Visa expired, Can you still work??

Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:22 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visa expired, Can you still work??

This is not for me, but someone I know...

If your visa is about to expire, you've lodge a new application and await decision... Can you still work, pending decision?? Providing you can prove you've applied?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Sarah1999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa expired, Can you still work??

Hi

I'm pretty sure you can't work. What sort of visa is your friend currently on? I take it he/she is already in NZ?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all

Its best to check with NZIS however I think that once a visa has expired (depending on the type of visa) I assume it is a work visa?

Once the visa has expired then the person will not have the required permits to continue working.

But to make sure its best to check with the Immigration Service sooner rather than later, your friend does not want to be considered an overstayer and potentially jeopadise any future applications.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:55 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember reading somewhere on the NZIS website that in order to legally be in NZ you must hold a current visa/permit and that if you are awaiting a decision you must reside offshore from NZ whilst this is being processed. Can't find where I read that now though.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all

This is from the NZIS website regarding work permits /visa's:

I've been working in New Zealand under a temporary Work Permit, which allows me to work here for two years. Can I have this time extended?
You may be able to apply for a further Work Permit that will allow you to extend your stay and work in New Zealand for up to a total of three years. Whether or not you’re eligible will depend on the reason you were granted your permit for the two years. For example, it may be a restriction of the category under which you originally applied.

My work permit has nearly expired but I'd like to stay for another three months to holiday in New Zealand before returning home. What are my options?
You need to apply for a Visitor’s Permit, before your Work Permit expires. This will allow you to stay in and travel around New Zealand. Find out about Visitor’s Permits.

Basically no permit no work. However it is best to contact NZIS they will be able to give further options and expert assistance.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 10:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If your visa is about to expire, you've lodge a new application and await decision... Can you still work, pending decision
The person can work right up until the expiry date of the temporary work visa / permit and not one day over. Once the permit/visa passes the expiry date , then the person must not work until a further current visa/permit is issued.

As this person has a current application in the pipeline, all they can do is to contact their NZIS case officer and also have the NZ employer contact the NZIS case officer on their behalf.

When the temporary work permit expires , the person should leave NZ, as they have no leave to remain in the country, unless they obtain a visitors visa.