Which visa is best for us please.

Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Tina1912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Which visa is best for us please.

My husband and I am hoping to emigrate to NZ within the next year or so, depending on the timescales. We are hoping to go over either on skilled migrant visas or Invenstment Visas. My Husband has run his own business here in telecoms for over 12 years and also has a Masters Degree. I have an BA (Hons) degree and am also a qualified telephone engineer.

At one point it looked like a company he was doing work for here would employ him out over there but they have now shelved their expansion due to the recession here but we've been bitten by the bug to go!!.

My husband has already set up a bank account in NZ for use so that if we do look at renting/buying then the funds are there already. He needs to go over to formalise the paperwork for bank etc and hopes to spend approx 10days there, perhaps looking at property as well.

Anyone any idea what kind of visa he should apply for - could he get a tourist visa for his initial visit and then we will apply as a family for Business/Skilled Migrant Visas or do we just go for them first.

Sorry this is a bit rambling but it seems, as with most things, we set our hearts on something only to have it snatched away so now we're going to go on our own steam. My DH is 51, I'm 40 and little girl of 10.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly received.

Tina
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:07 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Hunting in NZ

Have you worked out your points total if you/he apply as a Skilled Migrant? Would it be enough to get you selected without a job offer? You need to look at the history of selection points to get an idea of whether you/he would be selected.
Depending on your points total and circumstances you could get residency without a job offer via the SMC.
I don't know much about investment visas, sorry

What else is he going to do whilst in NZ? Is he planning on applying for jobs and setting up interviews whilst here? It may be better to sort out whether you can get a visa before arranging bank accounts and accommodation.
Or are you planning on starting up a business?

Sorry, lots of questions from me. It's hard to answer some of your questions without more information
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Hiya

We both have enough points for SMC, but as we have a business here we also have the option of using sale of our current business to set up a business in NZ as well, which is what he really wants to do.

I don't mind loads of questions, I'll just add them to the ones buzzing round in my head since he first broached the idea .

Tina
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:22 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Was thinking that if you have enough points to get selected and get residency without a job offer then you can do whatever you want when you get to NZ. You would have residency. Unfortunately I don't know anything about investment visas to be able to help you there.
We both have enough points for SMC
Just to clarify, you both apply on the same EOI. Only one of you would be the principal applicant, pick whoever has the most points [taking into consideration the longterm skills shortage list]. You may realise that and I've just read it incorrectly

As for questions, this immigration thing will keep throwing up more and more
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:01 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Id go SMC if you have enough points, much more predictable result and timescale than LTBV AFAIK.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:20 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree also if you have enough points for SMC then that is the easiest option. as for setting up bank accounts have you looked of running costs. I know on ours with National Bank we just opened it in UK with no money then just went into the branch on arrival and got the cards and showed passport etc, we also do not pay fees as husbands wage goes into it and as it is over a certain amount the fees are waived.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Which visa is best for us please.

Hi Everyone

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for all your helpful advise. Looks like we will be going SMC. I wasn't sure about the EOI and whether we applied separately so thanks Persephone for pointing that out. .

We'll get the EOI completed and then sent off and then I suppose we just have to hope for the best .

Tina
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:18 am
Queen of the Underworld

Just out of interest how many points do you have? Do you have enough for an automatic selection? Having >100pts does not necessarily mean you will get selected. Again you may know this, I am not wanting to put a dampener on things just making sure you know
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Hi

My husband points total is 165 and mine is 150, so fingers crossed.

We know it's not guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination and trying not to get our hopes up too much, but we also feel if nothing else we have to give it a go. At least then we can say we tried.

Tina
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:40 am
Queen of the Underworld

All EOIs with 140 points or over will be automatically selected at the next draw so there should be no problems You do not need a job offer to be given residency via the SMC either [the alternative is that you can be offered a jobsearch visa instead of residency]
If you both have over 140 points then it doesn't matter who goes as main candidate.

Just curious as to how you got that points total without a job offer. It does seem very high given your husband's age. Did you work it out via an EOI or the points indicator?

Might have worked it out-is he claiming the maximum bonus points for qualifications and work experience in both skills shortage and future growth??

Last edited by Persephone; Jun 5th 2012 at 10:45 am.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:45 am
Just Joined

My husband is Director of his own Telecommunications Company and has run the business for 12 years. He also has a Masters Degree. I too have Telecommunications experience and qualifications. I also have a BA Hons Degree and currently work as a Programme Administrator for a University.

To be honest it was his age we were most concerned about .

Tina
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:50 am
Queen of the Underworld

Added a sentence to my last post-was I right

Just asked because the points indicator is incorrect in allowing you to add up points for more than one qualification whereas in reality you can only claim for one qualification.
The non principal candidate's qualification will add 20 points to the EOI.