British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Visa Application Medical Request for Info (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/visa-application-medical-request-info-926037/)

Narbs Jun 27th 2019 5:44 pm

Visa Application - Medical Request for Additional Info
 
Hi Everyone,

I have been offered a job in construction working in Auckland. We have submitted our Talent (accredited employer) work visa and partner to INZ along with police checks and medicals.

The emedical has come back and asked for additional information regarding some prescribed medication I am taking. I am currently taking sertraline for mild anxiety and they have asked for a full report from my doctor including history and management etc. Hoping to have this sent off back to INZ after the weekend.

Was wondering if anyone else has had this raised in the past and if it has caused them any issues? Worried that the visa may get rejected? Also, we've maybe jumped the gun a bit but we were hoping to move over early to mid August and worried that this request may add a lot of extra time onto the application time in receiving the visa.

Any experience or advice on this would be greatly appreciated! Starting to worry me a bit now.

Thanks

MrsFychan Jun 29th 2019 7:35 am

Re: Visa Application Medical Request for Info
 
Hi Narbs,
do not have the answer you may be looking for but feel you would not put a burden on the NZ healthcare system so you should be good to go, but it does all depend on what the medical assessor and the information provided

Stuttye83 Jul 4th 2019 6:10 am

Re: Visa Application Medical Request for Info
 
​​​​​Hi Narbs
first of all congratulations on securing work in NZ and as to the previous post I’m sure I wouldn’t be a burden to the nz government/healthcare system.
can I just ask that I am also in construction and currently in the uk but looking to move to nz with my family but after trawling trademe and seek I still cannot find companies offering talent visa for skilled overseas people. I’m constantly looking at different sites and all I read is boom in construction workers needed from overseas to fill the gaps!
how did you manage to secure work?
all the best in your new adventure I’m sure it will work out all ok.

Narbs Jul 4th 2019 6:45 am

Re: Visa Application Medical Request for Info
 

Originally Posted by Stuttye83 (Post 12706447)
​​​​​Hi Narbs
first of all congratulations on securing work in NZ and as to the previous post I’m sure I wouldn’t be a burden to the nz government/healthcare system.
can I just ask that I am also in construction and currently in the uk but looking to move to nz with my family but after trawling trademe and seek I still cannot find companies offering talent visa for skilled overseas people. I’m constantly looking at different sites and all I read is boom in construction workers needed from overseas to fill the gaps!
how did you manage to secure work?
all the best in your new adventure I’m sure it will work out all ok.

Hi Stuttye,

Thanks for your comment, I'm hoping so to. I'm assuming it's just going to mean my visa may take longer to come through.

I'm not sure what job you do? I work as a site manager and managed to secure mine by getting in touch with a couple of agencies. Initially through this a only managed to secure one Skype interview (where the other end's Skype didn't work so turned into a phone interview which was pretty poor). After that it went quiet again and after speaking to the recruitment agents, I popped over to NZ for a week. As soon as I booked flights I had lots of companies offering interviews and of the 7 I had whilst there, 6 offered me a job.

Appreciate it was probably easy for me to 'just pop over' as I don't have any kids and my partner and I have been saving for a while. If you let me know what you do then I can maybe point you in the right direction however.

Cheers

Stuttye83 Jul 4th 2019 2:44 pm

Re: Visa Application Medical Request for Info
 
Thanks for reply Narbs and they do say it’s better to see people face to face so that definitely worked in your favour that way!
my background is civils from being a plant operator to being a supervisor for the last few years looking after teams repairing sewers and pumping pains, manholes and all other things that come with working in the highway. I do know that city and Guilds is exempt over their and they recognise these as all my training has been with citb. Sounds a good idea going to see companies face to face but like you said it’s easier with no kids I have 3! Lol. What agencies did you use? I might give them a go.
thanks again and all the best for the future.

escapedtonz Jul 5th 2019 12:58 am

Re: Visa Application Medical Request for Info
 

Originally Posted by Stuttye83 (Post 12706447)
​​​​​I still cannot find companies offering talent visa for skilled overseas people



You won't.
Companies in NZ don't offer any employee a visa. It is not their responsibility and not something they can legally do. They can't even offer proper Immigration advice as to the visa path a potential employee should take as they aren't approved to do so by Immigration.
Some NZ employers have employed many staff from overseas and a particular visa path may work better for them than others so they may well push a specific one - i.e. Talent / Accredited Employer or maybe Work To Residence. In terms of these temporary work visas the employer has to be involved with the visa process as you only have a chance of success with their help and the job offer. Ultimately it is your responsibility to secure a visa that will let you live and work in NZ and that is between you and INZ. The company will complete their own employer document for INZ which will form part of your visa application..

escapedtonz Jul 5th 2019 1:12 am

Re: Visa Application Medical Request for Info
 

Originally Posted by Stuttye83 (Post 12706642)
my background is civils from being a plant operator to being a supervisor for the last few years looking after teams repairing sewers and pumping pains, manholes and all other things that come with working in the highway. I do know that city and Guilds is exempt over their and they recognise these as all my training has been with citb. What agencies did you use?

If you want to try and remain working on the highways you need to be researching the roading contractors / civil engineering contractors around NZ - e.g. Downer, Higgins, HEB Construction, Taylors etc. Basically each 'area' has a roading company that has the contract and responsibility to maintain the major roads in their 'area'. Other than this any new major roading construction job approved by government goes out to tender and a civil engineering company or companies are chosen to complete the work. Each local council and maybe even NZTA/Transit NZ has their own roadies to take on the smaller jobs or the ones on the more local roads.
Yes all City & Guilds and I think NVQ qualifications are all exempt from assessment here in NZ.
Hays, RobLawMax Recruitment, Hard Hat Recruits are some of the recruitment agencies but there are many. Probably a good idea to go with one that specialises in Civil.
Canstaff are extremely popular for tradie jobs and may also do civil stuff ?

MrsFychan Jul 6th 2019 12:58 am

Re: Visa Application Medical Request for Info
 
I have 3 kids and the only way OH could secure a job was to come over and have interviews. Shows you are committed. Boots on ground means an awful lot. He also did not return on his visit over and managed to uplift a job during his first week and was working on a temp work visa the second week. meant that all the UK stuff had to be undertaken by me. We also have the PR Visa running in UK which at that time was easier and when we got the agreement for visa finalised myself and the kids where already here in NZ on visitors visas so we just had the final part of getting the stickies in the visa transferred to NZ.

Narbs Jul 7th 2019 4:06 pm

As stated above, the best way is to search the civil companies websites for the jobs. Trade Me etc won't be the best place to find them.

Examples are Downer, Fletchers, McConnell Dowell etc. These companies are all tried and testing at helping people emigrate into NZ and are generally accredited with NZ immigration.



It is quite likely that they would have a lot more interest if you said you were coming over. The recruitment guys I use don't specialise in what you do but I think Catalyst Recruitment NZ may be able to help.

Cheers

There's currently a job on Fletcher building website for an infrastructure worker (can't post the link cos I've not been on the forum long enough). The role is doing civil work.

Stuttye83 Jul 16th 2019 7:20 pm

Re: Visa Application Medical Request for Info
 
Hi everyone thanks for all your replies, I have some extensive searching to do!
me and the wife have talked about what you believe is best by coming out to NZ and speaking to companies face to face. I just need to find some companies then see if they are willing to interview me if I’m over there.

Narbs Jul 16th 2019 8:32 pm

Re: Visa Application Medical Request for Info
 

Originally Posted by Stuttye83 (Post 12711163)
Hi everyone thanks for all your replies, I have some extensive searching to do!
me and the wife have talked about what you believe is best by coming out to NZ and speaking to companies face to face. I just need to find some companies then see if they are willing to interview me if I’m over there.

I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of a job over Skype to start with but it's quite difficult.

I think your starting point is to be looking and applying to the right companies and seeing what their response is initially. Some may be willing to do this. If not, then it would be worth looking at going over to show your commitment to the potential move.

I did have 1 Skype interview (which didnt go very well due to numerous reasons) but then they dried up and I ended up going over. This was in agreement with a couple of recruitment agents I'd been using who then proceeded to use their contacts to line up interviews. My advice would be to speak to a couple of suitable recruitment companies as well and make sure your CV is up to date and you know why you're looking to go to NZ.

Cheers

MKJudge Aug 13th 2019 12:40 pm

Re: Visa Application - Medical Request for Additional Info
 

Originally Posted by Narbs (Post 12703659)
Hi Everyone,

I have been offered a job in construction working in Auckland. We have submitted our Talent (accredited employer) work visa and partner to INZ along with police checks and medicals.

The emedical has come back and asked for additional information regarding some prescribed medication I am taking. I am currently taking sertraline for mild anxiety and they have asked for a full report from my doctor including history and management etc. Hoping to have this sent off back to INZ after the weekend.

Was wondering if anyone else has had this raised in the past and if it has caused them any issues? Worried that the visa may get rejected? Also, we've maybe jumped the gun a bit but we were hoping to move over early to mid August and worried that this request may add a lot of extra time onto the application time in receiving the visa.

Any experience or advice on this would be greatly appreciated! Starting to worry me a bit now.

Thanks

Hey,

How did you get on with the GP report and medical? I'm also taking a low dose of sertraline and my OH is on meds for a couple of things so we are pre-empting the requirement for a GP report but OH was at his yesterday and asked but he said they don't do it.
I'm wondering if we have to wait until it is requested and if so how long is the wait for that?

Hope you have it sorted
Karen

Narbs Aug 13th 2019 5:17 pm

Re: Visa Application - Medical Request for Additional Info
 

Originally Posted by MKJudge (Post 12722526)
Hey,

How did you get on with the GP report and medical? I'm also taking a low dose of sertraline and my OH is on meds for a couple of things so we are pre-empting the requirement for a GP report but OH was at his yesterday and asked but he said they don't do it.
I'm wondering if we have to wait until it is requested and if so how long is the wait for that?

Hope you have it sorted
Karen

Hi Karen,

We got on fine with hours. Emedical sent a request for additional info to The Edinburgh Clinic (who we used for medical) and I spoke to them to find out requirements which they emailed to me. They then said I could get a letter from my GP or come and see their psychologist for a letter (the latter would cost £400).

I went to GP who I had to make an appointment to see and the wrote the letter for me off the back of that. Tool the GP about a week to turn around the letter for me which I then submitted straight back to the Edinburgh Clinic who then submitted to Emedical straight away.

Including the week it took to turn the doctors letter around, it took us just over 4 weeks to get our visas through with absolutely no issues at all. Currently sat in a hotel in Bangkok for a few nights before we land in Auckland to start our new adventure!

Good luck and if you need any more info then let me know.

Cheers

MKJudge Aug 13th 2019 6:32 pm

Re: Visa Application - Medical Request for Additional Info
 

Originally Posted by Narbs (Post 12722654)
Hi Karen,

We got on fine with hours. Emedical sent a request for additional info to The Edinburgh Clinic (who we used for medical) and I spoke to them to find out requirements which they emailed to me. They then said I could get a letter from my GP or come and see their psychologist for a letter (the latter would cost £400).

I went to GP who I had to make an appointment to see and the wrote the letter for me off the back of that. Tool the GP about a week to turn around the letter for me which I then submitted straight back to the Edinburgh Clinic who then submitted to Emedical straight away.

Including the week it took to turn the doctors letter around, it took us just over 4 weeks to get our visas through with absolutely no issues at all. Currently sat in a hotel in Bangkok for a few nights before we land in Auckland to start our new adventure!

Good luck and if you need any more info then let me know.

Cheers

That's great news!
We're in Scotland too so will use the Edinburgh clinic too. We're not at that stage yet but trying to get as much done before we go over and see what happens!
One quick question just now if you don't mind?
Police Scotland don't do the certificates I see it's ACRO but states on their site they can't get criminal history for Scotland so do we use both?
Thanks for your update and good luck in your adventure.

Karen


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:56 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.