Visa confusion

Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:54 am
Just Joined

thehaytons has a brilliant futurethehaytons has a brilliant futurethehaytons has a brilliant futurethehaytons has a brilliant futurethehaytons has a brilliant futurethehaytons has a brilliant future
Default Visa confusion

Hi everyone,
Just wondering which is the best visa for us to get into NZ.My wife is the main applicant as she is a deputy head in primary,but I have no skills and at the moment im a househusband to our 4yr old son.If we get in I would have to work part time when he started school.We thought a 3yr work permit would be quickest if she got a job offer but then I started thinking about me getting a job in the future, so now im a bit confused any help would be great.
Cheers.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 11:04 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Visa confusion

Hi Haydens and welcome to the little Nz forum.

The first thing your wife should do is to send in her qualifications for assessment to NZQA. Once she has the assessment , she will apply for registration with the NZ teaching council.

Should she gain an NZ job offer she would either apply for PR or a temporary work permit , whichever suits you best as a family.

If it is a temporary work permit , then you would be granted an open work permit on the back of her application. You could take up any NZ job.

If you go straight for PR , then equally you would also apply for PR and be able to take up any NZ job.

hope that helps.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thehaytons
Hi everyone,
Just wondering which is the best visa for us to get into NZ.My wife is the main applicant as she is a deputy head in primary,but I have no skills and at the moment im a househusband to our 4yr old son.If we get in I would have to work part time when he started school.We thought a 3yr work permit would be quickest if she got a job offer but then I started thinking about me getting a job in the future, so now im a bit confused any help would be great.
Cheers.

as a partner, effectively, you get the same work permit as her. so if she gets PR, you get PR. if she gets a 3 year work permit, you get a three year work permit, with the same expiry date, only yours is an open workpermit not tied to any industry or employer.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

thehaytons has a brilliant futurethehaytons has a brilliant futurethehaytons has a brilliant futurethehaytons has a brilliant futurethehaytons has a brilliant futurethehaytons has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Visa confusion

Thats really cleared that up for me,thanks a million BEVS and newkiwi Im sure I'll be asking loads more questions in the future.
Getting quite addictive reading this forum
Old May 6th 2008, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Raquel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!! Did your wife get a work permit at the end? Did she have an offer? I'am asking you this question as I have been offered a one year contract,initially,to teach Maths in a school in NZ, but my intention is to stay longer. Can I get a work permit for longer than one year? Cheers
Old May 7th 2008, 12:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If the contract is for one year, then the work permit will be for one year. If you then get a new contract for another year, you would apply for another one year work permit.
Old May 7th 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raquel
Hi!! Did your wife get a work permit at the end? Did she have an offer? I'am asking you this question as I have been offered a one year contract,initially,to teach Maths in a school in NZ, but my intention is to stay longer. Can I get a work permit for longer than one year? Cheers
Hi, may I ask, did you go over to NZ and get job or did you do it all from UK?
Did you get work visa first or job offer first?
Sorry OP for nicking your post
Old May 7th 2008, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Raquel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your answers. I contacted immigration in London today and they confirmed me that I can only apply for one year work visa if I've been offered one year contract. Cheers