Visa and jobs, what order?!

Old Sep 24th 2016, 8:59 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 1
stevederby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa and jobs, what order?!

hello!

I have recently been considering NZ more than AUS as a place to relocate from UK.

I keep reading you wont get a visa unless you have a job offer and all the jobs seem to require a visa

anyone do it? experiences?

also, i see there are a good few jobs in IT ( my field) on the likes of seek etc, but does anyone know if they are filled easily by locals atm?

thanks in advance
stevederby is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2016, 10:30 pm
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
MrsFychan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
Posts: 8,864
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa and jobs, what order?!

its job offer then visa if you have less than 140 points on the EOI
MrsFychan is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 3:09 am
  #3  
Nz
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury
Posts: 368
moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa and jobs, what order?!

It was a job then a visa for talented work to residency visa
moving2NZ2013 is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 5:22 am
  #4  
MODERATOR
 
MrsFychan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
Posts: 8,864
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa and jobs, what order?!

Originally Posted by stevederby View Post
also, i see there are a good few jobs in IT ( my field) on the likes of seek etc, but does anyone know if they are filled easily by locals atm?

MrF advertised for a web developer the other month and had over 40 applications and they were the ones the agents thought could do the job, no idea how many actually put their CV's forward.
Lots of companies go through agents who sift out the better contenders before sending them through to the person requiring the position filled.
MrF got loads of good feed back to his CV whilst in the UK but got no offer just lots of "come for a coffee", "see you when you are over" type responses.
He took the decision to come over for 3 weeks and have a look around, got a job offer, got a temp work visa to enable him to start work, updated his EOI to show job offer and got the PR visa 4months later.
MrsFychan is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2016, 10:38 pm
  #5  
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 19
andy1133 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa and jobs, what order?!

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
MrF advertised for a web developer the other month and had over 40 applications and they were the ones the agents thought could do the job, no idea how many actually put their CV's forward.
Lots of companies go through agents who sift out the better contenders before sending them through to the person requiring the position filled.
MrF got loads of good feed back to his CV whilst in the UK but got no offer just lots of "come for a coffee", "see you when you are over" type responses.
He took the decision to come over for 3 weeks and have a look around, got a job offer, got a temp work visa to enable him to start work, updated his EOI to show job offer and got the PR visa 4months later.
Wow three weeks! He must have had a kickass CV or contacts.
andy1133 is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2016, 2:05 am
  #6  
MODERATOR
 
MrsFychan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
Posts: 8,864
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa and jobs, what order?!

that was back in 2011 and he came over when there was a large IT expo on so met quite a few people and handed out lots of business cards, but did get the job through an agency.

He belongs to lots of IT related discussion groups and joined some before he came over, techsoup I think was one of them.
MrsFychan is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2016, 2:50 am
  #7  
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 19
andy1133 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa and jobs, what order?!

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
that was back in 2011 and he came over when there was a large IT expo on so met quite a few people and handed out lots of business cards, but did get the job through an agency.

He belongs to lots of IT related discussion groups and joined some before he came over, techsoup I think was one of them.
Thanks for the info. That might be useful to me in the future.
andy1133 is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2016, 4:30 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Hazelnut's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 567
Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa and jobs, what order?!

MrH is on the look out for work. He's gone through a couple of agencies but also a couple of personal contacts and we now have some, 'come for a coffee' meetings loosely arranged for when we're over in NZ again, hopefully soon. We don't have 140 points without a job offer so need one to kick off the visa application.

It's common to get the job offer and then apply for SMC visa. While waiting for that to progress people then go out on a temporary work visa in order to take up the job as SMC visa applications take many months.
Hazelnut is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.