Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Visa for a Mortgage Broker/Mortgage Adviser

Visa for a Mortgage Broker/Mortgage Adviser

Old Oct 10th 2018, 9:39 am
Just Joined

TheLuckyLuc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa for a Mortgage Broker/Mortgage Adviser

Hi all,

Completely new to the forum, so sorry if this has been asked before!

I'm 24 and currently working as a Mortgage Broker (for the past year and a half) but have always wanted to move to New Zealand. Looking into options, Mortgage Brokers don't appear on the long-term skills list and I'm just a little confused with the wording on the skill shortage checker that the government website has.
It mentions "Finance Broker is on the following lists: Skill level classification" - which seems to apply to every possible occupation? Does that section mean you can claim points for skilled immigration if you can meet the criteria that's set out i.e. apply for PR?

The other curve-ball is that I'm in the process of switching into a "Mortgage Adviser" role with a bank, so to my understanding it would come under a completely different category now with the NZ skills list and effectively would need to "restart" my accumulation of skilled work experience, is that right?

I guess my main question really is: Does the "skill level classification" section allow you to apply for PR if you can meet the defined criteria, regardless of whether your occupation is on the long-term skill shortage list or not? If not, I'll need to start looking at re-training into a profession that's more sought after!

Hope the above makes sense and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Luc
Old Oct 11th 2018, 8:09 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for a Mortgage Broker/Mortgage Adviser

skill level allows you to be offered a job, if you met the criteria for the visa, the level of salary determines how long the visa would be valid for and who can apply. Lower level is usually just allows a single person and as these are temp visa's they would not lead to PR

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...skills-details
Old Oct 11th 2018, 8:26 am
Just Joined

TheLuckyLuc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa for a Mortgage Broker/Mortgage Adviser

Ah that makes more sense now, thank you! Time for me to re-train by the looks of it!