British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Visa application times (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/visa-application-times-607407/)

adamlt1972 May 6th 2009 3:04 am

Visa application times

Hi all,

Having moved to Australia in November 2008 I've been looking for work for a while but nothing seemed to be happening. Consequently I turned my attention to New Zealand and applied for a number of jobs.

However, while being interviewed for posts in NZ I've been offered a post working for a council in Queensland. As is normally the way with these things, nothing comes along for 6 months, and I've found out yesterday that I've also landed a job offer working for a Council in the south island.

Although this is a great position to be in at this time I've now got to decide which job to accept. One important issue for me is the speed with which I can get a visa processed, as I'm currently living on savings and they're dwindling rather fast.

I'm aware of the fact that my potential employer is an accredited employer, and that I'd need to go through the medical and police checks, but has anyone any experience of how long the process takes from start to finish in New Zealand. The recruitment consultant seems to think that the most significant delay often occurs as a result of getting police checks back from the Uk.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Adam (a suddenly very stressed job hunter)

Persephone May 6th 2009 3:36 am

Re: Visa application times

Hi,
Well congratulations on getting two job offers though in typical fashion they've both come at once just to add that bit of extra spice to life:lol:

If you apply for PR under the skilled migrant route you would be looking at at least 2-3m I would say. Have a look under "branch contacts" on the NZIS website, pick the one nearest to your job and look up their processing times.
The following link takes you to the Christchurch timings:
Christchurch branch processing times

So you can get a Work to Residence visa very quickly, your employer is accredited so you would apply under the Talent[accredited employers] work policy. You have to be working over 30 hours per week and earn over $55,000 per annum. You could also apply for PR at the same time if you wanted permanent residence quicker than the 2 years it takes under the WTR scheme.

Do you have any personal preference as to where to live rather than going on which country will give you a visa the fastest? It would not be worth taking a job solely on that criterion as you probably realise:p
Good luck on whatever you choose. Let us know what you decide:thumbsup:
Sue:D

adamlt1972 May 6th 2009 3:45 am

Hi Sue, and thanks for your advice.
To be honest, I'm completely torn by the whole thing. I lived in New Zealand for 2 years a few years ago (albeit in Auckland) and I loved it, only returning to the UK for personal reasons. When I decided to return I only chose Australia because I was given the impression the labour market was better there than in NZ.
Part of me does feel as though I've got through the tough times in Australia, so I'd be foolish to leave now I've got the job offer, but maybe thats just me being pig headed. If I looked at it completely logically NZ would be a better choice; the job is better, the pay is better and I imagine Christchurch would be a nicer town than where my job offer is in Australia (although the North Queensland climate is lovely). But there again we're not always logical are we?
Adam

daisy blue May 6th 2009 5:29 am

Hi

I know someone with experience of going through PR with the chch branch last year (I think they had a reasonably straightforward PR application). Their processing times were substantially less that the maximums stated on their website (which I think are the quickest in NZ).

However, this is not the way to make your decision. Really it's not, even though I'm sure you want everything to be sorted as quickly as possible. Think about where you want to live. It might not be forever, but it's a big commitment and its worth a few extra months now.

Good luck

db.

adamlt1972 May 6th 2009 5:45 am

However, this is not the way to make your decision. Really it's not, even though I'm sure you want everything to be sorted as quickly as possible. Think about where you want to live. It might not be forever, but it's a big commitment and its worth a few extra months now.

Good luck

db.[/QUOTE]

Of course, you're totally right, and I plan to take all the pros and cons into account. But if there was a significant disparity in processing times I would have to take that into account. Unfortunately I just can't afford to sit round for months waiting for the visa to be processed.

However, the information you're giving seems to point to the fact that the whole thing can be done in NZ relatively quickly, and the other post relating to the possibility of applying for PR alongside the work to PR visa is very encouraging from an NZ point of view.

Persephone May 6th 2009 9:20 am

To be honest, I'm completely torn by the whole thing. I lived in New Zealand for 2 years a few years ago (albeit in Auckland) and I loved it, only returning to the UK for personal reasons. When I decided to return I only chose Australia because I was given the impression the labour market was better there than in NZ.
Part of me does feel as though I've got through the tough times in Australia, so I'd be foolish to leave now I've got the job offer, but maybe thats just me being pig headed. If I looked at it completely logically NZ would be a better choice; the job is better, the pay is better and I imagine Christchurch would be a nicer town than where my job offer is in Australia (although the North Queensland climate is lovely). But there again we're not always logical are we?
It sounds like logic is pushing you to NZ but that there's a large bit of you that wants to stay in Australia for purely emotional reasons [ that is not meant in a derogatory fashion]. Can you see yourself looking back in a few years time and wishing you'd given it a go in Australia? The "what ifs?"
Obviously you need a job quickly. If you go to NZ then you are not cutting off that possibility of Aus forever. If you get PR, get an indefinite returning residents visa then you could always go elsewhere and return to NZ at a later date if you desired to. That would be one advantage to getting PR earlier than the 2y it takes on a WTR visa-you could get an IRRV sooner. You get a 2y RRV when you are first granted PR so if you gain PR through the WTR visa alone then it would be 4y before you got an IRRV.
Bit waffley :rofl: but hope it makes sense
BTW I do like Christchurch:thumbsup:
Sue :D