visa/points question

Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

gazns83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visa/points question

Hi there,
I have been reading your posts for many months, and enjoyed reading such interesting stories following your moves to nz. Lots of questions answered on life in nz should we make the move from Manchester.
We have researched and been to an expo in Manchester in March, and asked as many questions as we could think of at the time. Now I have started EOI online, and I think unfortunately we do not have as many points as I thought.
Initially I am sure that my partner's occupation 'joiner' appeared on one of the shortage lists, and gave us extra points at least for work experience if not a job offer. I may have it wrong. But either way now Ive gone and looked at stssl, ltssl, and absolute shortage list joiner doesn't appear now. It appears on Canterbury skills shortage list only. Do you not receive bonus points for Canterbury skills shortage list, or am I doing EOI wrong? Im not usually so dim, but think the points allocated at first glance at expo is slightly misleading, and reading the nz immigration website for hours and hours is so complicated going from link to link and tables. Please share your knowledge and expertise with me, many thanks
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:38 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visa/points question

I believe the EOI is for applicants apply for PR

the Canterbury List is for temporary visa's, again I believe, only for the length of the term of employment so you would have to apply through a different route

clink on the link in the Canterbury Skill Shortage List of the link below

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...tialskills.htm
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

gazns83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes EOI is for residency visa which is my preferred option. Thanks for info re; temporary visa - sounds right and explains why canterbury list doesn't seem to be an option on EOI application. Im very confused with the whole visa thing atm, feeling stressed. Can anyone offer any advice?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:14 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
It's normal to be stressed out

You can only claim points for an occupation in absolute skills shortage if that occupation appears on the LTSSL only. The CSSL and ISSL have nothing to do with the EOI.
The ISSL means that an employer can offer you a job and you can apply for a Work Visa without having to prove no NZers are available. The same applies to the CSSL though obviously in Chch only. These are temporary visas with no direct route to residency.

Is your partner the principal candidate? Have you tried doing the EOI with you as the principal?

It may be that you'll need a job offer to get enough points to stand a good chance of an EOI being selected.
Hope this helps, I'm on an iPad so it's a bit of a pain typing!

How many points do you currently have and how are they made up?