British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Visa Options (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/visa-options-769050/)

mswales Aug 21st 2012 8:46 pm

Visa Options

I'm currently preparing for an interview with an accredited company in New Zealand. In doing so I have been looking at the various visa options available for me and my family (wife and three young children).

While I believe I qualify for skilled migration I noticed that the processing time can be three months after being invited to make an application. This seems like it could be a prohibative amount of time for a new employer.

To facilitate being able to move more quickly would it be possible for me to move on a work visa, the children on study visas and my wife (who doesn't work) using the visa waiver program and then apply as a skilled migrant once in New Zealand?

GoingIn2011 Aug 22nd 2012 11:50 am

Re: Visa Options

Originally Posted by mswales (Post 10239115)
I'm currently preparing for an interview with an accredited company in New Zealand. In doing so I have been looking at the various visa options available for me and my family (wife and three young children).

While I believe I qualify for skilled migration I noticed that the processing time can be three months after being invited to make an application. This seems like it could be a prohibative amount of time for a new employer.

To facilitate being able to move more quickly would it be possible for me to move on a work visa, the children on study visas and my wife (who doesn't work) using the visa waiver program and then apply as a skilled migrant once in New Zealand?

Yes, that's exactly what I did (well almost - I submitted the eoi and the work visa applications at the same time; frankly I would do one at a time - lots of form filling!)

MrsFychan Aug 22nd 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Visa Options

Originally Posted by mswales (Post 10239115)

If you have the spare money you can but most employers are aware of the need for a visa to be obtained so it could be something you negotiate if you get offered the position. If you have enough points to submit EOI (what points do you have?) do that now and that if you get a job offer you can just amend the EOI to include the new points, that way least you will be in the system