Visa and jobs, what order?!

Old Sep 24th 2016, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

stevederby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa and jobs, what order?!

hello!

I have recently been considering NZ more than AUS as a place to relocate from UK.

I keep reading you wont get a visa unless you have a job offer and all the jobs seem to require a visa

anyone do it? experiences?

also, i see there are a good few jobs in IT ( my field) on the likes of seek etc, but does anyone know if they are filled easily by locals atm?

thanks in advance
Old Sep 24th 2016, 10:30 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa and jobs, what order?!

its job offer then visa if you have less than 140 points on the EOI
Old Sep 27th 2016, 3:09 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

It was a job then a visa for talented work to residency visa
Old Sep 27th 2016, 5:22 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevederby View Post
also, i see there are a good few jobs in IT ( my field) on the likes of seek etc, but does anyone know if they are filled easily by locals atm?

MrF advertised for a web developer the other month and had over 40 applications and they were the ones the agents thought could do the job, no idea how many actually put their CV's forward.
Lots of companies go through agents who sift out the better contenders before sending them through to the person requiring the position filled.
MrF got loads of good feed back to his CV whilst in the UK but got no offer just lots of "come for a coffee", "see you when you are over" type responses.
He took the decision to come over for 3 weeks and have a look around, got a job offer, got a temp work visa to enable him to start work, updated his EOI to show job offer and got the PR visa 4months later.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 10:38 pm
Banned

andy1133 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
MrF advertised for a web developer the other month and had over 40 applications and they were the ones the agents thought could do the job, no idea how many actually put their CV's forward.
Lots of companies go through agents who sift out the better contenders before sending them through to the person requiring the position filled.
MrF got loads of good feed back to his CV whilst in the UK but got no offer just lots of "come for a coffee", "see you when you are over" type responses.
He took the decision to come over for 3 weeks and have a look around, got a job offer, got a temp work visa to enable him to start work, updated his EOI to show job offer and got the PR visa 4months later.
Wow three weeks! He must have had a kickass CV or contacts.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 2:05 am

that was back in 2011 and he came over when there was a large IT expo on so met quite a few people and handed out lots of business cards, but did get the job through an agency.

He belongs to lots of IT related discussion groups and joined some before he came over, techsoup I think was one of them.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 2:50 am
Banned

andy1133 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
that was back in 2011 and he came over when there was a large IT expo on so met quite a few people and handed out lots of business cards, but did get the job through an agency.

He belongs to lots of IT related discussion groups and joined some before he came over, techsoup I think was one of them.
Thanks for the info. That might be useful to me in the future.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

MrH is on the look out for work. He's gone through a couple of agencies but also a couple of personal contacts and we now have some, 'come for a coffee' meetings loosely arranged for when we're over in NZ again, hopefully soon. We don't have 140 points without a job offer so need one to kick off the visa application.

It's common to get the job offer and then apply for SMC visa. While waiting for that to progress people then go out on a temporary work visa in order to take up the job as SMC visa applications take many months.