if he has proven experience and can secure a job offer then you dont need any IT qualifications.